ADVERTISEMENT

Who Here Has A Will? What's Your Advice?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I'm thinking of taking my first stab at making my Will. I figured I would check out a couple of the free websites or apps just to get the ball rolling.

Something called Do Your Own Will and another called Fabric seem get some recommendations. Has anyone tried them? Any good?

Do you think something like that will be good enough for someone without a very complicated set of assets?

XtlizF.gif

I'm thinking of taking my first stab at making my Will. I figured I would check out a couple of the free websites or apps just to get the ball rolling.

Something called Do Your Own Will and another called Fabric seem get some recommendations. Has anyone tried them? Any good?

Do you think something like that will be good enough for someone without a very complicated set of assets?
Leave everything to HROT.

Give everyone some batteries before you die. That way if they split up all your sex toys they're good to go.

IMHO, just pay the money and get it done right - for your family's sake you leave behind that has to sort through it and for your sake (b/c don't skip the living will part). It's a couple hundred bucks for a lawyer that does it all the time (e.g. it's mostly search and replace).

There are a lot of formalities to properly drafting and executing a will. Most of the time if it is a simple will (I leave all my worldly possession t my spouse, if my spouse predeceases me I leave all possessions to my children per stirpes, etc) you can get drafted and executed plus a durable power of attorney and medical directive done for a couple grand.

We did Quicken Willmaker just to get one and will soon see an attorney to redo it as a result of our recent nuptials.

Take a stab at it to get you thinking about it before you engage an attorney. Figure out who gets what, etc... what ifs in case some die before you etc

Spend the $500 and go to an attorney

IMO, a revocable trust is the best option, depending on your state of course.
Also the more expensive option, as I recall. Ours were a bit complicated, but worth the money we spent to have them done the way we wanted them. The more “things” you do with your will, (read the more complicated it gets), the more expensive it gets to draw them up.

It’s all good though.

Mike

If you are just planning to leave all your assets/possessions to your spouse, if living, or otherwise to your living children in equal shares, you really don't need a will. The intestate laws will do this for you.

Reactions: NCHawk5
I kept mine simple:

1) I have a list of 32 close family and friends. They will show up at my house 3 days after I die. There will be 31 rounds of bingo to determine an order. The winner of each round can enter my house/garage/vehicle and take exactly one item and then go home.

2) Everything else will be auctioned off. After funeral expenses are deducted the money will be split in half.

3) Half will be put into a pool for charity. Any charity with an A or A+ rating on CharityWatch and that has had fewer than five donations of $5mil+ (so my millions makes a big impact for a smaller org) can apply. Then the one with the highest % of donations spent on the cause over the past 5 years wins the entire pot.

4) Two years to the minute after my death any blood relative (with proof) can meet at a specific location that will be announced 1 month prior. The only detail provided is that they should have a passport. I do not want to get to know details here kissing my relative see this, but there will be a series of physical/mental/other challenges held daily over the next week. After that one week one winner will emerge. That person will claim 100% of the other half of my fortune.

Reactions: ichawkeye
If you are just planning to leave all your assets/possessions to your spouse, if living, or otherwise to your living children in equal shares, you really don't need a will. The intestate laws will do this for you.
Get a will!

Don’t leave anything to chance, interpret, or to the god forsaken state to figure out. Cut and dry, get a dang will done.

Z

I hear NAMBLA can write you a good Will OP, you cheap bastard. Hire an attorney, get it done right and have a Medical Power of Attorney done at the same time.
This is correct. Do you get heart surgery done by the cheapest surgeon or using your home knives?

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
As mentioned above, go to an attorney and get a will made up. If you die intestate, meaning you do not have a valid will, the state in which you reside has theirs waiting for you, and you may not like what they decide.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Getting these documents done is rather easy. I have a standard list of questions that I ask. There are some things that people don't think about. Keeping POD's on bank accounts, telling people where to find your will / copies there of, making sure you have life insurance or 401 k beneficiaries up to do date so they are not part of the estate, burial expense, veteran benefits, funeral requests, organ donation in MPOA, giving money to kids or grandkids in trust (some people are good with kids, but not good with money, i.e. they can be separate people, when trust money can be dispersed (no 18 year old is responsible enough for a lot money), contestation of will clause - i.e. if a beneficiary contests the validity of will and loses, they lose everything.

We took a community ed class done by a local attorney that focused on estate planning and wills. Those who had very simple, clean finances and an easy, direct plan to distribute their assets were able to complete a will that is legal and binding. Iirc it cost us about $60 to do our wills that way.

Does OP even have anything to give?

Can’t take it with you…..the Egyptians tried and got robbed!

I would also recommend making sure you have listed beneficiaries for all 401k, investment accounts, life insurance, etc. My dad passed away last year and one of his accounts didn't have them listed and was a pain in the ass for awhile. The ones that listed them was super easy. Again like others suggest get an attorney. It's pretty cheap considering

As mentioned above, go to an attorney and get a will made up. If you die intestate, meaning you do not have a valid will, the state in which you reside has theirs waiting for you, and you may not like what they decide.
Out of morbid curiosity, are there some states that don't just go with "everything goes to the spouse, and if there is no spouse then everything gets split up evenly among the kids"?

My folks both passed away within 15 months of each other a few years back. I'm sure neither had a "will." We didn't have any problem with the state trying to take anything away, and it was one of the worst run states you'll find. I'm just wondering that if you have a harmonious family consisting of a married couple with all adult kids in wedlock who won't have trouble divvying things up fairly, and not a strange looking family tree (steps, halves, love children, black sheep, etc.), and you're not interested in leaving any $ for a charity, how important is it really to have a will?

Last edited:
Just spend the money and go to a pro. Really not that expensive and they think of things you never would have even considered…

Reactions: artradley
Just as our parents did, we have very simple wills, living wills, and do not resuscitate orders in place. These were all drawn up by a law firm that our Credit Union made available free of charge to members.
Additionally, we have a lockbox with needed info regarding policies, investments, who to contact at our death, etc…
Granted, our lives are very simple and we don’t have any complicated circumstances, but I can attest first hand how much easier this can make a very stressful time.
It is a very thoughtful and appreciated gift to any survivors.

On a related note, the number of people who funeral homes advertise seeking next of kin contacts for is amazing these days.

Reactions: artradley
I would also suggest that if you are wanting to leave more money to folks / charities, burn baby burn. No sense in paying money on a coffin and grave.

How dumb, lonely, and poor are you that you don't have a will at this point in your life, OP?

I kept mine simple:

1) I have a list of 32 close family and friends. They will show up at my house 3 days after I die. There will be 31 rounds of bingo to determine an order. The winner of each round can enter my house/garage/vehicle and take exactly one item and then go home.

2) Everything else will be auctioned off. After funeral expenses are deducted the money will be split in half.

3) Half will be put into a pool for charity. Any charity with an A or A+ rating on CharityWatch and that has had fewer than five donations of $5mil+ (so my millions makes a big impact for a smaller org) can apply. Then the one with the highest % of donations spent on the cause over the past 5 years wins the entire pot.

4) Two years to the minute after my death any blood relative (with proof) can meet at a specific location that will be announced 1 month prior. The only detail provided is that they should have a passport. I do not want to get to know details here kissing my relative see this, but there will be a series of physical/mental/other challenges held daily over the next week. After that one week one winner will emerge. That person will claim 100% of the other half of my fortune.

That's a better premise than Brewster's Millions. Can you turn it into a script?

Make an appointment with an attorney. Do medical power of attorney at the same time. I did this in my early 40's. I thought I was behind on this. Until I started talking to friends and family. I think a lot of people put this off because they don't want to think about their mortality.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT