ADVERTISEMENT

Who redshirts?

No way Fran plays eleven. This is the most solid 8 he’s ever had and it was proven last year a shorter bench means better results. Luka, CJ, Joey all log 32plus, Connor and JOrdan 28 plus, Jack Patrick Joe T fill in the top 8 and the freshmen have to wait their turn or redshirt. This team is too good and too proven from last year to mess with the lineup. LUka, Joey, CJ are all rated in the top 14 in the league they aren’t coming out but for a breather. Luka is best player in the nation...Joey was third team, led Big in free Throw percentage and had a very good year... CJ was most efficient player in college b-ball,led Big in 3 pt percentage, all freshmen team...Connor lead Nation In assist to turnover ratio, .....Jordan is college b-ball best long range sniper. Those five better play and play a ton! The top 8 will be best we have ever had at owa!

We definitely had success with the core 8 last year but 1. As good as we were we still went 11-9 in conference, its not like we cant get better and 2. We were living on the edge as bringing in Riley Till and even Pemsl could be shaky...was very rough, we could absolutely use more quality depth and finally 3. We lose a few from the Core 8 last year so will have to experiment and dont believe it will be a one for one.

Just because i said up to 11 for a rotation, does not mean overhauling the entire thing. Maybe it ends up somewhere in between like 9 or 10, who knows. But we have an influx of new talent who have played sparingly (Nunge, Pmac) or not at all (Ulis, Murray, Murray, Ogundele and Perkins) so have to believe more than two guys out of above will be added to the consistent rotation at least in some fashion.

Ultimately we are not red-shirting 5 guys, and while the key 6 guys will still get heavy minutes (Joe T less so), the rest of the minutes will be spread out among a few more guys in my opinion. I say Ogundele and Keegan will see the floor consistently, probably between Riley Till (5.1) and Pemsl (12.7) minutes. So, I would be willing to revise my aggressive "11" to "10." I do think we will see 11 prior to the B1G, but could see it tighten up slightly to 10 in conference and tournament play.

Reactions: BBHawk
You know Fran tho. He'll play more guys than he should. He just will.

Our offense will be great. If one of the newbies can take it off the dribble to create and/or play some serious defense, then they will play, as I see that as our only areas of need.

I really hope that 2-3 redshirt. We can use them in 2021 and beyond. That, and Fran feels too strongly that a lot of players earned their right to play. That is his way. He is a players coach. Which is great, but not always a good thing playing too many players. As we have seen in the past...

No way Fran plays eleven. This is the most solid 8 he’s ever had and it was proven last year a shorter bench means better results. Luka, CJ, Joey all log 32plus, Connor and JOrdan 28 plus, Jack Patrick Joe T fill in the top 8 and the freshmen have to wait their turn or redshirt. This team is too good and too proven from last year to mess with the lineup. LUka, Joey, CJ are all rated in the top 14 in the league they aren’t coming out but for a breather. Luka is best player in the nation...Joey was third team, led Big in free Throw percentage and had a very good year... CJ was most efficient player in college b-ball,led Big in 3 pt percentage, all freshmen team...Connor lead Nation In assist to turnover ratio, .....Jordan is college b-ball best long range sniper. Those five better play and play a ton! The top 8 will be best we have ever had at owa!

H...69 raises a good point. I think F Mac is too much a player's coach.

Every member of every team ever understands there will be reserves with little playing time. If they don't they're probably not well suited to team competition.

Not everyone gets to play. If you're one of the freshmen guards, who among the existing roster should sit so you can play?

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
We definitely had success with the core 8 last year but 1. As good as we were we still went 11-9 in conference, its not like we cant get better and 2. We were living on the edge as bringing in Riley Till and even Pemsl could be shaky...was very rough, we could absolutely use more quality depth and finally 3. We lose a few from the Core 8 last year so will have to experiment and dont believe it will be a one for one.

Just because i said up to 11 for a rotation, does not mean overhauling the entire thing. Maybe it ends up somewhere in between like 9 or 10, who knows. But we have an influx of new talent who have played sparingly (Nunge, Pmac) or not at all (Ulis, Murray, Murray, Ogundele and Perkins) so have to believe more than two guys out of above will be added to the consistent rotation at least in some fashion.

Ultimately we are not red-shirting 5 guys, and while the key 6 guys will still get heavy minutes (Joe T less so), the rest of the minutes will be spread out among a few more guys in my opinion. I say Ogundele and Keegan will see the floor consistently, probably between Riley Till (5.1) and Pemsl (12.7) minutes. So, I would be willing to revise my aggressive "11" to "10." I do think we will see 11 prior to the B1G, but could see it tighten up slightly to 10 in conference and tournament play.
I agree with this. IMHO Iowa needs at least 10 players ready to step in, at least 2 deep at every position, in case of injuries, with others who can rip off their redshirts if/when injuries happen. I think the days of redshirting are pretty much over. When Iowa can have the chance to go into the tournament with a decent seed, they need depth in case of injury.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
fran will play 11 , he has in the past.

Fran will play his best guys as much as he can and use reserves to give them a break. Hopefully our bench is deeper so we don’t have to run the starters ragged like we did last season.

I think Ogundele and one of the guards will redshirt. Ahron Ulis might be more ready to play but he would benefit the most by putting another year between him and Toussaint.

but honestly we could see all five play. This season Fran has everything on the line—best team he’s ever had. If a Final Four is in play, this season could be all hands on deck.

the way i look at this year is at least we have more options, remember last year when CJF went down and Austin Ash was pretty high on the bench! No offense to the kid but we have to have better depth than that.

Yep, that’s what happens when you lose three key players 1/3 the way through the season. Love our walk-ons but hopefully they aren’t needed in competitive games. Knock on wood, we’ll have a full roster to lean on this season.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
You want to talk about a team with some quality depth, my freshman year was 1986-87 (Dr Tom's first year), Wow, we were like 12 deep easy. I couldnt name the walk ons/grey shirts...the way it should be :)

Roster

Player
Class Pos Height Summary
Roy Marble
SO G 6-6 14.9 Pts, 5.1 Reb, 2.8 Ast
B.J. Armstrong SO G 6-2 12.4 Pts, 2.5 Reb, 4.2 Ast
Kevin Gamble G 6-5 11.9 Pts, 4.5 Reb, 1.7 Ast
Brad Lohaus SR F 6-11 11.3 Pts, 7.7 Reb, 1.8 Ast
Jeff Moe JR G 6-4 11.1 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 1.2 Ast
Ed Horton SO F 6-8 7.8 Pts, 5.6 Reb, 1.5 Ast
Gerry Wright C 6-7 6.5 Pts, 4.3 Reb, 1.0 Ast
Al Lorenzen JR F 6-8 4.0 Pts, 2.9 Reb, 0.7 Ast
Bill Jones JR C 6-7 3.7 Pts, 2.2 Reb, 1.3 Ast
Kent Hill JR C 6-6 3.6 Pts, 4.0 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Michael Reaves JR G 6-3 2.4 Pts, 0.9 Reb, 0.7 Ast
Michael Morgan JR G 6-3 1.9 Pts, 0.7 Reb, 0.2 Ast
Les Jepsen FR C 7-0 1.0 Pts, 1.1 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Mark Jewell F 6-9 0.9 Pts, 1.3 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Bart Casey 0.5 Pts, 0.4 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Kelly Weslin 0.8 Pts, 0.0 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Michael Jones 1.0 Pts, 0.0 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Steve Lusso 0.0 Pts, 1.0 Reb, 0.0 Ast

This year for all sports is going to be the toughest to predict for things like this, so many unknown aspects and many gyms are facilities aren't available to these young guys entering college. Won't know who can or will have the work ethic to improve and gain the size and weight they need or cardio. All teams will have this issue though. So teams will a lot of experience will be more than likely have more success next year because of the unknown abilities of these in coming players. Iowa is blessed than non of the in coming players are needed for significant minutes, only for depth. I think under normal circumstances all of them may be able to get some minutes. Josh O will likely be needed just due to low numbers in the paint. Ulis and Perkins looks like tough competitors and could push for minutes. But there is starters waiting already. Weiskamp isn't losing minutes. Connor can play all three spots too, so there is 5 guys that have experience at 3 guard/wing spots. Plus Patrick at the three and four too. Depending on his stamina.

I don't think anyone can honestly guess who will red-shirt or not. I think it's gonna be tough for Ulis to not get minutes, even though there is bascially 3 guys on the roster that can play the 1. I would not be surprised to see him beat out the others either. Joe T I like a lot though and Bohannon has a ton of experience, Connor as well. But I think Connor is now done being a point guard at Iowa with the depth now.

Perkins looks like a good option for a back up at the 2. Patrick McCaffery and the twins battling for back up at the 3. And with all of this, you have Connor able to play all three positions. Likely the 6th man.

All in all I think Pat Mac and the twins may be fouced to play the 4 and the best rebounder, defender inside will get the back up at the four.

That's a good....well reasoned post.

While we have the guard court that could be effective in a pressing defense, you need someone on the backend who can be a rim protector. I don’t see us having the front court to stop penetration or the depth to risk additional foul jeopardy there.

While we have the guard court that could be effective in a pressing defense, you need someone on the backend who can be a rim protector. I don’t see us having the front court to stop penetration or the depth to risk additional foul jeopardy there.

Our 3/4 press has always been one of our most effective defenses, including last season. I hope we run it a lot.

Reactions: perryhawk
I don't think it is necessarily how many players McCaffery plays. I just don't care for his "hockey line change" approach he takes at times. He may justifiably believe that his 9th, 10th and 11th players deserve some playing time. I just don't want to see all of them on the floor at the same time.

100% this. I prefer an approach where you have five guys on the floor that get into a good flow. When a couple guys get tired, give them a rest. The remaining three are already warmed up. I think it makes it easier for the guys coming off the bench. I just don't like bringing in five guys cold.

H...69 raises a good point. I think F Mac is too much a player's coach.

Every member of every team ever understands there will be reserves with little playing time. If they don't they're probably not well suited to team competition.

Not everyone gets to play. If you're one of the freshmen guards, who among the existing roster should sit so you can play?

Maybe those not playing defense should sit some. I like Fran as a player's coach. I bet everyone coming in wants to play. I realize we don't have a bunch of available minutes but we could use at least 3 more guys...we don't know about how good they will be as college frosh. We do know if Luka comes back we will have the best team since 87' We should be able to run and press more. Hopefully Perkins Keegan and Ogs are ready...we don't know how good they will be until we play some early games. If Ulis and Perkins earn pt by defense and scoring we will be deep and we will have an attitude of confidence. Loved seeing JT putting in the work also. We have PMac coming so I imagine he will be a positive as the 8th man. Patrick and The Murray brothers are a year ahead of the other frosh as far as working on their game and Patrick being around the program plus being a year older. At any rate we are poised to go deep in The NCAA Tournament.....Go Hawks!!!

Reactions: jasonrann
Maybe those not playing defense should sit some. I like Fran as a player's coach. I bet everyone coming in wants to play. I realize we don't have a bunch of available minutes but we could use at least 3 more guys...we don't know about how good they will be as college frosh. We do know if Luka comes back we will have the best team since 87' We should be able to run and press more. Hopefully Perkins Keegan and Ogs are ready...we don't know how good they will be until we play some early games. If Ulis and Perkins earn pt by defense and scoring we will be deep and we will have an attitude of confidence. Loved seeing JT putting in the work also. We have PMac coming so I imagine he will be a positive as the 8th man. Patrick and The Murray brothers are a year ahead of the other frosh as far as working on their game and Patrick being around the program plus being a year older. At any rate we are poised to go deep in The NCAA Tournament.....Go Hawks!!!

I think there is another benefit to having all these guys coming in that most people aren't talking about yet. Practices are going to be epic.

JBo - Joe T/Ulis
CJ - Perkins
JW - PMac
Connor - Murrays
Luka - Nunge/Ogs

Iron sharpens iron. I think it is going to be extremely competitive. Our starters will be tested every day. This sure isn't to say that practices last year were a cake walk, but with Nunge out, CJ and JW hobbled at different times and JBo only available early in the season, competition this year will be a lot tougher, IMHO.

I think there is another benefit to having all these guys coming in that most people aren't talking about yet. Practices are going to be epic.

JBo - Joe T/Ulis
CJ - Perkins
JW - PMac
Connor - Murrays
Luka - Nunge/Ogs

Iron sharpens iron. I think it is going to be extremely competitive. Our starters will be tested every day. This sure isn't to say that practices last year were a cake walk, but with Nunge out, CJ and JW hobbled at different times and JBo only available early in the season, competition this year will be a lot tougher, IMHO.

Excellent....excellent point. That could be a very big deal.

Ogundele would be a nice weapon to have against thuggish teams. 6'11" and 275 pounds can be useful. Think the Hanson brothers from Slapshot.
I hope your right. It doesn't look like he has the wind or the aggression that a big ten big man needs this year. I hope he really is able to get stronger this summer.

Reactions: BBHawk
I hope your right. It doesn't look like he has the wind or the aggression that a big ten big man needs this year. I hope he really is able to get stronger this summer.
His latest videos, he seems to be taking things a lot more seriously. I think Luka may be on him as well to get in better condition. He probably won't play a lot of minutes anyway, but he's a guy who could give Luka a break, throw a few elbows against MSU and sit down again.

Reactions: kceasthawk
His latest videos, he seems to be taking things a lot more seriously. I think Luka may be on him as well to get in better condition. He probably won't play a lot of minutes anyway, but he's a guy who could give Luka a break, throw a few elbows against MSU and sit down again.
I hope your right. Go Hawks!

The 3/4 court zone press that’s primarily designed to burn some shot clock time is a different animal than an all out man full court press that leaves bigs exposed. Some of our guards could probably run the latter, but I don’t see us with the bigs to implement it.

Reactions: unclesammy
Now that we officially have 6 (PMac) freshman on the roster it will be curious to see who and how many of them are redshirted. I can't imagine Fran will waste a year this season on 2-3 of them with the roster we have in front of them.

My guess would be Ogundele and Kris Murray. From what I've read it seems like Keegan is a little ahead of his brother right now. I think the other three + Patrick can be pretty solid players off the bench who can score.
I believe Ogundele plays. Our center will need some rest and I think it's best to play

Reactions: skydog0784
I think Perkins and Ulis can help the most on D and will get the most run. It is a loaded roster so some talented guys will have to sit. I kinda see a log jam for PMac and the Murray twins next year. Looking forward to see the team coming together.

ADVERTISEMENT