ADVERTISEMENT

Who on this board??

I think they both would benefit from another year. Kris doesn’t look ready to me but has a high ceiling. Keegan looks to be more ready. I agree with those that say to thoroughly check with those in the know before throwing away a college degree.

I think they both would benefit from another year. Kris doesn’t look ready to me but has a high ceiling. Keegan looks to be more ready. I agree with those that say to thoroughly check with those in the know before throwing away a college degree.

It wouldn’t be “throwing away a college degree” if he opted to enter the NBA draft. Anyone, literally almost anyone, can get a college degree online from multiple places. I’d have to imagine Kenyon and his wife have helped prepare their sons academically pretty well throughout their high school/prep/college careers, and it’s be pretty easy for Keegan to come back and finish his degree after, or even during a professional career.

I'm a long-time Hawkeye fan, who selfishly wants Keegan back next year. Kenyon, you and Keegan know better than anyone on this board. Maybe a few guys know almost as much, but Keegan knows whether he is ready and whether another year at Iowa would improve his game and his likely success in the NBA. There is something to be said about experiences in college staying with you for the rest of your life, but will the Hawks be ready to compete for a B1G championship next year, even if Keegan comes back? Playing with Kris must be special, but I don't know how much that matters to the family. Tough decision.

Reactions: Ronman
It wouldn’t be “throwing away a college degree” if he opted to enter the NBA draft. Anyone, literally almost anyone, can get a college degree online from multiple places. I’d have to imagine Kenyon and his wife have helped prepare their sons academically pretty well throughout their high school/prep/college careers, and it’s be pretty easy for Keegan to come back and finish his degree after, or even during a professional career.
Maybe better said throwing away to play with his teammates and get a college education. He needs to make sure he is surrounded by those that care about him the person. Fran will be a big help in screening that as well. I still say Kris isn’t ready. Keegan might be but would improve his stock by staying. If he is truly, legitimately a first round pick (top 10 as some have posted) he should go. I’ve not read anywhere that Kris is there.

If your child had an opportunity to play in the NBA, would you tell them to stay in college for 4 years?
There's a lot more questions to ask then just that. This board had a lot of great discussions about Luka last year on this subject. Luka isn't the same as Keegan. Keegan is not the same as Khris. Every player's situation is different. Do you care whether he gets drafted in first or second or at all? Can he improve or hurt draft status by coming back? Does a 20 year old kid want to start a professional career and sit on the benched compared to being a starter in college? Is the goal for you to just get you're kids drafted or give them the best chance to stay in the NBA? This issue isn't black and white. It's got a whole lot of gray involved in it. It's definitely not a one size fits all situation.

Reactions: BVHawkeye
Exactly.
It's really not a choice between getting a degree and going to the NBA. The degree itself is always there to be had.
I suspect what many are referring to is the experience that can't be replicated. You can get the degree, but you can't be your 21 year old self again living in your college existence.
I had a hell of a lot of fun being that 21 year old, minus the athletic talent. But I wouldn't have hesitated then as a young man, or now as a much older man, in taking several millions of dollars and passing on a couple of those years of the college experience.

Since you asked, I would encourage them to go pro. Best of luck to both of your sons in whatever they decide. Thanks for again sharing your perspective and insight into the tough decisions these young men have to make.

There's a lot more questions to ask then just that. This board had a lot of great discussions about Luka last year on this subject. Luka isn't the same as Keegan. Keegan is not the same as Khris. Every player's situation is different. Do you care whether he gets drafted in first or second or at all? Can he improve or hurt draft status by coming back? Does a 20 year old kid want to start a professional career and sit on the benched compared to being a starter in college? Is the goal for you to just get you're kids drafted or give them the best chance to stay in the NBA? This issue isn't black and white. It's got a whole lot of gray involved in it. It's definitely not a one size fits all situation.
This is my point as well. Look what's happening to Luka. He barely gets off the bench and he plays for the worst team in the league. As talented as Keegan is, there is no guarantee that he will get a lot of playing time, even if he does become a high draft pick. So much will depend on the team that selects him. Yes, the money is great, but it will still be there next year as well. Would he rather be just a small cog on an NBA team or a big fish playing with his twin big fish in a relatively small pond for another year.

Last edited:
You can always go back and get a degree but very few do.

yes and no.

I look at it this way. If the player was a serious "Student" athlete when they were in college, they likely will return to get their degree.

If on the other hand they were in college to just get to the next level and did not take school seriously they likely were not going to get a degree had they finished 4 years of eligibility anyway..... however, some of those are the best stories as they perhaps see the importance of having an education and do return to get a degree.

The best thing is that leaving early shouldn't be a hinderance to the opportunity to finish a degree and the NCAA and schools are making it easier for them to return to do so.

This is my point as well. Look what's happening to Luka. He barely gets off the bench and he plays for the worst team in the league. As talented as Keegan is, there is not guarantee that he will get a lot of playing time, even if he does become a high draft pick. So much will depend on the team that selects him. Yes, the money is great, but it will still be there next year as well. Would he rather be just a small cog on an NBA team or a big fish playing with his twin big fish in a relatively small pond for another year.
Terrible idea, he's already old for the draft. That would only hurt him. Another year wouldn't have helped Garza, or else he would've stayed.

Reactions: just_somebody
This is my point as well. Look what's happening to Luka. He barely gets off the bench and he plays for the worst team in the league. As talented as Keegan is, there is not guarantee that he will get a lot of playing time, even if he does become a high draft pick. So much will depend on the team that selects him. Yes, the money is great, but it will still be there next year as well. Would he rather be just a small cog on an NBA team or a big fish playing with his twin big fish in a relatively small pond for another year.
Luka had nowhere near the nba potential of Keegan. It was incredible that his work ethic got him drafted. For Luka to even be on a regular season NBA roster is quite a feat for him.

Look at the actual ages of the first round picks historically!
Look at last year. Only one pick in the top ten who is 22, none who are 21, most are 18-19. Are you just guessing at these things?

Here's a link for you to study so you can stop arguing about something you're not up to speed on.

Garza was drafted late and barely got in, Murray is a whole different story.

Reactions: 01135965
22 is not too old. I could give a shit about early entries. Are you saying he will be hurt by staying because he will be too old. That is laughable.
It isn't laughable. Keegan is pretty smart and that was one of his questions to agency we are entertaining. On one side they say that his age (21) is valuable because he is more mature, has played against physically developed players in college and they don't have to worry about the "off the court" things that could get a player younger than 21 in trouble. On the other hand, the top 10-12 teams are pretty bad and look for "long term" development with younger players.

Getting drafted is one thing, but staying in the league for a long time is key. If he were to leave Iowa, going later in the draft would allow him to go to a solid team with veteran leadership and a stable coach. He could be a role player from day one as he works on the skill set so many have been raving about at the next level. Trust me, we are doing our homework for what will be best for Keegan, Iowa Basketball and our family as a whole.

It isn't laughable. Keegan is pretty smart and that was one of his questions to agency we are entertaining. On one side they say that his age (21) is valuable because he is more mature, has played against physically developed players in college and they don't have to worry about the "off the court" things that could get a player younger than 21 in trouble. On the other hand, the top 10-12 teams are pretty bad and look for "long term" development with younger players.

Getting drafted is one thing, but staying in the league for a long time is key. If he were to leave Iowa, going later in the draft would allow him to go to a solid team with veteran leadership and a stable coach. He could be a role player from day one as he works on the skill set so many have been raving about at the next level. Trust me, we are doing our homework for what will be best for Keegan, Iowa Basketball and our family as a whole.
Sound planning. I was very happy when Weezy went to San Antonio, sad for Luka when he went to Detroit. I think landing with a coach like Pop is a great opportunity for a young player. Would love to see either of the Murrays there.

Unless there is some unforeseen circumstance, it sounds as if Keegan is 100% gone after this season. No point in debating it any further and just enjoy it while he's here.

Last edited:

I appreciate you sharing what this experience is like because it’s fascinating to read an inside perspective. No matter what, I think we all wish Keegan the best.

22 is not too old. I could give a shit about early entries. Are you saying he will be hurt by staying because he will be too old. That is laughable.
You're ignoring the facts. 22 is old for a top ten pick. That's a fact. Keep hanging on to your beliefs, you're just looking like a fool. Did you know grass is orange too?

Unless there is some unforeseen circumstance, it sounds as if Keegan is 100% gone after this season. No point in debating it any further and just enjoy it while he's here.

It does seem that way. As a Hawkeye fan, that's too bad, but of course I understand. It's hard (as a fan) because we just had 4 years with Luka and were able to watch him continue to grow as a player/person and he became one of the Iowa greats. With Keegan being right behind Luka, I think a lot of people were excited to see Keegan be that next Iowa great, he has the skills, the personality (nice guy), and the involved family. So for me (yes being selfish) it's disappointing to read about Keegan working on leaving when there's so much more to accomplish at Iowa. I was hoping we'd be hoisting jerseys into the rafters for both Keegan and Kris. On a positive note, it's still a possibility for Kris.

He might want to purposefully have some bad interviews with the bad teams to make sure he doesn't go too high in the draft and end up in Cleveland :)

He will represent Iowa well whenever and wherever he goes. He's a high character, high effort, team oriented player with a wide variety of skills that allows him to play a lot of different roles. The NBA likes guys who can switch on defense without giving the other team an advantage, and he can switch onto a lot of different types of players and still defend them. He can also be a mismatch on the other end if matched up on a big or small guy. If he gets his deeper 3's to go more consistently he'll be a handful on both ends.

I've compared him to Harrison Barnes (6'8.5", 228lbs, 6'11" wingspan at draft) who was drafted as a SF but plays some PF at times. Barnes was picked 7th and was athletic but was only a good, not great perimeter shooter and struggled to drive the ball on set defenders - things I think are similar to Keegan. However, I think Keegan rebounds and blocks shots a lot better than Barnes and may still have upside with his perimeter shot.

Keegan is fun to watch because he doesn't dominate in a flashy way despite his dunks - he just keeps piling on points and rebounds and then you look up and he's got 20 and 10 and it seemed like he only worked half as hard as Garza had to for the same output.. In reality he's working very hard, it's just so smooth that it looks effortless.

You're ignoring the facts. 22 is old for a top ten pick. That's a fact. Keep hanging on to your beliefs, you're just looking like a fool. Did you know grass is orange too?
My point is you are no where near your prime dip sh*t. You’re not too old at 22 to play basketball. But hey I’m 67 maybe there is still a chance to be as wise as you!

So it was better for Joe W to develop his game while sitting on he bench instead of playing 35 minutes in the big? It also hurt Garza to stay and become player of the year because he is too old.

I have said that Keegan is more ready than Kris. So Kris would be hurt by staying too? He’s not even starting for Iowa but he does have a high ceiling. No question another year is needed.

The average age in the NBA is 27. If Keegan gets good advice, and that advice is to leave early, then he should listen.

My point is you are no where near your prime dip sh*t. You’re not too old at 22 to play basketball. But hey I’m 67 maybe there is still a chance to be as wise as you!
I didn't mean to get you all worked up chief. It's just basketball.

Dodger pretty much hit the nail on the head. It’s the defensive versatility piece. NBA teams will exploit any mismatch on the floor, and Garza’s relative lack of athleticism at the 5 makes him a bad matchup against athletic big men (Jarrett Allen had a field day going over the top of Luka earlier this year). It also means that opposing teams will find a way to switch him and force him into defending their more athletic/quicker guards which is simply no contest.

In short, his offensive productivity (which is still going to be good in the NBA) will probably end up offsetting the liability that he is at the other end of the floor
Coming back to this. The fact that Garza has played a number of games in the NBA now and had a game the other night where he got 20 is testament to his hard work and skill. Just incredible. Never would have thought when he came to Iowa that he would play in a real NBA game. I have no idea if he sticks for multiple years, but hats off to him for actually getting on a roster.

Coming back to this. The fact that Garza has played a number of games in the NBA now and had a game the other night where he got 20 is testament to his hard work and skill. Just incredible. Never would have thought when he came to Iowa that he would play in a real NBA game. I have no idea if he sticks for multiple years, but hats off to him for actually getting on a roster.
Agreed. Great for him to see the fruits of his unmatched work ethic, and great for Iowa to have another NBA player to sell prospective recruits on

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT