ADVERTISEMENT

Who ran HWC prior to Perry?

hawknut

HR Heisman
Jan 12, 2003
was it Metcalf? ISU insider buddy claims Brands fired Metcalf. Just curious if true.

was it Metcalf? ISU insider buddy claims Brands fired Metcalf. Just curious if true.

Your "insider" buddy should know that ISU lured Brent away from a USA Wrestling position. He is now 2 jobs removed from being on the HWC.

Reactions: IAChief32
Your "insider" buddy should know that ISU lured Brent away from a USA Wrestling position. He is now 2 jobs removed from being on the HWC.

Good point. After Brent's loss in the Olympic Trials, I think it was unclear whether he would be back or not. Total conjecture, but I kind of get the feeling that Brent was serving two masters...the hunting stuff and wrestling. I think they decided to pull Brent's HWC funding because they needed to support the guys that were "in"...especially with Gilman, Clark, Brooks etc on the horizon. Brent took the USA job and the rest is history.

Ironic, considering it was Brent's defection to ISU that got the fundraising thing going.

Your friend is a moron.

Brands did, for all intents and purposes, fire Zadick. Maybe that's the confusion. Either way, it is fun to see all the loser ISU fans who ripped Zadick/Iowa for the poaching now embrace the guy like a hero. What a merry band of morons.

Good point. After Brent's loss in the Olympic Trials, I think it was unclear whether he would be back or not. Total conjecture, but I kind of get the feeling that Brent was serving two masters...the hunting stuff and wrestling. I think they decided to pull Brent's HWC funding because they needed to support the guys that were "in"...especially with Gilman, Clark, Brooks etc on the horizon. Brent took the USA job and the rest is history.

Ironic, considering it was Brent's defection to ISU that got the fundraising thing going.

Supporting guys who were "in" like McDonugh? Not sure how/why McDonough got HWC funds over Metcalf. I love McDonough and he was one of my all-time favorites to watch, but Metcalf would be better to have around right now than McDonough. How many lightweight coaches/workout partners do you need? Any money received by the Dardanes brothers would've been better spent on Metcalf as well.

Reactions: 9Hawks
So you would rather fund someone who may have or might not have continued wrestling over two brothers who are all in? The Dardanes have improved a lot in freestyle, their team trial results show it. I don't understand some of the flack the two get on here; I think they represent the club well.

This is much like the recruiting thread there are no right or wrong answers-- Many disagree often with how the staff recruits,what style they use,how they go about it etc.. and quite frankly-- some of you may be right (hard to know until yrs later)

It is ok to question/disagree/have an opinion-- This is an internet message forum-- we have that right. I actually love it when people can debate and offer thoughts and still RESPECT each other after.

With that said--keep this in mind-- The staff typically can not and wont go into all that they know. If we knew what they knew--our minds might change.

As a Hawkeye fanatic for many years I hated it when Terry Brands left-- then I hated it when Tom Brands left-- and going back even further I can give you many more examples--Matter of fact I had many reasons why I felt they should have stayed or a position created on staff or within the HWC.

I wasnt privy to the behind the scenes thoughts, money situation etc.. and even if i was I still might not have agreed-- but this sort of stuff happens-- Molinaro left PSU-- Im sure many are not thrilled. Eric Guererro just left OK St--

Brent Metcalf has my respect as a former Hawkeye, a former HWC wrestler that represented the USA and a friend.Matter of fact I talked to him a couple weeks ago. Only time he is the enemy is when his guys are competing against ours--or when he recruiting the same guy(s) we are-- and even that is uncomfortable-- because I like the guy!

He has a super job-- I wish him success --just as I did with most of the other Hawks that left over the years.

Have a super day-- #GOHAWKS

Can we get a few more slams on McD, Metcalf and a some other HWC guys?

Hard to understand when I read this board, full of Hawk fans, why there is always so much speculation on silly things where during the course of speculating we bash some of our greats or when talking about incoming recruits or prospects we say things that, if they were to read, might be offensive for no reason and with no actual facts. ie: We are taking money from a guy in HWC to give it to another guy who does not deserve it. This recruit is not academically qualified. This kid parties too much or does not have work ethic.

While we are all so focused on supporting HWC, as this will lead to an improvement in Iowa Wrestling overall, why don't we also try and bolster that support by re-reading our posts before submitting. We may be causing self inflicted wounds that negate some of the positives being done through the HWC and on the recruiting trail.

I get it, it's a message board and speculation is a big part of why we read and post, but I believe this should be done with the understanding that those being discussed are reading what we are saying, and for that reason we should try and be respectful to those whom we want to join and support our cause.

Maybe I am off base here, maybe it's just me, if that's the case then forgive my rant.

This is much like the recruiting thread there are no right or wrong answers-- Many disagree often with how the staff recruits,what style they use,how they go about it etc.. and quite frankly-- some of you may be right (hard to know until yrs later)

It is ok to question/disagree/have an opinion-- This is an internet message forum-- we have that right. I actually love it when people can debate and offer thoughts and still RESPECT each other after.

With that said--keep this in mind-- The staff typically can not and wont go into all that they know. If we knew what they knew--our minds might change.

As a Hawkeye fanatic for many years I hated it when Terry Brands left-- then I hated it when Tom Brands left-- and going back even further I can give you many more examples--Matter of fact I had many reasons why I felt they should have stayed or a position created on staff or within the HWC.

I wasnt privy to the behind the scenes thoughts, money situation etc.. and even if i was I still might not have agreed-- but this sort of stuff happens-- Molinaro left PSU-- Im sure many are not thrilled. Eric Guererro just left OK St--

Brent Metcalf has my respect as a former Hawkeye, a former HWC wrestler that represented the USA and a friend.Matter of fact I talked to him a couple weeks ago. Only time he is the enemy is when his guys are competing against ours--or when he recruiting the same guy(s) we are-- and even that is uncomfortable-- because I like the guy!

He has a super job-- I wish him success --just as I did with most of the other Hawks that left over the years.

Have a super day-- #GOHAWKS

Unfortunately, there are rumors out there that Iowa screwed Metcalf somehow...just like Mike and Ramos. This is used to negatively recruit against Iowa...true or not. We all love Metcalf. Feel the same about Zadick and Ramos. However, the only situation that had any kind of transparency was the Ramos situation and that's because he went public.

Reactions: pumpdog20
Supporting guys who were "in" like McDonugh? Not sure how/why McDonough got HWC funds over Metcalf. I love McDonough and he was one of my all-time favorites to watch, but Metcalf would be better to have around right now than McDonough. How many lightweight coaches/workout partners do you need? Any money received by the Dardanes brothers would've been better spent on Metcalf as well.

If McDonough is still getting HWC funds they are minimal at best as he has a full time job which wasn't true for Metcalf.

The Dardanes boys are both top 5 ranked US wrestlers. Really tough to say they shouldn't be in a wrestling club over a guy who isn't wrestling.

Unfortunately, there are rumors out there that Iowa screwed Metcalf somehow...just like Mike and Ramos. This is used to negatively recruit against Iowa...true or not. We all love Metcalf. Feel the same about Zadick and Ramos. However, the only situation that had any kind of transparency was the Ramos situation and that's because he went public.

Well we know what happened with Zadick and he had run his course in Iowa. I loved him while he was here but he had to go.

I wish like heck we could've kept Metcalf but I think Perry is great for the HWC job and working more one-on-one with our college guys. I think he brings a different approach and funk that was desperately needed in the room. Truth be told, I think Illinois and Iowa benefited greatly from it. Perry wasn't a great fit for Illinois whereas I think Poeta is built for the job and will improve their program. Good for everyone involved.

Novak - you raise great points. A couple observations that are probably obvious. If Metcalf or whomever leaves Iowa and goes anywhere but ISU and probably PSU we just wish them luck. And don't think twice. But in fairness this situation is kind of beyond weird. I mean 4 former Hawk wrestlers all go to an in-state rival to coach and recruit against their former team? Gotta admit never heard of that before in any sport. And of course I find it amusing how now they are all in on Zadick and Metcalf. The ISU fans were merciless on Zadick for his antics "little money jumping around" comes to mind as well as the poaching and how he "should never be associated with coaching college athletes again" or something to that effect. Of course, Metcalf after Caldwell loss was universally panned as "horrible" for the sport by these same fans that trumpet him now. Maybe that is all to be expected. Regardless, I wish them all the best of luck. Oh yeah, besides Buf, any Cyclone claiming to be an insider on wrestling is an absolute liar and their comments should be treated as such. The jealousy of big brother always comes out and results in at best unfounded rumors and at worst outright lies.

So you would rather fund someone who may have or might not have continued wrestling over two brothers who are all in? The Dardanes have improved a lot in freestyle, their team trial results show it. I don't understand some of the flack the two get on here; I think they represent the club well.

I remember watching the Dardanes wrestle when they were at MN and always thinking they should have been Hawks. They are intense hard nosed. Always moving forward, old school Iowa style wrestlers. Love their intensity. I don't even care if they never accomplish anything international, they are a benefit to have in the room.

I remember watching the Dardanes wrestle when they were at MN and always thinking they should have been Hawks. They are intense hard nosed. Always moving forward, old school Iowa style wrestlers. Love their intensity. I don't even care if they never accomplish anything international, they are a benefit to have in the room.

I am sure there are benefits of having the Dardanes boys in the room. I'm just saying if the choice was between funding Dardanes vs Metcalf, I think the money is better spent on keeping Metcalf around, even if he is done competing.

I think the Perry/Metcalf situation is a win-win. Metcalf is well-regarded and well-respected, and I once considered him a possible heir apparent to Tom & Terry. However, that was when the "Iowa Style" was still considered the dominant winning style because Iowa--even a couple of years without an NCAA title--was still the dominant team.

Fast-forward several years, and not only is Iowa no longer the dominant team, Metcalf (with his Iowa style) didn't have the international impact of a Burroughs or Snyder. He plateaued and went out with a whimper instead of a bang. Shit happens. It was tragic for him, of course (as much as we can apply a term like "tragic" to a sport), but it also didn't help the momentum of the HWC or Iowa's NCAA team or the "Iowa Style."

It's now a valid question whether the heir apparent to Tom & Terry should be a Tom & Terry clone--in fact it's probably not even a question at this point. Most agree we need more diversity of style and personality in the room--among both wrestlers and perhaps coaches. God, country, clean living, and Iowa Style? Eh. Show me an NCAA title.

Given that Metcalf is at the end of his competitive career, his style is similar to Brands', and he no longer has the marquee value of a Burroughs or Snyder or even Taylor or Dake, a six-figure job in Ames is a good career move, and a nice nab by Dresser.

Enter Perry, who has a funkier wrestling style and probably a funkier personality than Brands. He's got the NCAA-title cred, the Iowa alumni cred, but he also brings this new, fresh sense that he's an "outsider," he's different, a bit of a rebel, and that's going to shake things up. It also comes at the same time that more money is flowing into the HWC and Iowa's NCAA recruiting is on the upswing. This is a good career move for him and great momentum for both the HWC and the NCAA team.

Could Perry the new heir apparent? Too early to say. But if he succeeds in bringing the HWC back to dominance, if a couple of HWC guys bring back medals in 2020 (cough, Gilman), if he brings in new talent like IMar to the club, and if the NCAA team returns to a 100+ point team (setting aside the larger challenge of dethroning PSU), all that bodes well. His timing is good.

Sorry for the long rant (again).

I think the Perry/Metcalf situation is a win-win. Metcalf is well-regarded and well-respected, and I once considered him a possible heir apparent to Tom & Terry. However, that was when the "Iowa Style" was still considered the dominant winning style because Iowa--even a couple of years without an NCAA title--was still the dominant team.

Fast-forward several years, and not only is Iowa no longer the dominant team, Metcalf (with his Iowa style) didn't have the international impact of a Burroughs or Snyder. He plateaued and went out with a whimper instead of a bang. Shit happens. It was tragic for him, of course (as much as we can apply a term like "tragic" to a sport), but it also didn't help the momentum of the HWC or Iowa's NCAA team or the "Iowa Style."

It's now a valid question whether the heir apparent to Tom & Terry should be a Tom & Terry clone--in fact it's probably not even a question at this point. Most agree we need more diversity of style and personality in the room--among both wrestlers and perhaps coaches. God, country, clean living, and Iowa Style? Eh. Show me an NCAA title.

Given that Metcalf is at the end of his competitive career, his style is similar to Brands', and he no longer has the marquee value of a Burroughs or Snyder or even Taylor or Dake, a six-figure job in Ames is a good career move, and a nice nab by Dresser.

Enter Perry, who has a funkier wrestling style and probably a funkier personality than Brands. He's got the NCAA-title cred, the Iowa alumni cred, but he also brings this new, fresh sense that he's an "outsider," he's different, a bit of a rebel, and that's going to shake things up. It also comes at the same time that more money is flowing into the HWC and Iowa's NCAA recruiting is on the upswing. This is a good career move for him and great momentum for both the HWC and the NCAA team.

Could Perry the new heir apparent? Too early to say. But if he succeeds in bringing the HWC back to dominance, if a couple of HWC guys bring back medals in 2020 (cough, Gilman), if he brings in new talent like IMar to the club, and if the NCAA team returns to a 100+ point team (setting aside the larger challenge of dethroning PSU), all that bodes well. His timing is good.

Sorry for the long rant (again).
Amen

Reactions: Bkcntry-Hawk
Well in my opinion Metcalf choose to not try to make the team anymore for worlds etc.
Then Bill Zadick offered him the job at the oly center...So he was working there and getting paid...Dressler comes along and offers Brent more money and Brent wisely takes it. Time will tell us but in the long haul I still Brent will be a Hawkeye coach some day..

I am sure there are benefits of having the Dardanes boys in the room. I'm just saying if the choice was between funding Dardanes vs Metcalf, I think the money is better spent on keeping Metcalf around, even if he is done competing.

That wasn't the choice. 2 of those 3 guys are still wrestling.

Reactions: Gobblin
Let me know if your insider buddy has any gambling tips for the upcoming college football season. I could use a tip or two.
His buddy said Pico was a lock...oops so did I.

I heard the reason Terry is no longer running the HWC is because Tom fired him. Any truth to that?

Last edited:

Ok. So they pulled Brent's funding? Maybe that's what he was referring to. He said Brent said it was out of the blue.

They likely aren't into paying a full time wrestling salary to someone who isn't wrestling.
No doubt, and any Iowa State homer like my buddy always puts the anti Iowa spin on it no matter how hard they try not to. I still think it would be beneficial to hire a few of these guys as administrative assistants like Minnesota does. Basically paid workout partners who do have some administrative duties.

Ok. So they pulled Brent's funding? Maybe that's what he was referring to. He said Brent said it was out of the blue.

Really? It was clear at the time that Brent was focused on creating hunting videos with James Vandenberg, which was totally fine. He didn't hide this, it was all over social media & youtube.

Reactions: Huck
Hey, Tarp - who was coaching the HWC when you were - Mourlam?

Also - re. Mike Duroe: he has been involved with the HWC for many years, but I don't know if he still is. He's a great guy and extremely knowledgeable. He loves the Hawks even though he wrestled at Drake.

Hey, Tarp - who was coaching the HWC when you were - Mourlam?

Also - re. Mike Duroe: he has been involved with the HWC for many years, but I don't know if he still is. He's a great guy and extremely knowledgeable. He loves the Hawks even though he wrestled at Drake.

He was at Senior Nationals running around doing his thing with the HWC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT