ADVERTISEMENT

Who is leaving?

Case I H

All-Conference
Aug 21, 2018
Between SR, RS SR, and Covid SR, I am having trouble figuring out who all will be gone next year. Now I know Desanto, Eierman, Young, Marinelli, and Kemerer will be gone. I saw Murin is listed as a senior, but I thought I heard he will be back.

Also, in terms of the team race, who does PSU, OSU, tOSU, and Michigan lose?

Gonna be hard to predict, and with the portal in play rosters are more fluid than ever.

About Jan 18, 2023 we’ll know 99% of it.

Reactions: TarpHawk
tOSU:
Malik Heinselman
Ethan Smith
Kaleb Romero
Tate Orndorff

Michigan:
Nick Suriano
Stefan Miccic
Kanen Storr
Logan Massa
Myles Amine
Pat Brucki

PSU:
Drew Hildebrandt
Roman Bravo-Young
Brady Burge
Creighton Edsell

OSU:
Kaden Gfeller
Wyatt Sheets
Dakota Geer

This right?

Reactions: OldHawkFan
tOSU:
Malik Heinselman
Ethan Smith
Kaleb Romero
Tate Orndorff

Michigan:
Nick Suriano
Stefan Miccic
Kanen Storr
Logan Massa
Myles Amine
Pat Brucki

PSU:
Drew Hildebrandt
Roman Bravo-Young
Brady Burge
Creighton Edsell

OSU:
Kaden Gfeller
Wyatt Sheets
Dakota Geer

This right?
Nick Lee will be gone, I believe RBY will be back

tOSU:
Malik Heinselman
Ethan Smith
Kaleb Romero
Tate Orndorff

Michigan:
Nick Suriano
Stefan Miccic
Kanen Storr
Logan Massa
Myles Amine
Pat Brucki

PSU:
Drew Hildebrandt
Roman Bravo-Young
Brady Burge
Creighton Edsell

OSU:
Kaden Gfeller
Wyatt Sheets
Dakota Geer

This right?
Does Nick Lee have another year? I was under the impression this was his final year as well? And what about Dean?

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
tOSU:
Malik Heinselman
Ethan Smith
Kaleb Romero
Tate Orndorff

Michigan:
Nick Suriano
Stefan Miccic
Kanen Storr
Logan Massa
Myles Amine
Pat Brucki

PSU:
Drew Hildebrandt
Roman Bravo-Young
Brady Burge
Creighton Edsell

OSU:
Kaden Gfeller
Wyatt Sheets
Dakota Geer

This right?

All those FOSU guys can return.

Michigan looks accurate.

Nick Lee is done.
Edsell could return.
RBY could return but might not.

Okie state looks accurate.

This is what I have for next year.

Penn State
125: Robbie Howard
133: Brandon Meredith
141: Beau Bartlett
149: Shayne Van Ness
157: Joe Lee, Levi Haines
165: Alex Facundo
174: Carter Starocci
184: Aaron Brooks
197: Max Dean, Michael Beard
HWT: Greg Kerkvliet

Oklahoma State
125: Trevor Mastrogiovanni
133: Daton Fix, Zach Blankenship
141: Carter Young, Travis Mastrogiovanni
149:
157: Jordan Williams
165: Travis Wittlake, Victor Voinovich
174: Dustin Plott
184:
197: AJ Ferrari
HWT: Luke Surber

Michigan
125:
133: Dylan Ragusin
141:
149:
157: Will Lewan
165: Cameron Amine
174:
184: Josh Knudten
197: Rylan Rogers
HWT: Mason Paris, Ira Jenkins

Ohio State
125: Brady Koontz, Brendan McCrone
133: Dylan Koontz, Andre Gonzalez, Jordan Decatur, Nick Bouzakis
141: Dylan D’Emilio, Anthony Echemendia, Jesse Mendez
149: Sammy Sasso
157: Bryce Hepner, Paddy Gallagher
165: Karson Kharchla
174: Luke Goeg
184:
197: Gavin Hoffman, Seth Shumate
HWT: Nick Feldman

The current belief is that RBY will leave after this year as well, in pursuit of his MMA aspirations. I’ll believe that when it happens.
MMA is what he will be doing but that’s not the reason he’s leaving. He’s done with school and doesn’t want to go to class and pay the remainder that his scholly doesn’t cover anymore.

Edit to add: same reason we saw Schriever wrestle in an Iowa singlet this year.

The current belief is that RBY will leave after this year as well, in pursuit of his MMA aspirations. I’ll believe that when it happens.
He could make some good money in the MMA. I know a lot of Hawkeye fans would gladly pay to watch him get punched in the face. 🤣

More than the slush fund has to offer though? As you said, I'll believe it if he isn't back by next March, seeing as the transfer (or re-enroll) process is basically a free for all now.

Ohio State
125: Brady Koontz, Brendan McCrone
133: Dylan Koontz, Andre Gonzalez, Jordan Decatur, Nick Bouzakis
141: Dylan D’Emilio, Anthony Echemendia, Jesse Mendez
149: Sammy Sasso
157: Bryce Hepner, Paddy Gallagher
165: Karson Kharchla
174: Luke Goeg
184:
197: Gavin Hoffman, Seth Shumate
HWT: Nick Feldman

Ohio State
125: Malik
133: Bouzakis
141: Mendez
149: Sasso
157: Gallagher
165: Kharchla
174: Ethan Smith
184: Romero/Rocky Jordan
197: Gavin Hoffman
285: Feldman

Only Orndorff can't come back next year for tOSU.

Ohio State
125: Malik
133: Bouzakis
141: Mendez
149: Sasso
157: Gallagher
165: Kharchla
174: Ethan Smith
184: Romero/Rocky Jordan
197: Gavin Hoffman
285: Feldman

Only Orndorff can't come back next year for tOSU.

Orndorff can return as well. He only has wrestled 3 seasons besides last year which didn't count.

Reactions: vhsalum
Orndorff can return as well. He only has wrestled 3 seasons besides last year which didn't count.
The real unknown in this conversation is who will use their Covid year and who won’t. I think just about everyone who could used it did in year 1, I’m not sure that will be the case moving forward. The next few years will be wild ass guesses from everyone.

Last edited:
Didn't RBY say he was done this year....UNLESS he gets enough NIL $$$$$$$ to make it worthwhile for him to compete on an abbreviated schedule and postpone his MMA career for a season. I honestly thought he tweeted something about this earlier.

Reactions: the_hermanator
The real unknown in this conversation is who will use their Covid year and who won’t. I think just about everyone who could used it did in year 1, I’m not sure that will be the case moving forward. The next few years will be wild ass guesses from everyone.
The COVID year is not really anything they can take. Basically everyone's eligibility froze during last year like it never happened so anyone that is sitting at less than 4 years not counting last year can still wrestle.

If Ohio State brings everyone back, plus 3 stud freshmen, they could be a force.

It doesn't look like OSU and Michigan will do much.

For Penn State, it looks like they have a log jam in the upper weights. Will Michael Beard transfer, or can he take the job from Max Dean?

If Ohio State brings everyone back, plus 3 stud freshmen, they could be a force.

It doesn't look like OSU and Michigan will do much.

For Penn State, it looks like they have a log jam in the upper weights. Will Michael Beard transfer, or can he take the job from Max Dean?
Beard will probably just cash his slush fund checks from the bench and wait.

Reactions: 24 so far
Didn't RBY say he was done this year....UNLESS he gets enough NIL $$$$$$$ to make it worthwhile for him to compete on an abbreviated schedule and postpone his MMA career for a season. I honestly thought he tweeted something about this earlier.

Lol that's great. The boosters will pay him. He'll be back next year.

Reactions: TarpHawk
The COVID year is not really anything they can take. Basically everyone's eligibility froze during last year like it never happened so anyone that is sitting at less than 4 years not counting last year can still wrestle.
Yea, which means that everyone on a roster last year has an extra year, or a Covid year, as I phrased it. For example, PK was a redshirt freshman and is a redshirt freshman again. The question is will someone want to spend six years in college or five? I wouldn’t be surprised that some leave early.

Reactions: Gobblin
Anyone who is dumb enough to think RBY won't be back next year....I'll take that bet. You name the price you want to lose and I will book your bet.

RBY will be back at 133 next year. With a raise in salary. If you don't think that, you haven't been paying attention to Cael and how Penn State operates.

He has stated this. Will be graduating in May and is sick of school. I think he would come back in the second semester on the Suriano plan if one of their donors would pony up some serious NIL $$.
He actually walked this statement back a bit, I believe on the Baschamania podcast. He said he will make the final decision in August, but if he was deciding today he would not come back. Sounds like Cael has been on him since the initial statement. My money is on he will be back second semester on the Berge plan

Reactions: TarpHawk and Buchos
He actually walked this statement back a bit, I believe on the Baschamania podcast. He said he will make the final decision in August, but if he was deciding today he would not come back. Sounds like Cael has been on him since the initial statement. My money is on he will be back second semester on the Berge plan
Yep, he can get on the " I didn't come here to play school" boat at that point. But since DeSanto is out of eligibility he'll come to Iowa and Spencer Lee can teach him how to bonus your way thru a bracket. 🙂

Worse thing that could happen next year is someone beating PSU in a dual /tourney before Feb 1. If that happens, Cael will do whatever it takes to get RBY back for second semester.

Reactions: Buchos
Anyone who is dumb enough to think RBY won't be back next year....I'll take that bet. You name the price you want to lose and I will book your bet.

RBY will be back at 133 next year. With a raise in salary. If you don't think that, you haven't been paying attention to Cael and how Penn State operates.
If you are implying we do anything illegal, would you please provide any evidence. I know that is too much to ask.

ADVERTISEMENT