ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the 4th playoff team? (Assuming LSU/ OSU/ Clemson are locks)

In that scenario, how bad would Oregon’s loss to auburn look? And yet, there is clamoring for Oregon?

First of all, it was in the 1st game of the year. So if Oregon wins out, they'll be on a 12 game winning streak. Their schedule is likely to be ranked a lot higher than Alabama's (if Utah's a one-loss team when they play in the championship game). Plus they'll have an extra win.

I'm not clamoring for either team. I've not been overly impressed by Alabama this year. Great offense (assuming Tua stays healthy, which isn't guaranteed). The defense is sketchy. They seem more like OU teams of recent vintage. I think there's a decent chance they lose another when they play @ Auburn.

I don't see the Ducks as a juggernaut, either. But 12 wins in a row would be quite compelling to the selection committee.

I think the Championship is up for grabs this year. OSU, LSU, Clemson, UGA, Bama, OU, Oregon and possibly Utah. all have what it takes to make it to the playoffs. After that, it's anyone's guess. As I've said before, there's a lot of football left and some of this will sort itself out.

Resumes and SOS are going to be important.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
First of all, it was in the 1st game of the year. So if Oregon wins out, they'll be on a 12 game winning streak. Their schedule is likely to be ranked a lot higher than Alabama's (if Utah's a one-loss team when they play in the championship game). Plus they'll have an extra win.

I'm not clamoring for either team. I've not been overly impressed by Alabama this year. Great offense (assuming Tua stays healthy, which isn't guaranteed). The defense is sketchy. They seem more like OU teams of recent vintage. I think there's a decent chance they lose another when they play @ Auburn.

I don't see the Ducks as a juggernaut, either. But 12 wins in a row would be quite compelling to the selection committee.

I think the Championship is up for grabs this year. OSU, LSU, Clemson, UGA, Bama, OU, Oregon and possibly Utah. all have what it takes to make it to the playoffs. After that, it's anyone's guess. As I've said before, there's a lot of football left and some of this will sort itself out.

Resumes and SOS are going to be important.
Things will sort themselves out but I will point out that it was also the first game of the year for Auburn and every other team in the country had a first game of the year so that is irrelevant. And the PAC12 just isn't worthy. Utah got its ass POUNDED by Washington, and Washington is just so so. The PAC12 is just full of also rans on the level of my beloved Hawkeyes. We will just have to see!

Because they're only getting the benefit of being Alabama. They had their shot to take down LSU. Especially if LSU gets into the playoff. Like I said earlier, if their best win right now is a loss, then no.

If Minnesota or Baylor win out they should go in over Alabama.

OK...and if Minnesota wins out, does that knock out OSU? Or do you let OSU stay in there with that loss?

Things will sort themselves out but I will point out that it was also the first game of the year for Auburn and every other team in the country had a first game of the year so that is irrelevant. And the PAC12 just isn't worthy. Utah got its ass POUNDED by Washington, and Washington is just so so. The PAC12 is just full of also rans on the level of my beloved Hawkeyes. We will just have to see!

I don't think the Pac 12 is all that great either. I just don't think Alabama will have earned the right to go. To me, there is a very likely scenario where two teams from the SEC get in (assuming no major upsets between now and the very end of the season). UGA beating LSU in the SEC championship game. At that point, I think it's Ohio State, UGA, LSU and Clemson. I would have no issue with that. Clemson's schedule is pretty crappy, but they will be undefeated (13-0) with two victories over SEC schools. And they've been on fire since the UNC game. Not saying it's totally fair, but I don't see a one-loss team hopping them as long as they keep winning big.

College football is a crazy sport and there's a very good chance the landscape will look entirely different 4 or 5 weeks from now.

So what?
It is what it is....who knew that in July?
How come Minnesota and Baylor don't get that kind of benefit? Yet people rip on them for having a soft schedule. They didn't know how their opponents would be in july either. They have a combined zero losses. Alabama has 1. Alabama should be behind Minnesota and Baylor right now.

How come Minnesota and Baylor don't get that kind of benefit? Yet people rip on them for having a soft schedule. They didn't know how their opponents would be in july either. They have a combined zero losses. Alabama has 1. Alabama should be behind Minnesota and Baylor right now.
Am I disagreeing? All I am saying is that we all need to let the schedule play itself out....all 12-13 ball games before a decision should be made of the Final 4 teams.
This week #6, 7 and 8 bullshit rating is all nothing more than beer talk......let the season play itself out.

Am I disagreeing? All I am saying is that we all need to let the schedule play itself out....all 12-13 ball games before a decision should be made of the Final 4 teams.
This week #6, 7 and 8 bullshit rating is all nothing more than beer talk......let the season play itself out.
We're addicts and we need our weekly fix.

The playoffs are not a lifetime achievement award. It's a reflection of the play for that particular year. Bama has zero top 25 wins. Their best win right now would be 6-3 aTm. Otherwise in conference they've beaten 4-6 South Carolina, 4-6 Ole Miss, 5-5 Tenn and 2-8 Arkansas. Their OOC opponents have been Duke, New Mexico State and Southern Mississippi. They don't deserve the love being thrown their way.

Don't forget powerhouse Western Carolina.

Dark horse: Auburn wins out and becomes the 1st 2-loss team to make the playoff with wins over UGA, Bama and Oregon. And no conference championship, either.

Unlikely to happen (they'd need a lot to go their way), but it's a possibility.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
We're addicts and we need our weekly fix.
EXACTLY!
It is all a money grab.....more "interest"..more programming....more ad dollars....more talking heads.....and it really makes no difference until the entire regular season and conference championship games are played....
I really am opposed to having any more than 3 season CFP polls.....do one about the 6th week of the season....one the 10th week and one after the conference championships are played...and the last one determines the 4 play off teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT