ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the asshole quiz?

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
I will dispense with the A and B stuff. It was 20 degrees this morning and all four of my tires needed air. During rush hour, I drive to the nearest gas station which is on the intersection of a busy street and a residential street. I am approaching on the residential street, turning left. The air pump is right along the busy street, and I see an SUV sitting in front of the pump by about 5 - 10 feet, but no one using it. It took about 3 to 4 minutes for me to get the green arrow to turn left, and still no action from the SUV. As I turn left, I can see it is a woman, probably in her 50s. I then pull up behind her and wait about 30 seconds. She is far enough forward from the pump that I can pull up behind her far enough away, so that the air hose could reach the rear of my automobile. Her back window was also tinted as such that I could not make eye contact with her. No action. At that point, I considered approaching her car to ask her if she was going to use it, or if she was just waiting for someone to come out of the store, but thought she might not want a male stranger approaching her vehicle. Since she had been there about 5 minutes now, I made the decision to fill my tires, because, you know, I have a job and shit and need to get to work. About 2 minutes later she gets out of her car in sweatpants (clearly not on her way to work) and stares at me like I just stole her lunch. By the time she noticed me, she had been stationary for like 7 minutes, and I said sorry, I thought you were waiting for someone. She stared at me for another second, and got back into her SUV. I topped off the 3 remaining tires and left.

So, was she the asshole for sitting there for 7 minutes in front the air pump on one of the first very cold mornings when lots of people were going to need air, in the middle of rush hour (for DSM), or was I the asshole as a male stranger for not approaching her window to ask if she was waiting for someone or whether she was actually going to use the pump. A secondary question is should I have yielded to someone in sweatpants clearly not going to work, in the middle of rush hour, and in no particular hurry once she confronted me, or should I have apologized like I did and continue to top off my tires so I could get to the office? Admittedly, these are probably both close calls.

She was definitely the asshole. I don’t get it….it takes 3 minutes to fill up your tires max (well, that’s after paying on those dam machines, it works only half the time). I’ve maybe pulled up to a machine before and spent 30 seconds getting a text out before getting out of my car, but I can’t fathom sitting there for 7 minutes with intentions to move it. I could be done twice in that span.

Yep…she’s the a-hole. Had I been her, and I noticed that I’d blocked the air pump parking space (for no apparent reason) from someone who needed it I would have immediately moved my vehicle and then approach the person and apologize. I don’t care if your bumper sticker was “Let’s Go Brandon“ or “Coexist”.

She could have been having a bad day, you never know. But there is a difference between being civilized, and an a-hole. It’s a “class vs. no-class” opportunity.

I will dispense with the A and B stuff. It was 20 degrees this morning and all four of my tires needed air. During rush hour, I drive to the nearest gas station which is on the intersection of a busy street and a residential street. I am approaching on the residential street, turning left. The air pump is right along the busy street, and I see an SUV sitting in front of the pump by about 5 - 10 feet, but no one using it. It took about 3 to 4 minutes for me to get the green arrow to turn left, and still no action from the SUV. As I turn left, I can see it is a woman, probably in her 50s. I then pull up behind her and wait about 30 seconds. She is far enough forward from the pump that I can pull up behind her far enough away, so that the air hose could reach the rear of my automobile. Her back window was also tinted as such that I could not make eye contact with her. No action. At that point, I considered approaching her car to ask her if she was going to use it, or if she was just waiting for someone to come out of the store, but thought she might not want a male stranger approaching her vehicle. Since she had been there about 5 minutes now, I made the decision to fill my tires, because, you know, I have a job and shit and need to get to work. About 2 minutes later she gets out of her car in sweatpants (clearly not on her way to work) and stares at me like I just stole her lunch. By the time she noticed me, she had been stationary for like 7 minutes, and I said sorry, I thought you were waiting for someone. She stared at me for another second, and got back into her SUV. I topped off the 3 remaining tires and left.

So, was she the asshole for sitting there for 7 minutes in front the air pump on one of the first very cold mornings when lots of people were going to need air, in the middle of rush hour (for DSM), or was I the asshole as a male stranger for not approaching her window to ask if she was waiting for someone or whether she was actually going to use the pump. A secondary question is should I have yielded to someone in sweatpants clearly not going to work, in the middle of rush hour, and in no particular hurry once she confronted me, or should I have apologized like I did and continue to top off my tires so I could get to the office? Admittedly, these are probably both close calls.
I would say neither or both for not really communicating at all to each other, but she is more for being in the way and not really understanding.

Like, she could have gotten out and just be like "oh my bad." So I guess she is like 75%. And you are maybe 25% just for being you.

It's her. This is not close. In fact, that you even waited a couple minutes is over the top courtesy on your part.

After seeing no movement for several minutes, I'd have waited about 30 seconds from the time I pulled up behind her to start filling, and I wouldn't have asked either.

I don't entirely blame her for parking there, because often if it's busy cars use the spaces by the air pump, but she's an asshole for considering getting upset about it.

That or they all seem to be pay as you go too. Can't even get free air anymore.
There's one down the street that will, i kid you not, fill my tires in like 4 seconds. That thing is super charged. I mentioned it to the cashier and he said people with big rims and thin tires often blow their tires out bc they dont expect it to fill that fast. not sure how truthful that is, though.

Reactions: Tenacious E
So I guess she is like 75%. And you are maybe 25% just for being you.
BlankShamefulCoati-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: torbee
Link

Just get one of these. Easy to keep in the car. Runs off cig lighter and you just set the desired pressure on the display and press the power button.

I’m assuming you’re not wearing a ski mask in October. Are you normally afraid to approach women in public for fear of scaring them? Is this a thing now, or has it always been a thing, or is it just an Iowa thing? Was she going to think you were a carjacker or something?

Link

Just get one of these. Easy to keep in the car. Runs off cig lighter and you just set the desired pressure on the display and press the power button.

I’m assuming you’re not wearing a ski mask in October. Are you normally afraid to approach women in public for fear of scaring them? Is this a thing now, or has it always been a thing, or is it just an Iowa thing? Was she going to think you were a carjacker or something?
It was just a thought that crossed my mind while in a hurry that worked its way into the calculus. Not the deciding factor but probably more of a rationalization that I was done waiting for her to piss or get off the pot and I had places to be.

As others have said, she's the asshole and you're pretty patient for waiting as long as you did. I might've waited one minute, then tapped the horn. If nothing, I'd have laid on the horn and maybe thrown in a "Move your effing POS!" out the window at her, but really to no one in particular since she likely couldn't hear me.

I've got things to do, and I can't wait around all day for Karen to finish posting a pic of her pumpkin spice latte before dropping her labradoodle off at the doggie day care.

There is no asshole here. This is just life. She was in the way, she had time to fill her tires, but didn't. Its reasonable for you to fill yours. You said sorry when given an off look.

She may have been annoyed, but it doesn't sound like she made an issue. Maybe her car is a mess and it took that long to find the pressure gauge. In which case she looked down to find it, and 7 minutes later she looks up and you stole the air pump. It's reasonable for her to be annoyed in this situation.

Not a big deal though.

Do people really not own an air compressor? One of the most indispensable tools I own.
I really didn't think anyone other than mechanics had air compressors. I can't think of any need that I'd ever have for one, outside of the maybe 2x/yr that I put air in car tires.

Did she proceed to use the air compressor after you or was she just parked there? Was it a marked parking space?

She is an asshole time waster.

Also buy an air compressor.
This with emphasis on the 2nd. I don't think my air compressor goes a full month without being used for something. Adding 50' hose was a nice add too...can air up in the driveway when the wife hogs the garage. ;)

Reactions: Moral
I really didn't think anyone other than mechanics had air compressors. I can't think of any need that I'd ever have for one, outside of the maybe 2x/yr that I put air in car tires.
I use my compressor 2 or 3 times/month. Between airing tires I use it for a multitude of tools at both home and when building stuff in my volunteer activities.

So she said nothing to you? Just stared?

Clearly she is NOT an asshole. She was probably astonished that you did not see a crystal clear opportunity for DSM morning gas station back seat secks in her car. She even wore easy to remove sweatpants which is the universal sign for easy poon.

YOU are the asshole for not hitting that ass.

Reactions: stout1
This with emphasis on the 2nd. I don't think my air compressor goes a full month without being used for something. Adding 50' hose was a nice add too...can air up in the driveway when the wife hogs the garage. ;)
Also, I'll add that EVERYONE is an a$$hole when I'm trying to get somewhere efficiently.

• The person texting when we get a green arrow
  • The person driving 66 in a 65 in the left lane
  • The ONE person in the right lane going straight with 15 cars and blinkers on behind him unable to turn
  • The person trying (seemingly forever) to back into a spot while I'm just trying to get down the lane to a back spot, park and walk in to the store
  • And just for S&Gs, the dipwad with a Christmas Wreath or Halloween Skelton zip-tied to his/her grille.

Last edited:
There are a lot of clueless people these days. It’s not like they expect the world to revolve around them as much as they’re clueless and distracted. I’m an easygoing guy 99% of the time and patient if there’s a reason. However, I have no problem cutting in line or calling someone out if they’re holding something up while they’re wandering around in a daze or fumbling around on their phone.

There are a lot of clueless people these days. It’s not like they expect the world to revolve around them as much as they’re clueless and distracted. I’m an easygoing guy 99% of the time and patient if there’s a reason. However, I have no problem cutting in line or calling someone out if they’re holding something up while they’re wandering around in a daze or fumbling around on their phone.
That right there. Mostly folks playing with their phones and forgetting the rest of the world.

I don't really get the story. If the pumps not being used, and can reach your tires, you use it. why would she be mad that you were using it when she wasn't?

Reactions: Finance85

She is an asshole and likely named Karen.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
From your diagram it appears that you could have pulled nose to nose with her and got the job done...

Almost everyone in Iowa has a compressor with the exception of @Tenacious E apparently...

• Haha
Reactions: NDallasRuss
ADVERTISEMENT