ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the flagship program of the Midwest?

Flagship program

• Iowa

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • ISU

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Minnesota

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Missouri

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Wisconsin

Votes: 90 66.7%
  • Illinois

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
Wisconsin running away in recent years and Iowa a clear number 2. Maybe Mizzou, Minny, and Nebby for the next level. Minny is probably top of that group but could be flip flopped with Nebraska. Mizzou third of that group. Iowa State a clear favorite for second to last and could possibly top Missouri. Illinois; no choice but last.

As much as it pains me to admit, it is Wisconsin right now. Until we start pulling out those close games with them, it will continue to be the case.

October 18, 2008 Iowa City, IA Iowa 38–16
October 17, 2009 Madison, WI #11 Iowa 20–10
October 23, 2010 Iowa City, IA #11 Wisconsin 31–30
November 2, 2013 Iowa City, IA #23 Wisconsin 28–9
November 22, 2014 Iowa City, IA #14 Wisconsin 26–24
October 3, 2015 Madison, WI Iowa 10–6
October 22, 2016 Iowa City, IA #10 Wisconsin 17–9
November 11, 2017 Madison, WI #6 Wisconsin 38–14
September 22, 2018 Iowa City, IA #18 Wisconsin 28–17
November 9, 2019 Madison, WI #14 Wisconsin 24–22

We are 3-7 the last 10 meetings.

Wisconsin has wins of 1, 2, 2, 8, 11, 17, 24

So basically, we could have reversed that record by pulling out those close games but we didn't.

North Dakota State

change-my-mind-prove-me-wrong-blank-template-imgflip-51212811.png

There could be a serious argument for that, considering they beat Iowa, KSU, and ISU I believe and all on the P5 schools home fields....

One off games they have 2-3 years to prepare and practice for while every other school named has a full conference slate to prepare for. Nope not buying it. They wouldn't last a single season in the Big Ten. Much less win half their games.

Reactions: TheVegvisir
One off games they have 2-3 years to prepare and practice for while every other school named has a full conference slate to prepare for. Nope not buying it. They wouldn't last a single season in the Big Ten. Much less win half their games.
I agree PF was just adding a little sarcasim to the post, kind of anyway. What they've done is impressive, BUT I totally agree playing one game like that each year is not the same as being in the BIG and playing Iowa, Wisky, OSU, PSU, and Michigan all in a couple of months. From the list given obviously Wisconsin has earned the mantle, but OSU is the midwest brute without question...

One off games they have 2-3 years to prepare (Do we get 2-3 years to prepare for future opponents on our schedule?.......) and practice for while every other school named has a full conference slate to prepare for. (Does NDSU not play in a conference?) Nope not buying it. (I wasn't selling it. I was putting it on display.......) They wouldn't last a single season in the Big Ten. Much less win half their games. (I can appreciate your sour grapes. I want a revenge game that will never come as well.)
I'm sorry, was that suppose to prove me wrong?.............

Because it didn't. ;)

I agree PF was just adding a little sarcasim to the post, kind of anyway. What they've done is impressive, BUT I totally agree playing one game like that each year is not the same as being in the BIG and playing Iowa, Wisky, OSU, PSU, and Michigan all in a couple of months. From the list given obviously Wisconsin has earned the mantle, but OSU is the midwest brute without question...
A. NDSU > Wisconsin......do I need to post another spoiler as to why? :cool:

B. Ohio is not in the greatest time zone in the world, and therefore does not qualify.

You're welcome. :)

I think the "Midwest" encompasses more territory than this list would suggest....

Bingo. The Midwest is basically the traditional B1G foot print, sometimes with the northern plains states included. Most definitions exclude those states, grouping them in the "Great plains" region.

375px-Map_of_USA_Midwest.svg.png

As for the OP's list. Wisconsin has the most wins (avg 10+ over the last decade). One could argue that IOWA is just as recognizable a "brand"...if not more. (travel around the country and notice what logos you see from outstate). But Wisconsin has the Ws.

It takes more than wins. Nebraska is just as close as Minnesota even though Boat boy is getting more wins simply because they're a bigger draw. Minnesota football is just an unknown brand...even in Minnesota. The band wagon there fills up and empties faster than any place I've ever seen.

The B1G West is 1. Wisc 2. Iowa ...then a group fighting to get in that top tier...none ever really solidifying a place there.

Mizzou is playing out of its geography (civil war not withstanding) and they're a sub .500 team over the last 5 seasons.

NDSU has had great success, but please. Until they duplicate that at the BCS level they're not in the discussion.

Last edited:
Bingo. The Midwest is basically the traditional B1G foot print, sometimes with the northern plains states included. Most definitions exclude those states, grouping them in the "Great plains" region.

375px-Map_of_USA_Midwest.svg.png

As for the OP's list. Wisconsin has the most wins (avg 10+ over the last decade). One could argue that IOWA is just as recognizable a "brand"...if not more. (travel around the country and notice what logos you see from outstate). But Wisconsin has the Ws.

It takes more than wins. Nebraska is just as close as Minnesota even though Boat boy is getting more wins simply because they're a bigger draw. Minnesota football is just an unknown brand...even in Minnesota. The band wagon there fills up and empties faster than any place I've ever seen.

The B1G West is 1. Wisc 2. Iowa ...then a group fighting to get in that top tier...none ever really solidifying a place there.

Mizzou is playing out of its geography (civil war not withstanding) and they're a sub .500 team over the last 5 seasons.

NDSU has had great success, but please. Until they duplicate that at the BCS level they're not in the discussion.

That answer is Notre Dame...with a side serving of Ohio State and Michigan. None of the programs on the OP’s poll are “flagship” level programs...nor even in the ballpark for that moniker.

That answer is Notre Dame...with a side serving of Ohio State and Michigan. None of the programs on the OP’s poll are “flagship” level programs...nor even in the ballpark for that moniker.

Ignorant. Wisconsin has the #2 most Wins and #2 most conference Wins in the last 10 years behind OSU. Thanks for stopping by though.

Notre Dame hasn't been relevant in 10 years when they got completely bitch slapped in the Orange Bowl by Alabama. A game they probably shouldn't have been participating in. Before that they were busy setting the all time bowl losing streak record at what 12 games in a row? Congratulations to them, quite an accomplishment.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Ignorant. Wisconsin has the #2 most Wins and #2 most conference Wins in the last 10 years behind OSU. Thanks for stopping by though.

Notre Dame hasn't been relevant in 10 years when they got completely bitch slapped in the Orange Bowl by Alabama. A game they probably shouldn't have been participating in. Before that they were busy setting the all time bowl losing streak record at what 12 games in a row? Congratulations to them, quite an accomplishment.

The question was not “which program has been most successful on the field the past few decades?”....it was “what are the Midwest’s flagship Universities?”. Two very different questions. That is, admittedly a subjective question, but you would be hard pressed to find any serious college football analyst who doesn’t consider Notre Dame to be a flagship school....iconic even.

And for the record, I am not a Notre Dame fan in any way, shape or form. And just an FYI...being rude and snide just because you encounter a different opinion than your own...not a good look.

The question was not “which program has been most successful on the field the past few decades?”....it was “what are the Midwest’s flagship Universities?”. Two very different questions.

This is a football board. Notre Dame and Michigan are not in Wisconsin's league currently.

In the last 15 years Wisconsin has averaged 10 wins a season. Michigan 8.2, Notre Dame 6.4.

Thanks for your ignorant and off topic take though.

Last edited:
This is a football board. Notre Dame and Michigan are not in Wisconsin's league currently.

In the last 15 years Wisconsin has averaged 10 wins a season. Michigan 8.2, Notre Dame 6.4.

Thanks for your ignorant and off topic take though.

Again. You clearly don't understand what a "flagship" program is. What it ISN'T is simply the program with the most wins over the last 15 years. So you might want to look inward before calling others ignorant...because let me tell...if you could see yourself as others do you'd be very embarrassed.

Do you think UCF is more of a "flagship" than the University of Florida? Is Okie State more of a flagship than the University of Texas? Obviously not...and ditto for Wisconsin vs Notre Dame. Being a flagship is about good football...yes...and its also about name recognition, reputation, perception of a school around the nation, national following, and a host of other factors. Sorry to burst your bubble, bro.

I think you're misinterpreting the term "flagship."

Perhaps, then again perhaps not. This is a football board and the question clearly posits “program” as in football program, not as in institution.

Definition of flagship

1: the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies the commander's flag
2: the finest, largest, or most important one of a group of things

OSU & Wisc are the flagship football programs of the Big Ten. Of the options on the poll it is Wisconsin first, Iowa second. ISU is in there for comedic relief and Missouri’s program is in shambles. Notre Dame hasn’t won a Championship of relevance since the Reagan(?) administration. They schedule Wins and beat up on the military academies. Good for them.

Flagship in higher education in the US typically refers to state public schools.

But anyway, while I love Iowa

Its Michigan. Its the oldest and most prestigious major public research university in the Midwest. Theres no debate.

Perhaps, then again perhaps not. This is a football board and the question clearly posits “program” as in football program, not as in institution.

Definition of flagship

1: the ship that carries the commander of a fleet or subdivision of a fleet and flies the commander's flag
2: the finest, largest, or most important one of a group of things

OSU & Wisc are the flagship football programs of the Big Ten. Of the options on the poll it is Wisconsin first, Iowa second. ISU is in there for comedic relief and Missouri’s program is in shambles. Notre Dame hasn’t won a Championship of relevance since the Reagan(?) administration. They schedule Wins and beat up on the military academies. Good for them.
Watch btn and see who gets more attention, therefore more important....it's probably mi>wi

Since 2011 they're 2-2 head to head

Wisconsin and it’s not even close...if it were not for a fluke goal line fumble in 2015 it would be dang near 10 years since we beat them...
We have made strides but for some reason can not get rid of the Badger demons...

This year I was planning to get a Badger voodoo doll for the tailgate and figure out some sort of ritual to appease the football gods. Alas, COVID had other plans.

I’d say it’s wisky right now but I feel the Hawks are getting close.

I Agree. Hawks are/have been moving in the right direction. I think BF being OC and having an expanded role with the program is helping Kirk raise the bar... Really wish we could see them this fall. Dammit

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT