ADVERTISEMENT

Who has the better wrestling supporters - Iowa or Penn State?

GG121AND2

HR All-American
Aug 1, 2007
There's been lots of recent posting about who has the better wrestling fans - the Hawkeyes or the Nittany Lions. There have been lots of unsubstantiated claims, but little proof. I propose a battle of the fan bases with actions replacing empty braggadocio.

Thanks to a "put your money where your mouth is" frequent Penn State fan poster on Hawkeye Report, Wrestling for Life is establishing an annual scholarship fund to one or more Ken Chertow wrestling camps for athletes from Beat the Streets-Philadelphia. I challenge both fan groups to make donations to Wrestling for Life this week. Donations from Penn State fans will go into the BTS-Philly scholarship fund and donations from Hawkeye fans will help start a fund to assist financially challenged families attend the U of I father/son camp. The winner will get an extra $200 added to their gifts from the WFL general fund.

Let the wild rumpus begin!

http://www.wrestlingforlife.org/index.php/donate

There's been lots of recent posting about who has the better wrestling fans - the Hawkeyes or the Nittany Lions. There have been lots of unsubstantiated claims, but little proof. I propose a battle of the fan bases with actions replacing empty braggadocio.

Thanks to a "put your money where your mouth is" frequent Penn State fan poster on Hawkeye Report, Wrestling for Life is establishing an annual scholarship fund to one or more Ken Chertow wrestling camps for athletes from Beat the Streets-Philadelphia. I challenge both fan groups to make donations to Wrestling for Life this week. Donations from Penn State fans will go into the BTS-Philly scholarship fund and donations from Hawkeye fans will help start a fund to assist financially challenged families attend the U of I father/son camp. The winner will get an extra $200 added to their gifts from the WFL general fund.

Let the wild rumpus begin!

http://www.wrestlingforlife.org/index.php/donate

How do we let you know which fan base the donation comes from? I don't see anything on the form that lets us designate. BTW, great idea. Much better way to show your colors than just ranting on a message board!!

Oh, so money talks. That's how PS recruits. If I'm not mistaken, I think Iowa fans have showed up for one meet at 42,000 plus FANS. How does the real fans in the seats match up against PS. I thought I seen where there held their last match in a gym with a cap. of 7,000. Guess that trumps that 42,000? But if you're from PS you have money to do your talking:)

How do we let you know which fan base the donation comes from? I don't see anything on the form that lets us designate. BTW, great idea. Much better way to show your colors than just ranting on a message board!!

There is a spot to make notes - and Penn State has taken the early lead.

Well - this was a bad idea. The thread just provided one more avenue for sniping. On the good side - the BTS-Philadelphia camp scholarship fund did grow overnight.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
Well - this was a bad idea. The thread just provided one more avenue for sniping. On the good side - the BTS-Philadelphia camp scholarship fund did grow overnight.
When I saw the title for the thread I thought "oh great, someone just threw a grenade". But after seeing it, it's a good idea for raising some money, and it plays to Penn State's conceit.

Reactions: DarkThunder#61

Not a bad idea at all. Some people just can't resist the opportunity to take something good and turn it into their own agenda. Keep up the good work-focus on the good it does for the kids and the sport, not on how small minds respond to it.

It seems as if the Hawkeye fans have taken a big lead.

Let me just say that I am thrilled you are getting a good response. No matter which side "wins", we know who the real winners are: the kids and the sport. The individual nature of the sport is also the nature of how we will grow the sport: one person at a time. We don't have the advantage of lots of media coverage converting kids in large numbers. What you are doing addresses them as individuals and that's the backbone of our sport.

Quick example: the other day the 12 year old daughter of my girlfriend told me that she picked wrestling as her activity this semester in gym. I asked her why she did it. She said: "'cause of you". There's one more person giving it a shot. Who knows where it will go, but at least it was a start.

Let me just say that I am thrilled you are getting a good response. No matter which side "wins", we know who the real winners are: the kids and the sport. The individual nature of the sport is also the nature of how we will grow the sport: one person at a time. We don't have the advantage of lots of media coverage converting kids in large numbers. What you are doing addresses them as individuals and that's the backbone of our sport.

Quick example: the other day the 12 year old daughter of my girlfriend told me that she picked wrestling as her activity this semester in gym. I asked her why she did it. She said: "'cause of you". There's one more person giving it a shot. Who knows where it will go, but at least it was a start.

Well done.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye

Iowa Wrestling: Gaining 1 convert at a time.

Reactions: GG121AND2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT