ADVERTISEMENT

Who should trade for Cam Akers?

FAUlty Gator

HR Legend
Oct 27, 2017
Two years after drafting him in the second round, and just eight months after starting him in the Super Bowl, the Rams are prepared to part ways with Cam Akers. The running back was a healthy scratch for Los Angeles' Week 6 game against the Panthers on Sunday, and the team is actively fielding trade offers for the former Florida State standout, per NFL Media, amid his "philosophical and football-related differences" with coach Sean McVay.

Akers' young Rams career has been one of mixed results. After topping 600 rushing yards in a secondary role as a rookie, he tore his Achilles prior to 2021, only to return by Week 18 and serve a prominent role in the postseason. Despite expectations of a larger workload in 2022, he averaged just 3 yards per carry in an inconsistent role during L.A.'s first five games, then was inactive in Week 6 as the Rams improved to 3-3. Still just 23, however, due only $1.9 million on a contract that runs through 2023, he should have a decent market whether cut or dealt.

Will be interesting to hear the rest of the story. McVay coming out so publicly about Akers needing a new team for a fresh start indicates that the relationship has hit a very bumpy road.

Reactions: noleclone2
I've heard that as a likely destination. Surely that wouldn't be an even trade?

What exactly are "philosophical differences" in football?
They rushed him back from injuries. They also rotate him in the dumbest way possible.

Sean McVay pushed Gurley when he was having knee issues and ended his career.

Last edited:
@OrlandNole i don’t think it’s even either. But both have problems staying healthy. Rams want Akers gone, Panthers need to unload McCaffery’s contract. Rams could use him asap if he stays healthy do they may be willing to pay.

I've heard that as a likely destination. Surely that wouldn't be an even trade?

What exactly are "philosophical differences" in football?
The rams have a front office philosophy of ‘f*ck them draft picks’, so they would offer more and it will cost more just to get past what CMC is worth in jersey sales.

Panthers should swap him for McCaffrey.
The rams have a front office philosophy of ‘f*ck them draft picks’, so they would offer more and it will cost more just to get past what CMC is worth in jersey sales.
@OrlandNole i don’t think it’s even either. But both have problems staying healthy. Rams want Akers gone, Panthers need to unload McCaffery’s contract. Rams could use him asap if he stays healthy do they may be willing to pay.
McCaffrey along with an OL getting healthy, makes Rams an instant contender once again.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
Send him here to Tampa. Lenny will be gone once Tommy retires and Akers can be the feature back then.

my guess is McCaffrey goes to the chiefs or bills. both contenders who could offer up a young rb plus draft picks in return.

the dark horse is the falcons. they should be 4-2 if they didn’t get the tom brady treatment in week 5. it would give them a pretty dynamic offense with Patterson and McCaffrey’s flexibility.

My third round fantasy draft!!! Between him and Aaron Rodgers, I am killing it in my league this year! My first round pick Kamara also doing great with only 1/3 of season missed so far.

i don’t think akers will generate much interest. he’s not been the same guy since that achilles injury. my guess is he ends up in miami for a later round pick

The team that makes the most sense for McCaffrey is the Niners. Starter down. No more need to put Deebo back there. He played at Stanford.

Although he would help others as well.

i could see that. shanahan doesn’t typically spend money on rbs but maybe he bucks the trend.

My third round fantasy draft!!! Between him and Aaron Rodgers, I am killing it in my league this year! My first round pick Kamara also doing great with only 1/3 of season missed so far.
My two RBs are Jonathan Taylor and Cam Akers. :(

My 3rd RB is Antonio Gibson, who was cool when the other RB was out because he got shot. Now that he's back, Gibson's production looks to be halved.

Reactions: noleclone2

200w.gif

Did you know that Christian’s mother played soccer at Stanford?

True story.

I still have PTSD from CMC at the Rose Bowl 🤬

I have Eli Mitchell (IR) and Jeff Wilson on my fantasy team, so this trade renders them useless (until CMC gets hurt again).

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
I still have PTSD from CMC at the Rose Bowl 🤬

I have Eli Mitchell (IR) and Jeff Wilson on my fantasy team, so this trade renders them useless (until CMC gets hurt again).
Me too. Luckily I picked up Latavious Murray and Gordon has gone all Gordon in Denver.

ADVERTISEMENT