ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the asshole quiz

What's interesting is that a few years ago I came on here and told about driving on a long straight stretch of Interstate late at night with no other cars anywhere. This was in Texas where you could see for miles, and where they have extremely long merge lanes. I could see way in the distance a car starting to enter the merge ramp, and I thought little of it. However, he was on target to merge just as I was passing by, and though he had at least ten or twenty seconds to adjust, he didn't adjust his speed until the last moment - and proceeded to lay on his horn because I didn't move over for him.

At the time HORT was about 10-1 against me, saying it was expected that I should change lanes to accommodate someone merging.

EDIT
I just searched for my post, and you were one of them saying I was an asshole for not moving over!
Link or it didn't happen. If it did, I am much smarter and wiser now, and what you posted is hilarious.

Reactions: desihawk
Driver A should already know what the traffic around them is like, Driver B has to look in his/her mirror from an angle and head swivel to determine traffic on a road he/she hasn't entered yet. (should be able to make some quick observation of the amount of traffic, which one would hope you aren't barreling onto the Freeway if it's HEAVY traffic - if it's heavy traffic Driver B is the asshole in that scenario entering the Freeway well over the speed limit).
I have the opposite take. It was early and we both knew there wasn't much traffic. I would cut B slack and would move over to avoid a mess if traffic was heavy. Also, if traffic was heavy, I would expect some risk taking and just kind of making your way in. This happens all of the time where there is actually heavy traffic outside of bucolic state of Iowa. But, this wasn't that situation.

I have the opposite take. It was early and we both knew there wasn't much traffic. I would cut B slack and would move over to avoid a mess if traffic was heavy. Also, if traffic was heavy, I would expect some risk taking and just kind of making your way in. This happens all of the time where there is actually heavy traffic outside of bucolic state of Iowa. But, this wasn't that situation.
You just unknowingly clearly explained why you're the asshole. Problem is you're not smart enough to "get it". Like it or not, brainpower is a part of this process. You lacked it.

In addition, YOU created a mess when there was no reason for any "mess" at all. None, zero, zip, nada.

Fortunately no animals or humans were injured during this turbulent confrontation on a mostly empty road in the great State of Iowa.

To summarize: You intentionally didn't do one of the SIMPLEST things a fellow driver can do for others. Be better.

Good day.

• Haha
Reactions: torbee and Wendy79
You just unknowingly clearly explained why you're the asshole. Problem is you're not smart enough to "get it". Like it or not, brainpower is a part of this process. You lacked it.

In addition, YOU created a mess when there was no reason for any "mess" at all. None, zero, zip, nada.

Fortunately no animals or humans were injured during this turbulent confrontation on a mostly empty road in the great State of Iowa.

To summarize: You intentionally didn't do one of the SIMPLEST things a fellow driver can do for others. Be better.

Good day.
I created the mess because someone did not follow the rules of the road. Gotcha.

Reactions: Wendy79

When you have the opposite take as 23 you should definitely feel more confident.

Link or it didn't happen. If it did, I am much smarter and wiser now, and what you posted is hilarious.

lol!

It started here. Outback talked about idiots who merge with no concern about traffic; just expecting everyone to get out of their way. I responded with my story:

What's interesting is that a few years ago I came on here and told about driving on a long straight stretch of Interstate late at night with no other cars anywhere. This was in Texas where you could see for miles, and where they have extremely long merge lanes. I could see way in the distance a car starting to enter the merge ramp, and I thought little of it. However, he was on target to merge just as I was passing by, and though he had at least ten or twenty seconds to adjust, he didn't adjust his speed until the last moment - and proceeded to lay on his horn because I didn't move over for him.

At the time HORT was about 10-1 against me, saying it was expected that I should change lanes to accommodate someone merging.

EDIT
I just searched for my post, and you were one of them saying I was an asshole for not moving over!
this is classic hrot stuff. absolutely hilarious.

lol!

It started here. Outback talked about idiots who merge with no concern about traffic; just expecting everyone to get out of their way. I responded with my story:

Artradley deservedly looking at me:
tumblr_p56cjm8mV31vdujbco1_500.gif

Didn’t read the whole thread, but the vehicle merging onto the interstate is ultimately responsible to merge safely.

Sure Vehicle A could be courteous and a friendly move would be to move over. But Vehicle B should not expect that Vehicle A will speed up, slow down or move to a new lane. Vehicle B has to react to A.

EDIT
TenaciousE -- Prime Hypocrite!

At least I'm consistent in my assholery.

• Haha
Reactions: Tenacious E
Definitely a double-ass-hole situation. Difficult for me to say for sure, but this sounds a lot like Driver B is probably a full-time, egregious asshole who never has any concern/courtesy for others on the road,, while Driver A is more of a part-time asshole who was having a bad morning and just decided to be an asshole this particular morning and not easily move over to avoid trouble. Sounds like they deserved each other. Bottom line is that the world is full of way too many full-time and part-time assholes, and interstate highways are a very dangerous place to display assholeness, but seems to be a top choice of said assholes.

spaceballs-assholes.gif

If one of the cars had an Iowa license plate identifying it as a “Dallas” county vehicle...that car/driver was definitely in the wrong. If one of the cars was a BMW, that driver was at fault. “BMW” in German means “I am an asshole”...did you know that?

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
If one of the cars had an Iowa license plate identifying it as a “Dallas” county vehicle...that car/driver was definitely in the wrong. If one of the cars was a BMW, that driver was at fault. “BMW” in German means “I am an asshole”...did you know that?
BMWs are fabulous automobiles - you should drive one.

Reactions: torbee
Definitely a double-ass-hole situation. Difficult for me to say for sure, but this sounds a lot like Driver B is probably a full-time, egregious asshole who never has any concern/courtesy for others on the road,, while Driver A is more of a part-time asshole who was having a bad morning and just decided to be an asshole this particular morning and not easily move over to avoid trouble. Sounds like they deserved each other. Bottom line is that the world is full of way too many full-time and part-time assholes, and interstate highways are a very dangerous place to display assholeness, but seems to be a top choice of said assholes.

spaceballs-assholes.gif
If you read the whole thread, I am not an egregious asshole, but a part-time hypocrite asshole who got owned by Artradley, as I took the opposite position in a thread a few years ago.

If you read the whole thread, I am not an egregious asshole, but a part-time hypocrite asshole who got owned by Artradley, as I took the opposite position in a thread a few years ago.
What a surprise. 2 assholes both think only the other is an asshole, even when the situation is completely opposite. That pretty much sums up both American drivers and HROT.

Reactions: torbee and ryan2144
What a surprise. 2 assholes both think only the other is an asshole, even when the situation is completely opposite. That pretty much sums up both American drivers and HROT.
If reading comprehension was a strong suit of yours, you would have understood that I was not in the position of the merging Driver B in the OP. I only commented on similar "Driver A" in Art's post.

If reading comprehension was a strong suit of yours, you would have understood that I was not in the position of the merging Driver B in the OP. I only commented on similar "Driver A" in Art's post.
Nothing I don't understand. You were Driver A in the OP, assuming everyone was going to side with you as Driver B being the asshole. Then you got called out for taking the exact opposite position in a thread from years ago, saying the fault was of that thread's Driver A.

It actually doesn't matter which driver you were, whether it was A or B, and I really don't care. Point is that both full-time egregious assholes and part-time hypocritical assholes are a problem on the roads and on HROT, which makes this thread an absolute classic. Congratulations.

Nothing I don't understand. You were Driver A in the OP, assuming everyone was going to side with you as Driver B being the asshole. Then you got called out for taking the exact opposite position in a thread from years ago, saying the fault was of that thread's Driver A.

It actually doesn't matter which driver you were, whether it was A or B, and I really don't care. Point is that both full-time egregious assholes and part-time hypocritical assholes are a problem on the roads and on HROT, which makes this thread an absolute classic. Congratulations.
What can I say? I'm a giver.

In Iowa it is expected to do the polite thing if possible, move over to the left hand lane to give room for the merging car from an on ramp, and then take the next mile to find time to move back over to make your exit.

Also in Iowa, legally the driver already on the highway has the right of way. The car coming from the on ramp is supposed to slow down to merge into traffic if needed or continue onto the shoulder until there is room to merge.

As someone else said, driver a was in their legal right but could have done better(does that make them an asshole, not really but it is well on the way to being an asshole). Driver b did several things wrong and if they were honking and yelling they definitely were an asshole in this situation.
Therein lies the problem. No driver from Iowa has ever moved into the left lane and remained there for less than a mile.

While it’s clear both drivers could be labeled as assholes for a multitude of reasons, only Driver B failed to safely merge and yield as required by law. Much like @bagdropper mentioned, I try to give myself an out at all times and maintain a two second traveling distance between myself and the vehicle in front of me in traffic, that has kept me out of numerous traffic accidents over the years, including one time on 380 when a nutty lady locked up her brakes to try and accommodate merging vehicles. Some things I’ve noticed as well over the years, if the vehicle in the left lane won’t get over, it’s likely sporting a plate from either Illinois or Minnesota. If the car that just passed you slows down to the point where you have to disengage your cruise control it’s always a car with Illinois plates. I also continue to dream of front mounted machine guns on my car but that’s a dream that will likely go unrealized.

Reactions: CJBauer and torbee
Driver A is driving in the right lane of the Interstate. Driver A is going 63 in a 55.

Driver B is merging onto the same interstate.

It is not congested. Driver A could slow down or speed up. Driver B could slow down or speed up and merge with no problem. Basically, there were no other cars around either driver.

Driver B merges into Driver A. Driver A swerves to avoid Driver B honking at him in the process. Both drivers flip each other off, believing the other was an asshole who should have yielded. Who was right?*

*edited version below to provide a complete scenario:

Driver A is driving in the right lane of the Interstate in a white BMW X3. Driver A is going 63 in a 55, locked in using cruise control.

Driver B is merging onto the same interstate, in a black F-150 with extended mirrors and punisher bumperstickers, at a rate of at least 70 mph.

On this particular morning, it was not congested, as it was early before the main commute in DSM. This was in the middle of summer, when there are not large numbers of clueless drivers on the road, such as during the state wrestling tournament. In heavy traffic, Driver A usually will preemptively move into the middle lane of I-235, despite his exit coming up which he takes to get to his job. On this day, it was just Driver A and Driver B over a span of 100 yards. Basically, there were no other cars around either driver. Driver A could slow down or speed up. Driver B could slow down or speed up and merge with no problem.

By all accounts Driver B buried the accelerator and merged without looking at what traffic was in the right lane he was merging into. While Driver A typically preemptively avoids idiot/self-absorbed drivers, and slows down or moves over, on this particular morning, given there was no one around he maintained speed. Just before impact, Driver A swerved and slowed to avoid Driver B, honking at Driver B to let him know Driver B just pulled an illegal and moronic maneuver. Driver B swerves around Driver A, pulls up to him, and gives him vigorous double birds while staring at Driver A. Driver A looks over to Driver B, and returns a single bird.

Both drivers believe the other was an asshole who should have yielded. Who was right?
Regardless of the speed he is going, since there is nobody to his left or left blind spot, Driver A should signal a left turn signal and switch over to the left lane and let Driver B enter the right lane. The difference in speed between A & B does not matter, nor does either drivers vehicle, their race, sex, age, political affiliation or whatever.

In my considered opinion, the drug-crazed beatnik in the truck was the class A jerk.

He should have understood that the BMW driver, was relaxing, enjoying some classical music while at the same time, planning his workday. It was perhaps his last few moments of solace before being torn in all directions by events requiring his attention from all over the world,

In any case, it is poor form to call out an asshole by giving him the bird. This was too much of a low-level confrontation to even bother with. Save your high-strung anger for a bigger set of issues. The cool guy in the European sedan is perhaps a class C jerk ... or even a class C- jerk. It's hard to get any lower when you have a nice, sophisticated ride in hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWolf74 and torbee
If I was driver B, I would slow down and merge safely, then, while passing driver A, I would look over and give driver A the " Learn how to drive you inconsiderate fvcking douche" look.

Regardless of the speed he is going, since there is nobody to his left or left blind spot, Driver A should signal a left turn signal and switch over to the left lane and let Driver B enter the right lane.
Cite?

Found the asshole Driver B

Haha, I don't own a pickup and I only have a Tigerhawk and a Liberty Bolt on the back of my car. Not was I anywhere in the vicinity of Des Moines today.

However, I would have totally been frustrated with someone who didn't simply move over to let me in with no traffic. Would not have flipped the bird to anyone though. Too passive aggressive for that.

Reactions: fredjr82
Haha, I don't own a pickup and I only have a Tigerhawk and a Liberty Bolt on the back of my car. Not was I anywhere in the vicinity of Des Moines today.

However, I would have totally been frustrated with someone who didn't simply move over to let me in with no traffic. Would not have flipped the bird to anyone though. Too passive aggressive for that.
What if the vehicle in the right lane was a tractor trailer as you tried to merge onto the interstate? People coming onto the interstate should always yield to traffic already there and flow into the lane at a comparable speed. It’s not that hard. Oh, and torbee is an ahole.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Obviously, the second paragraph was a joke addressing people’s prejudices. In any event, this is interesting. I assumed merging is a fundamental driving skill where every knows the merging car must yield. If no one has the right of way, you will get an inefficient and dangerous mess. How would driver B know Driver A had options or room to adjust? Seems like super basic shit to me, but I guess I am an asshole.

The purpose of a merge lane is to adjust speed to merge. The traffic on the expressway is not obligated, nor should it be to make adjustments. If I have to come to complete stops when it's required, and it doesn't piss me off.

The purpose of expressways is to expedite traffic. Making room for merging traffic is etiquette. Demanding it is not.

What if the vehicle in the right lane was a tractor trailer as you tried to merge onto the interstate? People coming onto the interstate should always yield to traffic already there and flow into the lane at a comparable speed. It’s not that hard. Oh, and torbee is an ahole.

I always move over to the other lane if I see someone merging on if the other lane is totally clear.

While not required, driver A should have courteously moved over. Driver B should have yielded.

Seems like you both need to attend a driving class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT