ADVERTISEMENT

Who is the greatest female vocalist of all time?

The gold standards have already been mentioned.

Janis, Aretha, stevie nicks ect.

One that has not been mentioned and a different genre.

Reba.
Here's your one chance Fancy don't let me down................ Mama's gonna move you uptown! Great tune!

But for me the best female singer ever is Whitney Houston, love some Patsy Cline as well.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
I do not know if the Europeans are allowed into this comparison, but I will submit Miss Helene Fischer for consideration. She has had a television show in Germany since the beginning of time that features her performing with anyone and everyone. She has a great voice, sings in multiple languages, and looks fabulous.

Here she is with the "Crossed Swords Pipes & Drums" performing "Amazing Grace":

... and here she is performing in the Roman Polanski musical, "Tanz der Vampire." This German language show is based on Polanski's hit movie "The Fearless Vampire Killers," with Miss Fischer in the Sharon Tate role. (and Jim Steinman creating the music)

She demonstrates the ability to sing while taking a bath ... an important performing-arts skill in my view.

Last edited:
TTB is my favorite band, so I’m partial to Susan Tedeschi. She could sing a phone book and make it awesome. Plus, she can jam on the guitar.

Also, a big fan of Aretha.

I’ll throw a couple more out:

Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson both have serious pipes.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
Mariah and Whitney have to be up there, but who else you got? I’ve always loved Janis but she is a little different.
I'm not up on the screamer vocalists and Carrey Underpants is in this category too. I prefer more unique/melodic voices like:

Amy Lee (Evanescence)
Stevie Nicks
Dolly Parton
Ingrid Andress
Jann Arden (one of my all time favorites)
Alison Krauss

Last edited:
TTB is my favorite band, so I’m partial to Susan Tedeschi. She could sing a phone book and make it awesome. Plus, she can jam on the guitar.

Also, a big fan of Aretha.

I’ll throw a couple more out:

Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson both have serious pipes.
My wife mentioned Kelly Clarkson. She said she can sing absolutely anything

I would submit Miss Honeywell (also known as Lassie) from the Porky's movie. Played by Kim Cattrall. Besides her probably Stevie Nicks. Cher deserves some mention as well.

We need a thread for male vocalists!

field-of-dreams-baseball.gif

Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT