ADVERTISEMENT

Who on this board??

On another post I asked the question is going pro early the best thing for him. The only reason I asked that question is because is I'd like him to be ready to impress going in. I've seen so many guys go in to early, and just disappear amongst a lot of talented players. And I get tired of a lot of posters wanting to be the first to say he's gone after this year. If he were my son, I'd just enjoy the season, and have him evaluated at the combine. I'd talk to as many people who have had to make this decision as possible. I do think you have got a lot of good input in this post on both sides of the question. I'd love to see him play at the next level, and I'm really enjoy watching both your sons playing for the Hawks.

If guaranteed first rd pick, id go 100 out of 100 times. If 2nd rd/borderline drafted, you may as well go back to improve your stock. 1st rd contracts are guaranteed, 2nd rd nba contracts are crapshoots. Lucky to get a 2way

If i was keegan, id be gone and not think twice. He's a top 20 pick at worst. Kris definitely come back for a year, work his way to late 1st rd next draft.

Proud father and a great Hawk Kenyon!

Reactions: Hawkeyesgonewild
This is a question for everyone who posts on this or any other board. If your child had an opportunity to play in the NBA, would you tell them to stay in college for 4 years? I ask that question because so many are saying “Keegan isn’t ready” or “he needs to stay and make memories with Kris”. There is a .03% chance of a male basketball player playing in the NBA.

There are roughly 500,000 high school boys basketball players in America at any one given time. Of those, roughly 16,000 will go on to play at a college level. That includes Division 1, 2, or 3. Of that number, only 110 will ever play in at least one NBA game.

Even if you have a lot of talent or amazing work ethic, that’s not enough to make it to the league. You also need to get lucky in terms of genetics. All of the talent in the world won’t matter if you don’t have the quickness, height, or speed you need to keep up with the pros.

The largest factor is undoubtedly height, but weight is important too. The average NBA player stands 6 feet 7 inches tall and weighs 220 pounds (Keegan and Kris both fit this criteria). Those are large men playing what is realistically a large man’s game. However, you don’t need to be that big.

The NBA dream is a real one only for a select few lucky and incredibly gifted individuals. Even some players who have all the right breaks and talent don’t have it pan out for one reason or another. It’s a tough battle that takes a lot of talent, skill, and luck. So as a parent, if my kid(s) have an opportunity to be one of the .03%, it is my job to support that opportunity!

(Stats provided by the “Dunk or Three” blog from October 19, 2021)

I would say do what you believe is best for your family. Most people who say "he's not ready" are not scouts but rather passionate fans who want to keep the band together another year.

If my kids were 20+ years old and in college… I would offer my advice if I asked… But I would not expect a play too be of a role in their future decisions at that point.

I think players like Keegan have the most to gain from sticking around for a couple years, maybe even all 4, to develop physically before testing the NBA waters. His stock will rise as he fills out and being the "man" on a team will acclimate him to being the focal point of defenses.
If he's projected as around the #10 pick now his stock can only go down by getting older. That's a fact. Plus he's already the man on this team.

Bart Torvik has a stat (PRPG!) meant to show how impactful an individual player is. Keegan has a 6.7 rating which is good for #5 in the country. Garza was #1 last year at 7.0. He is absolutely elite right now. Duke's Paolo Banchero, who might be the #1 pick, is at 3.8.

Keegan is probably 1st team all Big 10 and an All-American right now.

Reactions: EduNeerHawk
This is a question for everyone who posts on this or any other board. If your child had an opportunity to play in the NBA, would you tell them to stay in college for 4 years? I ask that question because so many are saying “Keegan isn’t ready” or “he needs to stay and make memories with Kris”. There is a .03% chance of a male basketball player playing in the NBA.

There are roughly 500,000 high school boys basketball players in America at any one given time. Of those, roughly 16,000 will go on to play at a college level. That includes Division 1, 2, or 3. Of that number, only 110 will ever play in at least one NBA game.

Even if you have a lot of talent or amazing work ethic, that’s not enough to make it to the league. You also need to get lucky in terms of genetics. All of the talent in the world won’t matter if you don’t have the quickness, height, or speed you need to keep up with the pros.

The largest factor is undoubtedly height, but weight is important too. The average NBA player stands 6 feet 7 inches tall and weighs 220 pounds (Keegan and Kris both fit this criteria). Those are large men playing what is realistically a large man’s game. However, you don’t need to be that big.

The NBA dream is a real one only for a select few lucky and incredibly gifted individuals. Even some players who have all the right breaks and talent don’t have it pan out for one reason or another. It’s a tough battle that takes a lot of talent, skill, and luck. So as a parent, if my kid(s) have an opportunity to be one of the .03%, it is my job to support that opportunity!

I'm not sure I've seen many, if any, say he's not ready. Many hoping he would stay and play another year because he's so good, and Kris staying would hopefully be that reason. Every Hawk fan supports the Murray's, I promise you that. We have a lot of really negative fans on this board, so negative, I have a hard time believing they aren't disguising themselves as fans of another school, trying to troll. It's beyond comprehension most days.

If they want to try then go for it. If you don't try you never would have known if you were good enough.

If he's projected as around the #10 pick now his stock can only go down by getting older. That's a fact. Plus he's already the man on this team.

Bart Torvik has a stat (PRPG!) meant to show how impactful an individual player is. Keegan has a 6.7 rating which is good for #5 in the country. Garza was #1 last year at 7.0. He is absolutely elite right now. Duke's Paolo Banchero, who might be the #1 pick, is at 3.8.

I am not saying Keegan isn't ready or won't get drafted. I am simply stating that if you look at the physiques of guys on NBA rosters and look at Keegan or 90% of college kids his age, there is a major gap. Iowa has played 4 legit opponents thus far, so the body of work is primarily comprised of cupcake teams.

Ultimately it's up to Keegan and his family and I wish him the best. Based on my limited talents, the only options I had were B or C squad. Obi Toppin was NPOY two years ago and is a career 5.4 ppg career scorer and he was a "lock" according to the experts. As long as you get a contract and are smart, you can be set for life.

It would be great to see Keegan have a long NBA run and come back to coach the team one day.

this 1000 times!

I am not saying Keegan isn't ready or won't get drafted. I am simply stating that if you look at the physiques of guys on NBA rosters and look at Keegan or 90% of college kids his age, there is a major gap. Iowa has played 4 legit opponents thus far, so the body of work is primarily comprised of cupcake teams.

Ultimately it's up to Keegan and his family and I wish him the best. Based on my limited talents, the only options I had were B or C squad. Obi Toppin was NPOY two years ago and is a career 5.4 ppg career scorer and he was a "lock" according to the experts. As long as you get a contract and are smart, you can be set for life.

It would be great to see Keegan have a long NBA run and come back to coach the team one day.
Keegan is 6'8" and 225 lbs. If you think his body isn't NBA ready, you're mistaken.

The days of the bruising physical NBA are long over. It's an athletes game now where length and skill rule.

Reactions: littlez

Take the money. Finishing school can come later. The NBA is a very rare opportunity.

I'd say PHawk has a handle on this one. There's still 2/3rds of the season to play. Plenty of time to take a view. Hard to turn down the money, the prestige and all that goes with playing professional sports if there's a realistic chance of making a team, and you're not just chasing the dream a year too early.

Think these boys will have topflight advice and parenting. Really don't foresee a slicky agent pulling one over on either parents or children. It's not like they have to buy cars or houses for the parents. Enviable position for Keagan and Kris. A good deliberative team and the luxury of a good deliberative process. From what we've seen thus far couldn't happen to nicer kids.

Ironic and fun scenario. Keegan leads the B!G in scoring goes to the NBA and Kris leads the B!G in scoring next year. Has that ever happened, brothers in back-to-back years? That would be cool.
That's not ironic at all.

I have a kid playing Division III right now and he played in some really good AAU tourneys in LA...against a ton of Power 5 players...and we were immersed in that world for a number of years. I think most people don't realize everything that goes into being an NBA player...and the rarity it is. You have to have that continuous improvement drive, and an especially serious mental toughness. Not all kids are mentally ready to go to the NBA even after a few years in college...look at all the busts that have happened or guys that don't make it despite the athleticism and talent. The kids that make it and excel have a resiliency that I'm almost shocked by...and a confidence that is really God given in my view.

I'm not qualified to speak for Kenyon here...he knows his kids better than anyone. The only reason I wouldn't send them to the NBA as soon as possible, is if I thought they would benefit from another year in a more supportive environment (Iowa) from a maturity standpoint, physically & mentally (confidence). Once you are in the NBA...you are in.

I just think if you think they are ready...you send them right away...if all the draft metrics (1st round/early second) are there...plus the financials.
Absolutely. Its hard, and the competition is mindboggling. My youngest was one of the best pure shooters ever in the KC area, but at 6'2" didn't have the size to play D1 ball as a wing, or the quickness to play as a guard. He went to all the midwest AAU invite only camps, and had several coaches tell me, "if only he was 4 inches taller", and the like. Had a nice career at the NAIA level, and even there, there's a ton of really good players. If your in that top 1/2 percent, you have to go when you can. We'll all have fun watching the twins in the league too....

If my son had an opportunity to get paid(very well) to do something he loves like play a sport, I would absolutely encourage him to go do it as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

If that stays anywhere near accurate come draft time, I don’t think it’s much of a decision for anyone.
Yeah, that's the kind of money you simply cannot refuse. You don't even need Luca Braci to extend that offer. If that really happens having 3 guys in the NBA will not hurt recruiting.

Totally agree, but there is a lot of season to go. Let's just enjoy the rest of the season and see if that's how it ends.

A lot of season left. I hope nothing but the best for Keegan what ever he decides. I’ll cheer for him as long as he’s playing the game. Selfishly, I hope he stays at Iowa for as long as he can. I wouldn’t blame him for getting paid as soon as possible either. He’s got to do what’s best for him.

He’s obviously in a unique position, not only being one of the best players that could be in the draft next year, but one with a twin who he’s been with every step of the way. I’m sure Keegan is torn on his future plans.

2021-Rolls-Royce-Ghost.jpg

Take the money and let your brother drive your Rolls once in a while.

He'll if I know...I don't even watch the NBA lol.

Id tell them to talk to an expert not me :D.

What are the odds of a career ending bball injury? Seems very unlikely but obviously not impossible.

Then again I don't follow NBA, just seems most the greats play forever.

Those who say that Keegan and Kris “aren’t ready” either have no clue about the NBA or are trying to delude themselves into believing that they should come back

I guess what it boils down to is, do they want to head to the Association and start making money, or do they want to postpone it for one more year and a shot to do something together that hasn’t been done before at Iowa alongside a talented returning cast of players? I think I speak for all Iowa fans when I say that we prefer the latter. However, real Hawk fans will understand and support Keegan and Kris whatever their decision is, and can see the long term value in the program putting more players in the NBA
Im a bball dummy, but can't grasp how Garza can be a mid 2nd rounder but then hear Kris, maybe even Keegan, is NBA ready. More athletic, yes. More potenial, possibly and probably.

I never played a second of "organized" bball tho lol

Reactions: chuck285
Right? If a prospective employer greeted you in your 8 am stats business class and said, "Young man, we've already seen your talents. Come work with us and we'll continue developing your talents. Just sign this multi-million contract right here." I'm walking out of that class right away!
You have much less to lose in that scenario if the guy is wrong.

I get your point though

If guaranteed first rd pick, id go 100 out of 100 times. If 2nd rd/borderline drafted, you may as well go back to improve your stock. 1st rd contracts are guaranteed, 2nd rd nba contracts are crapshoots. Lucky to get a 2way

If i was keegan, id be gone and not think twice. He's a top 20 pick at worst. Kris definitely come back for a year, work his way to late 1st rd next draft.

Proud father and a great Hawk Kenyon!
After isu Id say pump the brakes a bit

If I was advising my own son, I would make sure that he received well-grounded advice from as many people in-the-know as we could find.

I'm not going to even try to evaluate Keegan's potential until he plays the B1G season, but he certainly looks like a future NBA player.
This year or next? IDK.

Im a bball dummy, but can't grasp how Garza can be a mid 2nd rounder but then hear Kris, maybe even Keegan, is NBA ready. More athletic, yes. More potenial, possibly and probably.

Because of what the NBA game is. You said it yourself. NBA is all about spacing the floor, movement with and without the ball. Very little post-up. Some, but not a staple like it was 20 years ago where you threw the ball in to Shaq or Duncan and either let them score or if they doubled throw it outside. The versatility that both Murrays (or players like them) offer is what makes them potential good fits in the NBA. Size to guard several positions. Athleticism to handle switches or getting matched up against different players in transition. Ability to knock down an outside shot or take it to the rim. High basketball IQ and ability to share the ball.

I will enjoy watching them play for however long they are Hawkeyes and tracking their careers after that. Great testament to what hard work can get you.

I assume your boys are good students and can see the long term benefit of a degree, not that they can’t get it later.
I think you’ll have a decision based on factors you already mentioned.
If they enjoy college, have some NIL opportunities, and can develop better in college then that’s a pretty good option most kids don’t have.
If decent bank $$ is a high probability from leaving early then I’d tell my kid to take it - just need the data coming from legitimate sources you can trust. Decent bank to me is over $200k for more than 4/5 years. Then make sure they are frugal.

Interesting question KM3. From a distant observation, the way both your boys have grown into the young men they are both on and off the court proves the fact you and your family have already won a very difficult game to win. Well done.
On the NBA ? KM15 is physically and mentally ready within the game to move into the next level. Whether he is emotionally ready for the grind and realities of pro sports is something only your family can help determine.
The good thing is this process with KM15 will make it easier when you have to go through the same dance in the near future with KM22. 😎 Not a horrible problem to have.
Enjoy the ride and thx for allowing us fans the chance to watch your boys play for our favorite team. GO HAWKS

Dodger pretty much hit the nail on the head. It’s the defensive versatility piece. NBA teams will exploit any mismatch on the floor, and Garza’s relative lack of athleticism at the 5 makes him a bad matchup against athletic big men (Jarrett Allen had a field day going over the top of Luka earlier this year). It also means that opposing teams will find a way to switch him and force him into defending their more athletic/quicker guards which is simply no contest.

In short, his offensive productivity (which is still going to be good in the NBA) will probably end up offsetting the liability that he is at the other end of the floor

I can only give advice based on being a fan and only thinking of myself. Both will be ready for NBA no sooner than 2024, maybe 2025 (do they get extra covid year).

They both need to play the rest of the year. Then scouts and coaches will be able to help them decide. If they can score and rebound like they are now then maybe they should go. They are playing against okay players now but when you go to the NBA you get abused by most of the NBA players.
And who can guarantee a first round pick? I don't know about NBA but I see guys in the NFL who are sure first round picks and still are on the board going into the third round.
Take the money in most cases....

This is a question for everyone who posts on this or any other board. If your child had an opportunity to play in the NBA, would you tell them to stay in college for 4 years?
I would say enjoy this day... you could spend all your time worrying about this and that... then tomorrow walk out of the gym and get run over by a bus.... and all that worrying will have been for nothing.
enjoy this day... when the time comes to make a decision... the right decision will be obvious.

1st round opportunity is a no brainer. Keegan's versatility allows him to grow into a role. Keegan needs to continue to develop the alpha man mentality that seems necessary for NBA longevity. He is well on his way and should take a 1st round opportunity and run with it.

Reactions: amahawk
I stopped watching the NBA years ago for a variety of reasons. I played basketball in college and loved every second of that experience. I strongly believe, however, if the feedback is that he will be a first round selection which includes (don’t know the answer to this) guaranteed money he should go in a heartbeat.

Keegan is 6'8" and 225 lbs. If you think his body isn't NBA ready, you're mistaken.

The days of the bruising physical NBA are long over. It's an athletes game now where length and skill rule.

True, but his game is more inside the NBA 3 point line than outside of it with much of that being around the rim. His weight will likely end up around 230 so he’s close weight wise, but can still get stronger in most areas which will help him keep position and stay on his driving line. Most NBA players bodies look a lot different than draft day and that will be true for Keagan even though both brothers have improved physically since starting at DME.

Saying they still need to develop but are NBA ready aren’t mutually exclusive. They may be ready even if they could be even more ready :)

Kenyon, I’m a little late to this thread but heres my $.02. I used to be a huge “stay in school” advocate, but anymore if I have a child that can make money playing sports, I’d tell them to strike while the iron is hot. They can always go back and finish an education, you can’t always go back and play in the nfl or nba. There’s limited tread on the tires and I see no reason for kids not to take the opportunity to put themselves a head in life and make money while their body allows.

Kenyon, I’m a little late to this thread but heres my $.02. I used to be a huge “stay in school” advocate, but anymore if I have a child that can make money playing sports, I’d tell them to strike while the iron is hot. They can always go back and finish an education, you can’t always go back and play in the nfl or nba. There’s limited tread on the tires and I see no reason for kids not to take the opportunity to put themselves a head in life and make money while their body allows.
Well put.

Reactions: TailgateTom
ADVERTISEMENT