ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the asshole quiz

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
Driver A is driving in the right lane of the Interstate. Driver A is going 63 in a 55.

Driver B is merging onto the same interstate.

It is not congested. Driver A could slow down or speed up. Driver B could slow down or speed up and merge with no problem. Basically, there were no other cars around either driver.

Driver B merges into Driver A. Driver A swerves to avoid Driver B honking at him in the process. Both drivers flip each other off, believing the other was an asshole who should have yielded. Who was right?*

*edited version below to provide a complete scenario:

Driver A is driving in the right lane of the Interstate in a white BMW X3. Driver A is going 63 in a 55, locked in using cruise control.

Driver B is merging onto the same interstate, in a black F-150 with extended mirrors and punisher bumperstickers, at a rate of at least 70 mph.

On this particular morning, it was not congested, as it was early before the main commute in DSM. This was in the middle of summer, when there are not large numbers of clueless drivers on the road, such as during the state wrestling tournament. In heavy traffic, Driver A usually will preemptively move into the middle lane of I-235, despite his exit coming up which he takes to get to his job. On this day, it was just Driver A and Driver B over a span of 100 yards. Basically, there were no other cars around either driver. Driver A could slow down or speed up. Driver B could slow down or speed up and merge with no problem.

By all accounts Driver B buried the accelerator and merged without looking at what traffic was in the right lane he was merging into. While Driver A typically preemptively avoids idiot/self-absorbed drivers, and slows down or moves over, on this particular morning, given there was no one around he maintained speed. Just before impact, Driver A swerved and slowed to avoid Driver B, honking at Driver B to let him know Driver B just pulled an illegal and moronic maneuver. Driver B swerves around Driver A, pulls up to him, and gives him vigorous double birds while staring at Driver A. Driver A looks over to Driver B, and returns a single bird.

Both drivers believe the other was an asshole who should have yielded. Who was right?

Last edited:
Sounds like Driver A should have merged, but Driver B does have to yield to Driver A when entering the interstate. Also, is there construction or why is the interstate at 55 mph? Did that limit the ability of Driver A?

Sounds like it could have been avoided if there weren't two assholes involved

Sounds like Driver A should have merged, but Driver B does have to yield to Driver A when entering the interstate. Sounds like it could have been avoided if there weren't two assholes involved
Driver A was not merging. Driver A’s exit was a mile further down the interstate. Also, to be clear, someone who does not yield when the law does not require a yield, when the other could speed up or slow down is an asshole?

• Haha
Reactions: fredjr82
Driver A was not merging. Driver A’s exit was a mile further down the interstate. Also, to be clear, someone who does not yield when the law does not require a yield, when the other could speed up or slow down is an asshole?

Guess we found out who Driver B is in the OP.

You should probably understand the law and try not to be such an asshole next time

Driver A is an asshole but not did nothing wrong. Driver B is the bigger asshole for not yielding.
In driver A’s defense, he assumed given the lack of traffic and his speed over the limit, the merging automobile B would just pick his spot. It was not an intentional confrontation.

also if this helps the analysis, driver A was driving a BMW and driver B was driving a black pickup with the back plastered in bumper stickers.

Last edited:
Sounds like Driver A should have merged, but Driver B does have to yield to Driver A when entering the interstate. Also, is there construction or why is the interstate at 55 mph? Did that limit the ability of Driver A?

Sounds like it could have been avoided if there weren't two assholes involved
No construction. That is the speed limit of 235 in DSM. I should add this was during the morning commute timeframe in the middle of the summer when everyone knows where they are going and what they are doing. This wasn’t at a time like the state wrestling tournament when there are lot of out of town people fumblef$cking around.

In a driver A’s defense, he assumed given the lack of traffic and his speed over the limit, the merging automobile B would just pick his spot. It was not an intentional confrontation.

also if this helps the analysis, driver A was driving a BMW and driver B was driving a black pickup with the back plastered in bumper stickers.
Never assume anything but If he saw driver B coming he’s still an asshole. Second paragraph makes no difference.

Never assume anything but I’d he saw driver B coming he’s still an asshole. Second paragraph makes no difference.
Obviously, the second paragraph was a joke addressing people’s prejudices. In any event, this is interesting. I assumed merging is a fundamental driving skill where every knows the merging car must yield. If no one has the right of way, you will get an inefficient and dangerous mess. How would driver B know Driver A had options or room to adjust? Seems like super basic shit to me, but I guess I am an asshole.

Last edited:

Not really helping either's case to not be an asshole, tbh...

But it's the merging driver's responsibility to merge properly. Drivers already on the road can move over if possible but it's a courtesy.

But it's the merging driver's responsibility to merge properly. Drivers already on the road can move over if possible but it's a courtesy.
To me, driver B is like someone walking into an empty movie theater and choosing to sit directly next to driver A, who was already there…

Last edited:
It is not congested. Driver A could slow down or speed up.
This is the ONE question I missed on the Georgia driver license test. Driver A is to do NOTHING. I said "move over if clear"... it was wrong. Anyone who says driver A should take action would be wrong in Georgia. That said, I'm not gonna let some idiot side swipe me when they're trying to merge into traffic.

Reactions: seam
I was going to say B was the asshole but then I learned that A was driving a BMW and now I have to start all over.
It’s an X3 and not an M version, driven by a boring 48-year old on cruise control on his way to work in the morning. He flipped the bird casually after the truck driver with a goatee vigorously sped up, slowed down so driver A could see him, and gave vigorously pumping double birds, if that it is relevant to your calculations.

Reactions: Wendy79
Driver B is the asshole. When you're merging onto the Interstate, it's your responsibility to find an opening in traffic & enter into it (even if the "traffic" only consists of one other vehicle).
This man is a gentleman and a scholar who gets it.

Reactions: On Iowa
Driver A is the clear asshole in this scenario. If driver A had decided to obey traffic laws the encounter never happens. But this doped up speed demon was pushing his BMW to unsafe speeds and nearly killed a poor guy heading into work.
Speed kills/driving While impaired kills. Do better Driver A.

This is the ONE question I missed on the Georgia driver license test. Driver A is to do NOTHING. I said "move over if clear"... it was wrong. Anyone who says driver A should take action would be wrong in Georgia. That said, I'm not gonna let some idiot side swipe me when they're trying to merge into traffic.
I didn’t. I am always keep an eye out for morons. If there was traffic around me and I couldn’t adjust on the fly, I would have adjusted speed to avoid trouble.

Reactions: NoleATL
Driver A is the clear asshole in this scenario. If driver A had decided to obey traffic laws the encounter never happens. But this doped up speed demon was pushing his BMW to unsafe speeds and nearly killed a poor guy heading into work.
Speed kills/driving While impaired kills. Do better Driver A.
Incomplete hypothetical counselor. Driver b was more in excess of the speed limit as he had more ground to cover before the potential point of impact.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Driver B is the asshole. When you're merging onto the Interstate, it's your responsibility to find an opening in traffic & enter into it (even if the "traffic" only consists of one other vehicle).
Basically this, although A could be polite and easily move over if there is no traffic in the left lane.

On a related note, here’s one of my pet peeves - I’m driving in the left lane going 78 in a 70. There is a semi in the right lane just ahead of me going 70ish. Just as I’m about to overtake the semi, he abruptly moves into the left lane to accommodate a vehicle that is about to merge onto the interstate. He thinks he’s doing the right thing because he’s making a spot for the merging vehicle. But in reality he’s being a dick because now I have to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting the back of his trailer when it was incumbent upon the merging vehicle to either accelerate and safely merge in front of the semi or simply settle in behind the semi.

Driver A is an asshole and driver B is an asshole. You always get over to let on-ramp traffic on unless you can’t due to traffic. It’s not a Driver A can slow down or speed up thing. Driver A can simply get in other lane. Driver B is an asshole for being a terrible driver.

Driver A is an asshole and driver B is an asshole. You always get over to let on-ramp traffic on unless you can’t due to traffic. It’s not a Driver A can slow down or speed up thing. Driver A can simply get in other lane.
I wouldn’t go so far as to say Driver A is an asshole, but he certainly could have been a little more courteous.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say Driver A is an asshole, but he certainly could have been a little more courteous.
That is kind of the definition of being and asshole though. Going out of your way to be dickish and not courteous. Getting over to let a car merge onto the interstate is like a no brainer programmed instinct for us non assholes.

Its both, but more B. Driver A should have briefly pulled to the left lane as a courtesy since nobody else was around, then pulled back before the exit.

Driver B should be aware where the lanes/openings are, and hope Driver A gives space, knowing Driver A might not.

"Driver A swerves." That's not necessary, sounds like Driver A is a drama queen. They could just as easily see Driver B is heading into him and calmly move to the other lane.

Driver B knows he’s an asshole and acts accordingly. Driver A doesn’t realize he’s being an asshole for not getting over, gets all pissy about it, passively flips the bird, then comes to HORT for validation, gets called out for being an asshole and he still doesn’t admit to being an asshole. Got it!

After recreating this in my mind in the shoes of both drivers, Driver A is the real asshole here. Mainly for the fact that he was going over the speed limit. Driver B has to try to quickly guess the speed of asshole Driver A to make a decision on how the hell to proceed here.

That is kind of the definition of being and asshole though. Going out of your way to be dickish and not courteous. Getting over to let a car merge onto the interstate is like a no brainer programmed instinct for us non assholes.
Woah woah woah. Expecting someone to obey the law in that situation is being an asshole? Are you a zipper merge advocate? Driver B is someone who saddles up to your urinal in an empty restroom when there are 10 others to choose from, and expects you to move. In any event B was doing at least 70 in a 55 while I was going 63. He just buried his accelerator and expected the sea to part in front of him. I am not saying I am not otherwise an asshole, I just didn’t think this was assholey. But, this is why I posed OP, as maybe I’m an even bigger asshole than I realized…

After recreating this in my mind in the shoes of both drivers, Driver A is the real asshole here. Mainly for the fact that he was going over the speed limit. Driver B has to try to quickly guess the speed of asshole Driver A to make a decision on how the hell to proceed here.
Et tu, funky bunch?

Hold up! Driver B was doing 70 on the entrance ramp? This changes the equation. Driver B is definitely the bigger asshole here.

Reactions: Moral
In Iowa it is expected to do the polite thing if possible, move over to the left hand lane to give room for the merging car from an on ramp, and then take the next mile to find time to move back over to make your exit.

Also in Iowa, legally the driver already on the highway has the right of way. The car coming from the on ramp is supposed to slow down to merge into traffic if needed or continue onto the shoulder until there is room to merge.

As someone else said, driver a was in their legal right but could have done better(does that make them an asshole, not really but it is well on the way to being an asshole). Driver b did several things wrong and if they were honking and yelling they definitely were an asshole in this situation.

Driver A is an asshole for not not moving over when it was so easy to do AND for coming to HROT to bitch about it.

giphy.gif

Driver A is driving in the right lane of the Interstate. Driver A is going 63 in a 55.

Driver B is merging onto the same interstate.

It is not congested. Driver A could slow down or speed up. Driver B could slow down or speed up and merge with no problem. Basically, there were no other cars around either driver.

Driver B merges into Driver A. Driver A swerves to avoid Driver B honking at him in the process. Both drivers flip each other off, believing the other was an asshole who should have yielded. Who was right?
A is an ass for not getting the f—- over.

That is kind of the definition of being and asshole though. Going out of your way to be dickish and not courteous.
He didn’t go out of his way to do anything, therefore he didn’t qualify for your definition and description.

TJ has given the appropriate descriptions.

In Iowa it is expected to do the polite thing if possible, move over to the left hand lane to give room for the merging car from an on ramp, and then take the next mile to find time to move back over to make your exit.

Also in Iowa, legally the driver already on the highway has the right of way. The car coming from the on ramp is supposed to slow down to merge into traffic if needed or continue onto the shoulder until there is room to merge.

As someone else said, driver a was in their legal right but could have done better(does that make them an asshole, not really but it is well on the way to being an asshole). Driver b did several things wrong and if they were honking and yelling they definitely were an asshole in this situation.
fair-hurtful-but-fair-christina-applegate.gif

Driving a car is not supposed to be a competition. Everyone should constantly look for ways to avoid problems like this, even if it isn't their "responsibility".

Both are assholes.
That’s what makes Driver A the bigger asshole despite Driver B also being somewhat douchey.

If you have room to get over and see someone merging, GTFO. Stubbornly putting along in the right lane is an ahole move, period.

Had A simply moved into the left lane to allow for a merging car, there would have been no conflict. Driver A failed at this basic safety and courtesy measure.

Texans do NOT understand that the merging driver has a responsibility for anything. They own that road….just ask them.

seriously, I’d be willing to bet that 50%, one half, of all drivers in Texas do not understand that they are the ones responsible for safely entering the traffic flow and that it is not the responsibility of the driver already in that traffic flow to make room for them!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT