ADVERTISEMENT

Who will win the BIG East

Even with this being Ryan Day's first year, the expectations are the same and We own the skunkweasels and Kittie Lions have to come to Columbus, if OSU plays to their ablilties, Indy should be the destination on the first weekend in December.

My expected order of finish in the East:

8-1 Michigan (champ by beating OSU head to head)
8-1 OSU
7-2 Michigan State
5-4 Penn St.
4-5 Maryland
3-6 Indiana
1-8 Rutgers

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
My expected order of finish in the East:

8-1 Michigan (champ by beating OSU head to head)
8-1 OSU
7-2 Michigan State
5-4 Penn St.
4-5 Maryland
3-6 Indiana
1-8 Rutgers

With the schedule they have, 7-2 would be extremely impressive for a Michigan St team that wasn't all that impressive last year.

I agree with the OP that things could not possibly be setup better for Michigan this year, and if they can't win the East then we may never see it.

With the schedule they have, 7-2 would be extremely impressive for a Michigan St team that wasn't all that impressive last year.

I agree with the OP that things could not possibly be setup better for Michigan this year, and if they can't win the East then we may never see it.

I concur, MSU was in a bad spot last year with the Lewereke injury and it just snow-balled from there. Their front 7 on the defensive side might be the best in the conference and if the offense returns this season, they could be a dark horse to win that division IMO. I think Penn state is the program that most resembles last year's MSU, I could see them going 4-5 in conference honestly.

Reactions: Wadzinator
Until proven otherwise, I'll go with Ohio State.

Probably the right answer. Although if Michigan doesn't win this year, not sure when it happens. Senior QB, lots of returning players, play OSU at home. Michigan's crossovers seem a bit easier than OSU's, as Wolverines do get Illinois in addition to Iowa and Wisconsin. OSU gets Nebraska, Wisconsin and Northwestern. OSU will still be favored in all the crossovers, just they don't get the automatic W in Illinois.

Wow Wisconsin gets Michigan, MSU and OSU in crossovers.

Probably the right answer. Although if Michigan doesn't win this year, not sure when it happens. Senior QB, lots of returning players, play OSU at home. Michigan's crossovers seem a bit easier than OSU's, as Wolverines do get Illinois in addition to Iowa and Wisconsin. OSU gets Nebraska, Wisconsin and Northwestern. OSU will still be favored in all the crossovers, just they don't get the automatic W in Illinois.

Wow Wisconsin gets Michigan, MSU and OSU in crossovers.

Ohio State has won seven in a row over Michigan. Since 2001, Ohio State is 16-2 vs. Michigan.

I agree this has to be the year if you're a Michigan fan.

But winning at Penn State and Wisconsin won't be easy. They get Notre Dame at home in addition to Iowa. None of those games are an automatic W.

Ohio State has won seven in a row over Michigan. Since 2001, Ohio State is 16-2 vs. Michigan.

But winning at Penn State and Wisconsin won't be easy. They get Notre Dame at home in addition to Iowa. None of those games are an automatic W.

I expect Wisconsin and Penn State to be down a bit this year, maybe more than a step or two, but they'll still be tough, well-coached teams, no doubt. If Harbaugh doesn't come through this year, I start to wonder how hot his seat will be after that? That fan-base isn't going to twiddle their thumbs much longer, even though it's Jim.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

Agreed. I think it's a reasonable chance that every Big 10 team has at least 2 losses. The only 2 really bad teams in the league are Rutgers and Illinois. Rest of the teams have at least some talent/ability. Will be an interesting season.

If Harbaugh doesn't come through this year, I start to wonder how hot his seat will be after that? That fan-base isn't going to twiddle their thumbs much longer, even though it's Jim.

The problem with Michigan is the same problem that Nebraska could have - both schools are all-in 100% with their current head coach; every single fan of both schools is convinced they have the absolute perfect coach for the job of taking them back to the promised land, so if he don't pan out.......where the heck do you go from there?

I am not sure what to make of OSU this year. They are loaded with talent as usual-nine 5 * and 47 4* players on their roster. QB is a question. Yes, Justin Fields will be the starter and he was the best player at his position in his HS class. Their backups are sketchy at best-a 5th year backup transfer from WVU and a grad transfer backup from Kentucky. If anything happens to Fields, they could be in big trouble. I also question his character and toughness.
If MSU can find anything resembling a consistent offense, they may be the favorite. I don't believe in boogerman and I don't think Pedo St has all their bases covered.
I would be shocked if the B1G has a playoff rep this year.

I am not sure what to make of OSU this year. They are loaded with talent as usual-nine 5 * and 47 4* players on their roster. QB is a question. Yes, Justin Fields will be the starter and he was the best player at his position in his HS class. Their backups are sketchy at best-a 5th year backup transfer from WVU and a grad transfer backup from Kentucky. If anything happens to Fields, they could be in big trouble. I also question his character and toughness.
If MSU can find anything resembling a consistent offense, they may be the favorite. I don't believe in boogerman and I don't think Pedo St has all their bases covered.
I would be shocked if the B1G has a playoff rep this year.
Think you are correct about OSU. They might be the biggest unknown in all of CF. First few weeks will be telling especially with Fields. They have the most talent - on paper - in the league but how will Day react under extreme pressure ? They could very well not only win the B1G again but also the playoffs in January. Then again - with all of the unknowns - fall flat on their faces.

The problem with Michigan is the same problem that Nebraska could have - both schools are all-in 100% with their current head coach; every single fan of both schools is convinced they have the absolute perfect coach for the job of taking them back to the promised land, so if he don't pan out.......where the heck do you go from there?
To hell, most likely.....

And for Nebraska that wouldn't be a long trip at all.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Not Michigan State. That’s the hardest schedule in the league.
That's interesting ... because, without looking at schedule and just looking at returning players ... I would have said Michigan or Michigan State. But yeah ... MSU's schedule does them no favors.

Based on past precedent ... until somebody usurps them ... it's hard to not choose OSU. Of course, part of what powered their O last year was a bunch of veteran senior WRs. The Buckeyes might have a bunch of talent at wideout ... but lack of experience tends to impact consistency too.

As for PSU ... I'm just not sold on them. They lost so many guys to graduation and "free agency" ... something is going on there that is beyond me. All I know is that they've seemingly had issues beating top-rated opponents. McSorley won a lot of games for them over the past 2 years ... including their last 2 games against the Hawks. Without question, Franklin has been recruiting some fine talent into their program ... however, I don't see them contending next year.

I think that's much more true with regard to Nebraska, though obviously that could change with a couple bad seasons, but right now, MANY Michigan fans are having second thoughts about JH, and some are way beyond merely having second thoughts. If Michigan ends up with another 10-3 season and a loss to Ohio State, the fans are going to be VERY vocal about it.

Think you are correct about OSU. They might be the biggest unknown in all of CF. First few weeks will be telling especially with Fields. They have the most talent - on paper - in the league but how will Day react under extreme pressure ? They could very well not only win the B1G again but also the playoffs in January. Then again - with all of the unknowns - fall flat on their faces.

From a Buckeye fan -- very fair assessment, IMO. There's enough talent there to win probably six or seven games just on massive talent disparity alone, but against the rest of the field, it's going to take top coaching and great QB play.

I think that's much more true with regard to Nebraska, though obviously that could change with a couple bad seasons, but right now, MANY Michigan fans are having second thoughts about JH, and some are way beyond merely having second thoughts. If Michigan ends up with another 10-3 season and a loss to Ohio State, the fans are going to be VERY vocal about it.

But do you fire a nine or ten win coach and try for something better, or bide your time and look to take advantage of another team falling off.

Cutting bait and getting the next most shiny object doesn’t always work - ask Nebraska.

Sometimes patience is the key.

Michigan v Iowa. Rematch. We will get through the gauntlet which will end up top 15 in the country (SOS) with 2 losses. ISU is beyond all in and off a bye week. Hate losing to them but most important game in their century. And will lose at Michigan. I think we win the rest.

A fair assessment, of OSU, but I think Ryan Day passed the pressure test last year while Urbs was suspended, having to take over the program with only a few weeks to go before the season started and with all the crap going on around the program with Zach Smith, he did a hell of a job going 3-0 and I still say the team played better while he was at the helm, than they did when Urban came back. Also Ryan Day is absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail as we currently have the 2nd ranked class for 2020 behind Clemson, this may sound crazy, but I think he is a better recruiter than Urban was, although it remains to be seen what he does as a coach, we have not skipped a beat in recruiting..

I think the plan is to use JK Dobbins and the running game a little more until Fields gets comfortable in the offense with the reads and check downs, but I think Day is going to use him like he did JT and sprinkle in a little of what he did with Haskins last year as Fields has a much better arm than JT. The wide outs will be fine as KJ Hill was a stater last year and Victor and Mack played a lot last year as well. Chris Olave also came on strong at the end of last year and watch out for in coming freshman Garrett Wilson, I will not be surprised if he isn't the Freshman of the year in the BIG.

Another big question is the Defense...All I'm going to say is anything will be better than the crap we witnessed last year...smh

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT