ADVERTISEMENT

Who is right?

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Our corporate office has a "designated smoking area" at the corner of the building, away from the entry doors. We're not the only tenant in the building, and some of the other tenants have many visitors, so it's not just the same people in the parking lot every day.

Anyway, I'm outside enjoying a lung dart, again, in the DESIGNATED SMOKING AREA. A woman was parked in her car downwind with the windows open. She actually had the nerve to complain that the smoke was bothering her.

MOVE YOUR CAR SOMEWHERE ELSE, LADY! I'm in the DESGNATED SMOKING AREA! There's an entire parking lot where you can sit somewhere else.

Who is right here?

Our corporate office has a "designated smoking area" at the corner of the building, away from the entry doors. We're not the only tenant in the building, and some of the other tenants have many visitors, so it's not just the same people in the parking lot every day.

Anyway, I'm outside enjoying a lung dart, again, in the DESIGNATED SMOKING AREA. A woman was parked in her car downwind with the windows open. She actually had the nerve to complain that the smoke was bothering her.

MOVE YOUR CAR SOMEWHERE ELSE, LADY! I'm in the DESGNATED SMOKING AREA! There's an entire parking lot where you can sit somewhere else.

Who is right here?

You're never right. Hope that helps.

You are both right. It was bothering her and you were in a designated smoking area. Did she ask you to move?

Reactions: torbee
I disagree with you about 99.9% of the time but as a former smoker (5 +yrs.) i agree with you. people are such pansies anymore. I grew up when everywhere you went (bars, restaurants, gov't buildings, etc....) people were smoking.

You're not wrong. You should have told the biatch that you are required to smoke in the designated area. If she doesn't like it, she can move along.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
You were blowing cariogenic smoke into her window and want to know if she was wrong?

Who is right here?
I think you were in the right. It’s like setting camp next to an outhouse and complaining about the smell. Moving next to an airport and complaining about the noise. Etc.

Who is right here?
Smokers are the worst

Her complaint should be with the building, to move the smoking area or eliminate it completely and fire your ass.

But you didn't do anything wrong if you were in the place they designated.

Is it posted somewhere that where you were standing was the designated smoking area? You aren't wrong for being in the place you were told to be. But if she had no way of knowing she was parked next to the designated smoking area she isn't completely wrong either. But you could certainly say, sorry I can't move. This is the designated smoking area and she could decide if it bothered her enough to move.

Reactions: thewop
Is it posted somewhere that where you were standing was the designated smoking area? You aren't wrong for being in the place you were told to be. But if she had no way of knowing she was parked next to the designated smoking area she isn't completely wrong either. But you could certainly say, sorry I can't move. This is the designated smoking area and she could decide if it bothered her enough to move.

Yes, there's a sign and one of those butt disposal chimneys.

I disagree with you about 99.9% of the time but as a former smoker (5 +yrs.) i agree with you. people are such pansies anymore. I grew up when everywhere you went (bars, restaurants, gov't buildings, etc....) people were smoking.

Ahh the good ol' days. Member smoking in the office and on airplanes? I member.

Reactions: The Tradition
Trad, you were right. The problem with a lot of smokers is really how inconsiderate they are. The biggest problem is smokers think the world is their ashtray, from roads to beaches to golf course greens.

ADVERTISEMENT