ADVERTISEMENT

Who on this board??

PHawkKenyon

Team MVP
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2016
Cedar Rapids
This is a question for everyone who posts on this or any other board. If your child had an opportunity to play in the NBA, would you tell them to stay in college for 4 years? I ask that question because so many are saying “Keegan isn’t ready” or “he needs to stay and make memories with Kris”. There is a .03% chance of a male basketball player playing in the NBA.

There are roughly 500,000 high school boys basketball players in America at any one given time. Of those, roughly 16,000 will go on to play at a college level. That includes Division 1, 2, or 3. Of that number, only 110 will ever play in at least one NBA game.

Even if you have a lot of talent or amazing work ethic, that’s not enough to make it to the league. You also need to get lucky in terms of genetics. All of the talent in the world won’t matter if you don’t have the quickness, height, or speed you need to keep up with the pros.

The largest factor is undoubtedly height, but weight is important too. The average NBA player stands 6 feet 7 inches tall and weighs 220 pounds (Keegan and Kris both fit this criteria). Those are large men playing what is realistically a large man’s game. However, you don’t need to be that big.

The NBA dream is a real one only for a select few lucky and incredibly gifted individuals. Even some players who have all the right breaks and talent don’t have it pan out for one reason or another. It’s a tough battle that takes a lot of talent, skill, and luck. So as a parent, if my kid(s) have an opportunity to be one of the .03%, it is my job to support that opportunity!

(Stats provided by the “Dunk or Three” blog from October 19, 2021)

Don't have children but I agree with letting them decide. By the time a person gets to college, they are at the point in their lives where decisions should be theirs to make. Of course, Kenyon, you are in the unique position of having played as a college athlete so your kids should look to you for advice. And you understand that there will be others trying to influence your sons for reasons unrelated to their well-being. You can only do your best to help them to get the facts regarding their options so that they can make good decisions and not look back. Good luck!

Reactions: keosauquahawk
This is a question for everyone who posts on this or any other board. If your child had an opportunity to play in the NBA, would you tell them to stay in college for 4 years? I ask that question because so many are saying “Keegan isn’t ready” or “he needs to stay and make memories with Kris”. There is a .03% chance of a male basketball player playing in the NBA.

There are roughly 500,000 high school boys basketball players in America at any one given time. Of those, roughly 16,000 will go on to play at a college level. That includes Division 1, 2, or 3. Of that number, only 110 will ever play in at least one NBA game.

Even if you have a lot of talent or amazing work ethic, that’s not enough to make it to the league. You also need to get lucky in terms of genetics. All of the talent in the world won’t matter if you don’t have the quickness, height, or speed you need to keep up with the pros.

The largest factor is undoubtedly height, but weight is important too. The average NBA player stands 6 feet 7 inches tall and weighs 220 pounds (Keegan and Kris both fit this criteria). Those are large men playing what is realistically a large man’s game. However, you don’t need to be that big.

The NBA dream is a real one only for a select few lucky and incredibly gifted individuals. Even some players who have all the right breaks and talent don’t have it pan out for one reason or another. It’s a tough battle that takes a lot of talent, skill, and luck. So as a parent, if my kid(s) have an opportunity to be one of the .03%, it is my job to support that opportunity!

All signs point to Keegan having his opportunity after this season. As a father, I would support his decision but I would STRONGLY recommend he take his NBA opportunity now. Injuries happen all the time. Strike when the iron is hot.
Kris will have his opportunity next year. Same scenario.

Doesn't matter what anyone else would do. Only matters what you will do.

Welcome to the message board. You will hear it all here

I want what's best for my kids, and that's whatever makes them happy (unless it's some catastrophic mistake or an act of laziness, then I'll have a serious conversation). It's wishful thinking that we'll have either Murray around much longer.

I have a 14 year old son that will eventually be in a position like this for baseball. Completely different sports/numbers...yes....but my message would be the same. Do what makes you happy and what you think is best for you.

In the case of your boys and the NBA, while I would leave the decision to them, I would recommend the NBA when they have their shot. Keegan will be drafted next year. If Kris had more opportunity this year on the court, I think he could go as well. But it appears that Kris' time to shine is going to be next year. Based on watching them play and hearing tidbits here and there, your boys have a good head on their shoulders and a strong support system. College will always be there.....the NBA won't.

Kenyon, I Love your family and will support Keegan and Kris whether they are in a Hawkeye uniform or an NBA uniform. Don’t worry about what fans want for your family, have the boys do what’s best for their future. Enjoy the moment and embrace the future. Happy Holidays and may God Bless you and your family.

Reactions: hooper56 and Torg
People who say Keagan isn’t ready are greedy hawk fans trying to convince themselves he should come back for another year for selfish reasons to make their beloved Iowa team better. In all reality in the back of their minds they know, and anyone with a half a brain knows, keagan is ready for the NBA.

he should make the choice for whatever is best for him. One way or another Hawkeye nation will love and support him.

It is, in reality, the choice of the young man. They are of legal age and whatever decision they make is what it will be. Fortunately, coming from a good family, being in a good program with a good coach, they have the resources to get input from people they know and trust....which I'm sure in this case has happened and will continue through the process.

I agree with Suterman's statement......strike while the iron is hot. Assuming credible sources say Keegan will be drafted at the level that will get him a payday, it is a no brainer....he goes.

As fans we would love him to stay for all four years.....but most fans know the reality of the situation. Regardless of what happens, both of these brothers represent the state, University, team, and family with class.......all American clean cut IOWA kids! Nothing better for us Hawkeye fans.

Last edited:
My sense is that there are very few Hawk fans would not support whatever decision that Keegan chooses.
Some have opined that he could use more seasoning but those opinions do not matter...only the NBA gets to make that call.
We are Hawk fans so we want success for the Hawks...losing talented players early reduces our chances of success next season.
But the vast majority of Hawk fans will thank Keegan and wish him good luck in the NBA.

There's a small window for it, and it's his dream. As a father, If my son OR daughter are checking the boxes for what it takes to get to that level ever, physically, emotionally (that goes along with maturity), and intellectually - then I would endlessly support them, no questions asked. You have been in his shoes, and around the game more than any one of us, and you know exactly what kind of difficult decision this is. You also know that it's Keegan's at the end of the day! Anyone on here "judging" Keegan if he makes the decision to leave, or saying that "he's not ready" has no idea what they are talking about because they don't understand what it takes, and they don't know him on a personal level. Anyone unhappy with a decision to leave or unsatisfied is selfish and ungrateful. Whatever he decides to do, I will support it 100%, because he's one of us forever and has given us his all every time he steps onto the court.

I will also add in this day and age, education is so readily available online, if he wants to get his degree it'd be a piece of cake to do it virtually. It's no longer frowned upon, and it's extremely accessible, so my opinion is don't let a degree now, stop an opportunity of a lifetime that has a small window, you can always get it later.

Keegan should make a decision on what he feels is best for him. His decision on his future should not be for fans, not for teammates, not for coaches, not for Kris, not for dad, only what Keegan feels is best.

Dad's roll should be to guide their children in making the best decisions possible. Give advice when they need it, but don't make the decision for them. I have 5 kids and struggle with this times, so easier said than done. The last thing I would want as a father is to push my kids to make a decision I feel is best and have them resent me for it because it was not what they wanted. One thing every parent can agree upon is each of us want the best for our kids. Good luck with the process!

It depends on who is telling them they do or don't have the chance to play in the NBA. If a "fan" is saying they do or don't, I'm ignoring it. If a HS coach is saying it, I'm probably ignoring it unless that coach has multiple former players in the NBA, then I'd give a bit of credence. If a college coach is saying it, I'm listening, but with a grain of salt.

If an NBA scout/coach is saying it (either way), I'm listening and likely taking recommendations on how to handle things.

Comments in this forum that Keegan isn't ready for the NBA or that he should stay at Iowa and make memories with his brother should be completely ignored IMO. Keegan should do what he wants to do. It's a joy for me to watch him play for Iowa, but it's his life.

Reactions: topherchris20
Those who say that Keegan and Kris “aren’t ready” either have no clue about the NBA or are trying to delude themselves into believing that they should come back

I guess what it boils down to is, do they want to head to the Association and start making money, or do they want to postpone it for one more year and a shot to do something together that hasn’t been done before at Iowa alongside a talented returning cast of players? I think I speak for all Iowa fans when I say that we prefer the latter. However, real Hawk fans will understand and support Keegan and Kris whatever their decision is, and can see the long term value in the program putting more players in the NBA

Keegan is ready and might I add - maybe Kris too. They need to go pro and star in the League. Hawk fans might want them to stay but this will net ong-term postives for this program. Fran can finally boast, "Hey, in the past 3 years - we DEVELOPED and got 3-4 players in the NBA!" Go do your thing, young men!

There's more questions to ask than "should I go pro this year or next". You need a full plan for the future with a plan A/B/C/D in case things don't work out. There's many things to consider about life after basketball (whether you've had a successful career or not). You also have to understand the personality of the kid. Lot's to consider and it's different for everyone.

I think it depends on the circumstances for sure. If you're a guy that has a first round grade currently and you pretty much know that's going down, you need to go IMO. In the NBA, the biggest thing is getting the second contract, not the first one. 1st round you get the guarantee, you get a little more leeway because of your draft status, etc.

I would argue Talen Horton-Tucker was not ready for the NBA when he declared, and I think that was pretty much proven, but he now signed a 3 year, 32 million dollar contract. You need to get your foot in the door. If you're going to be a fringe guy like Niang or something it's good to play out your college career especially if you love it like Niang did. Also, we grew up as fans of our colleges, and that's great, but a lot of these guys grow up as bigger fans of the NBA or specific players.

Specifically regarding Keegan if he's getting a first round guarantee I'd definitely be gone. The aforementioned Horton-Tucker is actually younger than him. He's gotten a lot of extra chances IMO because of his youth. You get less chances as you get older, it's just the nature of the beast like it or not.

Not sure if this was mentioned but the only thing I would say is "make sure you get your education". The rest is gravy

• Haha
Keegan is ready. Kris probably as well after this season.

Can’t wait to see them excel at the next level.

The only other decision they have is what do they want to do after basketball. They may not know today. But plenty of athletes lose their way after their playing careers. That said - A degree is not a right of passage. Nor is a degree a requirement to be successful outside of athletics, or a guarantee.

Absolute studs that we should all appreciate the time we have with them in Black and Gold. Hawks for life.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Oh, and to add...

If my child is being told they'll be drafted, even as a lottery pick, but they want to stay in school for an extra year or two, they're staying in school.
If that's the case they should just quit playing ball then. If their dream is to play professional basketball, why would they risk getting injured and ruining their career to get a degree? You can always go back to school, you can't always go to the NBA. I doubt a lottery pick type of player's biggest dream is finishing school, it's playing in the NBA. Never put your dreams on hold.

The NBA is a tough ticket. Much tougher than the NFL, where there are more roster spots, more USA talent, and shorter careers.

As a lifetime Hawk fan I love it when players choose staying in school, like Garza and Desmond King, but also realize health and opportunity aren't guaranteed. Your boys will be appreciated no matter what road they choose. They are part of our Hawkeye family.

Most of the people on this board have no idea what they're talking about half the time so I'm not sure why you'd care about what they think. It's gotta be super exciting for you and your boys to be in this position. The NBA is a physical and mental grind along with all of the good stuff. You know way more than anyone on this board how ready your boys are for that being their father and a high profile athlete in your own right.

People suggesting that Keegan isn't ready likely are just hoping he stays because the Hawks are a lot better with him than without him. Could he end up with a better deal staying another year is really anybody’s guess but I imagine you'll have a very good idea of where he'll go in the draft at the end of the season. It's clear to me at least physically that Keegan is ready. Whether he goes pro or stays another year to enjoy college and possibly compete with Kris for a B1G title are 2 pretty good options for a young man either way.

I don't know what you're hearing from scouts regarding Kris. I hope he gets the minutes he and the team need to reach their maximum potential this year. I've been saying all along that I believe he's the second best player on the team and all of the metrics support that opinion. Hopefully his playing time reflects that sooner rather than later. Best of luck to you and the boys going forward. Gonna be a wild and exciting ride for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
If that's the case they should just quit playing ball then. If their dream is to play professional basketball, why would they risk getting injured and ruining their career to get a degree? You can always go back to school, you can't always go to the NBA. I doubt a lottery pick type of player's biggest dream is finishing school, it's playing in the NBA. Never put your dreams on hold.

Right? If a prospective employer greeted you in your 8 am stats business class and said, "Young man, we've already seen your talents. Come work with us and we'll continue developing your talents. Just sign this multi-million contract right here." I'm walking out of that class right away!

This is a question for everyone who posts on this or any other board. If your child had an opportunity to play in the NBA, would you tell them to stay in college for 4 years?

I don’t know anybody that would advise that if the child is truly ready for the next step.

I think (unfortunately) Kris isn’t utilized correctly at this point, but Keegan is ready based on his potential and body. I doubt he’ll ever experience a game as frustrating for him as the one in Ames, but as a parent I’m sure that wasn’t fun for you!

Keegan is ready. Kris probably as well after this season.

Can’t wait to see them excel at the next level.

The only other decision they have is what do they want to do after basketball. They may not know today. But plenty of athletes lose their way after their playing careers. That said - A degree is not a right of passage. Nor is a degree a requirement to be successful outside of athletics, or a guarantee.

Absolute studs that we should all appreciate the time we have with them in Black and Gold. Hawks for life.

I will say this for the NBA - as tiresome as I find guys talking about their personal brands, the focus in that league has shifted a TON and these guys for the most part are all about building wealth, businesses, etc. There aren't knuckleheads there were in the 90s like Antoine Walker who literally were broke a few years after retiring even though they made 140 million. I think the league has really stepped up and helped these guys learn what they need to do regarding investing and using their wealth in a good way.

Guys will still be irresponsible with their money, that will never change, but ultimately I think that league did a lot better compared to the NFL in developing a professional mindset on and off the court maybe of any sport. Heck LeBron is probably going to be a billionaire.

If you're looking for opinions, my opinion is to see how the Big Ten season plays out. We haven't played anyone other than Iowa State, Purdue and Illinois with much of a pulse. Tough to judge his efforts in those games due to the injury, but I suspect Keegan's numbers will come back down to earth a bit during the conference slate as teams realize they need to focus solely on him to beat us, because nobody else on the team can (until Kris starts getting more aggressive).

I would put a smaller, quicker defender on him and front with backside help if he decides to take the smaller defender into the post. The smaller guy will limit his driving ability and can deny open opportunities on the perimeter. I need to see more quickness from Keegan before calling him NBA ready.

Who else on this team is going to put up 20 points? Not Bohannon, if he is defended properly.

I will say this for the NBA - as tiresome as I find guys talking about their personal brands, the focus in that league has shifted a TON and these guys for the most part are all about building wealth, businesses, etc. There aren't knuckleheads there were in the 90s like Antoine Walker who literally were broke a few years after retiring even though they made 140 million. I think the league has really stepped up and helped these guys learn what they need to do regarding investing and using their wealth in a good way.

Guys will still be irresponsible with their money, that will never change, but ultimately I think that league did a lot better compared to the NFL in developing a professional mindset on and off the court maybe of any sport. Heck LeBron is probably going to be a billionaire.

Funny, just watched a documentary about Kevin Garnett and his first year/or two in the NBA - he only took his salary in CASH. He literally had bills underneath his mattress until someone helped him set up a bank account.

• Wow
Reactions: Greenway4Prez
I know as a fan of Iowa basketball, and I can only speak for myself, Iowa's last Big Ten Championship was in 1979. Who wouldn't want a lottery pick to stick around for one more year to have a chance to accomplish a feat that hasn't happened in 42 years.
Last year, with arguably the best player that Iowa has ever had, they couldn't accomplish reaching that mountain top and many other great Hawkeye players have failed as well, so Keegan sticking around for 1 more year, might give Iowa a better chance to fulfill those dreams, but again it doesn't guarantee it.
I'm happy that both Keagan and Kris came to Iowa to follow in your footsteps and both are representing themselves and Iowa with integrity.
Whatever Keegan decides to do after this season doesn't take away the excitement he has brought to us watching him excel on the parkey floor.
Happy holidays to the Murray family and to all who visits this board!

Reactions: 24 so far
While I would selfishly love to have him back as a Hawk, it is completely understandable that he would go to the league given all the buzz and interest.

Personally, I would have absolutely advised any of my kids if they had a high likelihood of being a first rounder to take it while it was available.

As others have said, Keegan needs to make choice that is best for him. Does he like school and playing for Iowa? I assume so but dont know
What do real experts tell him? Has he talked to Joe W and Luka ???
Fans want to keep their best player so often biased. Same for many “agents” who hope to make $$ if he goes pro.

It can be tough decision but you seem to have excellent relationship. Hopefully you will talk it out and make decision Keegan prefers

But, shouldn't it be the athletes decision?

I don't know why they'd choose to stay, and I may not advise them to do it, but if they want to stay I'm not forcing them to leave.

Funny, just watched a documentary about Kevin Garnett and his first year/or two in the NBA - he only took his salary in CASH. He literally had bills underneath his mattress until someone helped him set up a bank account.

Exactly. Drafted in 1995. That kind of thing doesn't happen anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT