ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you pick for PG??

hawkeyeguy69

HR All-American
Oct 1, 2001
Does anyone know if any of these guys have visits scheduled??

I like all of these guards. They all have some toughness to them as a similar trait. But they all offer something else to their game.

I think my pick maybe be Collins. He keeps that St Louis pipeline open. And that's a fairly neutral city collegiatewise. With a lot of High D1 talent every year.

Plus he has played hurt this last year, and still has a good game. Could he step it up once fully healthy? Maybe...?

If Collins is a no, then give me the speedy Toussaint AND the deep shooter Greenlee. If he can shoot, he can play both the 1 & 2. That would good to have!

Really tho, this Hawk fan would be happy with any or a couple of these guys.

Here is some comments from Hawk Central:
Toussaint might be the quickest. He's got a slick handle and crossover, an effective floater and good body control inside. The biggest thing that jumped out to me was his left hand. He's a righty, but I swear he's close to ambidextrous or bat lefty when he played baseball as a kid, because he loses nothing when switching to his left. Whether it's dribbling or finishing, Toussaint is good from either side.

Collins might be the smoothest. I feel like the Jackson 5's "Dancing Machine" needs to be on in the background when he plays. He just makes the game look so natural, so easy. He's also a pass-first point guard who's projected to finish among the top-five assist leaders of all time in Missouri prep history. His fastbreak passes are pinpoint. His no-look bounce passes to bigs inside or slashing wings are excellent.

Greenlee might be the best scorer. He's just got natural scoring abilities from 2 to 22 feet. Well, maybe 24 or 25 feet; he's been known to pull up from pretty far. His long-range shot is effective and he can drain it from anywhere. He's got a nice stop-and-pop in the midrange to go along with a floater. And his 6-3 length helps him finish among the trees inside. He absorbs contact well on drives to the basket.

Link

Last edited:
From the writeup information given, Toussaint looks like the guy I'd pick. Give me an assist guy over a scorer, especially early in their career.

I think I am on board with the OP....after watching limited video of each (so I’m an expert now) I think the Collins kid would be my pick. I am guessing he has the most complete game....but I think all three could be contributors.

I like all of these guards. They all have some toughness to them as a similar trait. But they all offer something else to their game.

I think my pick maybe be Collins. He keeps that St Louis pipeline open. And that's a fairly neutral city collegiatewise. With a lot of High D1 talent every year.

Plus he has played hurt this last year, and still has a good game. Could he step it up once fully healthy? Maybe...?

If Collins is a no, then give me the speedy Toussaint AND the deep shooter Greenlee. If he can shoot, he can play both the 1 & 2. That would good to have!

Really tho, this Hawk fan would be happy with any or a couple of these guys.

Here is some comments from Hawk Central:
Toussaint might be the quickest. He's got a slick handle and crossover, an effective floater and good body control inside. The biggest thing that jumped out to me was his left hand. He's a righty, but I swear he's close to ambidextrous or bat lefty when he played baseball as a kid, because he loses nothing when switching to his left. Whether it's dribbling or finishing, Toussaint is good from either side.

Collins might be the smoothest. I feel like the Jackson 5's "Dancing Machine" needs to be on in the background when he plays. He just makes the game look so natural, so easy. He's also a pass-first point guard who's projected to finish among the top-five assist leaders of all time in Missouri prep history. His fastbreak passes are pinpoint. His no-look bounce passes to bigs inside or slashing wings are excellent.

Greenlee might be the best scorer. He's just got natural scoring abilities from 2 to 22 feet. Well, maybe 24 or 25 feet; he's been known to pull up from pretty far. His long-range shot is effective and he can drain it from anywhere. He's got a nice stop-and-pop in the midrange to go along with a floater. And his 6-3 length helps him finish among the trees inside. He absorbs contact well on drives to the basket.

Link
I definitely want the best one

Reactions: Fan In Black
Do we have a legit shot at any of them is my question

Good question. I would say absolutely. Especially if we can get an official visit. Which I believe we have at least one of them planning doing an official...

That and We are definitely the best offer for all 3. That noted, all 3 have a lot off offers... Which is a good thing, as far as whether they have the talent to play or not. One doesn't get a lot of offers without having some game.

Watched several videos of Greenlee today. He was more of a wing than point, but has great range from outside. I did see him penetrate the lane and scored with contact. Solid player in my opinion. Not a true point in the sense of Toussaint or Collins but I like his size,

Reactions: Fan In Black
The last of the 3, Joe Toussaint has set an official visit. We will have all 3 here in a matter of 3 weeks. I would think we should have one (or More) by the middle of September...

I am kind of hoping we take two... But one would be great!

Each of these three has multiple offers. Although not P5 there are some good basketball schools... As another poster mentioned, P5 offers are not the same in basketball as football...

Can anyone go back and find order of scholarship offers for Tyler Ulis? My recollection is that Iowa was the first major offer he had (and it came at a time when many posters here were fretting that he was too small for the B1G).

Point being that Iowa staff has had some success identifying talent before other P5 schools. Here’s hoping that is the case here.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Here's my take...

My preferences based only on videos & write-ups...
1. Toussaint (exactly the type of player this club needs)
2. Collins
3. Greenlee

What I view as the staff's priorities based mainly on the order of visits (which I think in these cases the IA staff dictated as we're their top offers)...
1. Toussaint
2. Greenlee
3. Collins

It seems they're making Toussaint the top priority having him in the same weekend as Jackson-Davis and Patrick's official (although he'll probably do un-officials each weekend).

I have no visibility into recruiting tactics but I speculate they'll diplomatically tell Toussaint that they're taking only 1 PG and the first one that accepts after their official visit gets it, you have one week until the next PG recruit's official visit. Rinse and repeat for the Greenlee & then Collins visits.

My prediction - Toussaint commits after his visit prior to Greenlee provided his visit goes well, he meshes with the other players, and receives favorable reviews in pick up games, etc. And they only take one PG for 2019. Take it from a guy who has absolutely no inside info or real knowledge of the intricacies of recruiting.

Last edited:
I have felt since I 1st heard his name and game that Toussaint is our guy.

I have felt since I 1st heard his name and game that Toussaint is our guy.

Do you mean "our guy" from the coaching staff's perspective as top priority only or that the feeling is mutual and you think it looks favorable for Toussaint becoming a Hawk?

Do you mean "our guy" from the coaching staff's perspective as top priority only or that the feeling is mutual and you think it looks favorable for Toussaint becoming a Hawk?

I have felt that he is our top priority. I hope he adores Iowa and commits on his visit.

From what I've seen and heard about, of those three, I'd take Toussaint first. I think all would be useful, but he seems to check the blocks that Iowa needs the most.

Matthew Bain said on the Register's FB Live recruiting show today that we'll have our PG (whoever he is) by the end of September. Bain said Collins and Greenlee are both Iowa leans, and Toussaint is getting heavy interest from East Coast schools including Boston College, but the fact that he's taking an official to Iowa is a good sign for the Hawks. Not an earth-shattering revelation, but its good to hear it from someone who has his ear to the ground on this stuff.

Matthew Bain said on the Register's FB Live recruiting show today that we'll have our PG (whoever he is) by the end of September. Bain said Collins and Greenlee are both Iowa leans, and Toussaint is getting heavy interest from East Coast schools including Boston College, but the fact that he's taking an official to Iowa is a good sign for the Hawks. Not an earth-shattering revelation, but its good to hear it from someone who has his ear to the ground on this stuff.
Thanks for the info. It’s nice to feel confident that we’ll get at least ONE of the three

ADVERTISEMENT