ADVERTISEMENT

Who wins the B1G East or who do you root for in '16?

cidsports

HB King
The Big Ten landscape West vs. East in Indianapolis hits Year 2 in 2016. It seems like years, since the Legends vs. Leaders, due to Iowa's breakout 2015 season?

Who do you like or who do you root for in 2016 in B1G East?

I for one, loved the first year of the B1G East, though the potential national media lovefest of the return of the B1G 2 can be nauseating, quite frankly.

Why did I love it ... the relevance of Iowa again!

It was great to see Michigan pound Northwestern in Ann Arbor. Then, the turnaround for Northwestern, in Evanston, Iowa rolled the Wildcats.

Pat Fitzgerald rebounded well in route to a 10-3 season though. The Wildcats could surprise in 2016, with improved defense and a serviceable offense. But, time to get back to the B1G East discussion.

Jake Rudock at Michigan was entertaining last year. However, MSU beating Michigan and OSU, both on the road was outstanding. The B1G 2 didn't quite get there in 2015. Here's to a repeat.

Since the B1G East was formed, with Urban in Columbus and Harbaugh in Ann Arbor, I have become a closet Mark Dantonio fan. I didn't like the finale in the Big Ten Championship, but I was glad it was Iowa vs. MSU, instead of one of the B1G 2.

Who leads in 2016 in the East?

Can MSU stay on top for another year?

They have been impressive 5 out of 6 years, with 2012 the outlier.

Least favorite program in B1G: it is Penn State now. The fan base, scandal and frankly the overhype of Coach Franklin, who appears to lack discpline in his sideline work?

I had respect at one time for Joe Pa and Penn State. After all, they were a common opponent in the OOC, when I became a regular Hawkeye fan, as Bob Commings took over for FXL.

The John Cappeletti story of my youth was moving. The story today in Happy Valley gives one reason to root for Indiana, Maryland and Rutgers for a day in the Autumn.

By the way, Iowa opens for the first time ever a game at Rutgers, a B1G game at that? Who would have ever thought that in the Big Ten at one time?

Missouri was never coming to the B1G, with the history of slavery within the State. I recently heard a person talk of the history about Missouri's affinity for slavery in the past.

Karma, no, but it makes sense, with the Big Ten's history and how the 14 teams are now arranged.

Not having Indiana or Maryland on schedule for awhile is okay.

Neither are programs that are must games at either location. I would rather see a game of hoops against either team quite frankly.

However, watching them maybe knock off someone else may provide some entertainment, though I prefer Purdue over IU. Maybe, it is that soft spot for my first Hawkeye game ever was on the road at West Lafayette during FXL era.

Yes, it is Sunday in July.

We are now less than 50 days to kickoff of the 2016 season. I had a horrible night of sleep and one of my flat-screen TVs is toast this morning.

Malik-McDowell-1280.jpg

1. MSU - I hope the Spartans win the East. Mostly, because I hope Iowa gets a rematch to last season's championship game. The early match between Wisconsin-MSU is a huge game. Most will project the B1G 2 ahead of the Spartans, but UW, NW, Michigan and OSU all go to East Lansing in 2016. The Spatans open November in Champaign.

OSU hosts Michigan in the B1G game in 2016. The Buckeyes have a lot of rebuilding or reloading to do, with only 6 starters back.

OSU at Wisconsin on October 15th will be a huge game for the B1G West race. Iowa will host Badgers the following week and Iowa hasn't won at Kinnick in the series, since 2008.

By the way, the Buckeyes host Northwestern and Nebraska in back to back games to close October and open November in 2016. B1G West pride or not?

Michigan opens October at home against Wisconsin for fifth straight home game for Harbaugh in Year 2. Does Harbaugh pull a Bob Stoops as a sophomore coach at his alma mater?

I personally hope not. Heck, could this be Stoops year in 2016?

Michigan hosts Illinois for HC. MSU has Northwestern and OSU has Rutgers for the B1G celebration in 2016.

PSU welcomes Minnesota to Happy Valley to kickoff October. They close October at Purdue, before opening November with the Hawkeyes at Beaver Stadium.

Indiana enters the 6th season under Kevin Wilson, coming off first bowl season and only 3rd, since 1993, I believe. No Hawkeyes this season, but Nebraska is October 15th for HC. At Northwestern the following week and as usual, the Hoosiers close out the season with Purdue in Bloomington.

The 5/4 schedule begins in the Big Ten in 2016, with the East getting 2 of 3 crossover games at home.

Maryland opens the Big Ten season in October coming off a bye week with a Homecoming Game against Purdue. The DJ Durkin era begins, after one season as Michigan's DC.

Minnesota arrives October 15th and the Terrapins play at Nebraska ahead of Iowa's Black Friday game. The Huskers don't get a bye week ahead of Iowa this season.

Rutgers first meeting ever against Iowa opens the 2016 Big Ten season for both programs. The Chris Ash era begins in New Brunswick with a road trip to Washington on September 3rd.

Ash is 4-4 as an full time assistant per Phil Steele, while at OSU and at ISU. He was on ISU staff in 2002.

635846525767223238-ASh.jpg

After Iowa, Rutgers gets back to back games vs. B1G 2 with at Ohio State, then home against Michigan. Illinois is next for HC, then at Minnesota before the Scarlet Knights bye week.

The 2016 season does have some outstanding crossover games to look forward to and the Big Ten race looks pretty open in both the East and ultimately, in the West, as well.

Go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News