ADVERTISEMENT

Whoa. Steveson coming back next year?

To actually read this would be something he would have to run by Vince McMahon and the WWE, for an actual College competing athlete it's absurd.

I’ll never be comfortable with any link between college wrestling and WWE and especially Vince Mcmahon

WWE is entertainment for dummies that undermines real wrestling in my view….. I’m growing more accustomed to the MMA connection at least those athletes are really competing in a combat sport not following a script in a silly sideshow

Just a boomer take nobody probably wants but I’m gonna share anyway 😎

Goofs still suck and he already milked everyone for a farewell year so if he does it he can just walk off the mat vs attention whoring.
Fellas…. People can change their minds.

Someone around here said his recent fake wrestling event didn’t go over well with discerning fans of that particular brand of theater.

Maybe he decided to get out of that contract and do Shakespeare or MMA.

I’ll never be comfortable with any link between college wrestling and WWE and especially Vince Mcmahon

WWE is entertainment for dummies that undermines real wrestling in my view….. I’m growing more accustomed to the MMA connection at least those athletes are really competing in a combat sport not following a script in a silly sideshow

Just a boomer take nobody probably wants but I’m gonna share anyway 😎
Me too. But explaining that to die hard theater fans is almost like trying to convince a child that there’s no Santa Claus.

Hmmm, Just a guess, but could he be double dipping? With NIL $$$$ and the pro wrestling crap $$$$. He receives all the free exposure from NCAA matches. Not sure if there are even any requirements for NCAA athletes anymore? Do you even have to be a student? Maintain a certain work load, grade point average etc....?

So why in hell not??? Show up when you want, wrestle, go back to whatever it is you are doing. Make a bunch of cash, laugh a lot, life is good!!!!

I’d rather see him compete in another Olympics personally.
At this point in time, it doesn't help his brand. He comes back to Minnesota he is about as much of a lock as it gets to win. He then cements his legacy as a 3x Undefeated NCAA Champ having also been undefeated his last 4 years of wrestling. Meanwhile, Internationally, he is the defending Olympic Champ. Winning a World Title doesn't do much to add to his cache, while losing could do some damage. Make no mistake there ARE guys Internationally that he can lose to. It's not like he waltzed through the Olympics.

Now, if WWE falls through, you may see him back Internationally. But, for now, it just doesn't make any sense for his brand...

At this point in time, it doesn't help his brand. He comes back to Minnesota he is about as much of a lock as it gets to win. He then cements his legacy as a 3x Undefeated NCAA Champ having also been undefeated his last 4 years of wrestling. Meanwhile, Internationally, he is the defending Olympic Champ. Winning a World Title doesn't do much to add to his cache, while losing could do some damage. Make no mistake there ARE guys Internationally that he can lose to. It's not like he waltzed through the Olympics.

Now, if WWE falls through, you may see him back Internationally. But, for now, it just doesn't make any sense for his brand...
**** his brand….. helping the US win the team title should be motivation enough

Do the WWE celebs even have a brand to worry about? Those fans don’t seem too discerning about …. well anything…. he comes in the ring waving a flag wearing red white and blue….. those mouth breathers will go insane

I enjoyed his final tour last season…at Carver, at NCAA’s…shoes on the mat. He’s gonna have to go Jack Nicholson in the shining to get me excited about another victory lap….heeere’s Gable!

Reactions: ping72 and T8KUDWN

I’m not sure if he’s got his “brand,” figured out yet.

WWE might want him to pump iron for a year and maybe gobble, “supplements,” in order to fill that oversized fantasy role.

GS may have seen what he needed to see of WWE to realize it’s not his thing currently. The kid might want to actually compete rather than act while he still can.

and all is sailing along just fine and then ...KAPOW...a twist , a turn, a 285 lb opponent slips and Steveson ends up with a blown out knee or torn bicep or whatever happens in the toughest sport we love.... hopefully it doesn't happen but WWE has to be looking at protecting its investment and i am sure they are readying him for his big push... just a thought

Do the WWE celebs even have a brand to worry about? Those fans don’t seem too discerning about …. well anything…. he comes in the ring waving a flag wearing red white and blue….. those mouth breathers will go insane
So, YOU decide what his motivations should be? Possible millions of dollars in earnings or go help the US win a team title at an even that we can't even get a few thousand fans in the seats EVEN IN IOWA? Come on now....

Admittedly, looking at it as JUST a fan of "real" wrestling, I selfishly would like to see him continue wrestling. However, I COMPLETELY understand why he would take this opportunity and run with it as quick and as long as he can. Hell, he still gave Minnesota 4 years. Cejudo won his Olympic Gold and IMMEDIATELY capitalized on it BARELY giving wrestling another thought(other than the last minute comeback where he lost to Simmons at the Trials).

Brutal Hypothetical - he's always had respect for CHA, and after his send off from the hawk fans last year, what if he wants a change of scenery and desires to fulfill his destiny as a Hawk?

Personally, I'd see what Tony thought about taking a medical to make sure whatever was ailing him gets fully healed :).

Reactions: el dub

His “brand”? What about his “desires”? Which is more important?

That’s why I said personally. I recognize it’s not what would make him the most money. But as a wrestling fan, I’d love to see him compete in freestyle again on the biggest stage.

And for a 21 year old in his first senior world/olympic tournament, and at heavyweight too, he pretty much waltzed through his bracket.

Hmmm, Just a guess, but could he be double dipping? With NIL $$$$ and the pro wrestling crap $$$$. He receives all the free exposure from NCAA matches.

Yes, he was paid big $$$ by WWE last year while he wrestled for the Gophers. And, likely got some NIL money, too.

If he goes back to Minnesota, he would likely enroll second semester, take on-line classes, wrestler some home duals, win the Big Ten, the NCAA, and the Hodge again.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
That’s why I said personally. I recognize it’s not what would make him the most money. But as a wrestling fan, I’d love to see him compete in freestyle again on the biggest stage.

And for a 21 year old in his first senior world/olympic tournament, and at heavyweight too, he pretty much waltzed through his bracket.
Winning the Gold Medal match in the final seconds when the official stood the two up very quickly (some would say incorrectly so) after the first takedown, is hardly waltzing through the bracket/tournament. And please don't try to infer that I don't think he's great. Of course he is.

Do the WWE celebs even have a brand to worry about? Those fans don’t seem too discerning about …. well anything…. he comes in the ring waving a flag wearing
So, YOU decide what his motivations should be? Possible millions of dollars in earnings or go help the US win a team title at an even that we can't even get a few thousand fans in the seats EVEN IN IOWA? Come on now....

Admittedly, looking at it as JUST a fan of "real" wrestling, I selfishly would like to see him continue wrestling. However, I COMPLETELY understand why he would take this opportunity and run with it as quick and as long as he can. Hell, he still gave Minnesota 4 years. Cejudo won his Olympic Gold and IMMEDIATELY capitalized on it BARELY giving wrestling another thought(other than the last minute comeback where he lost to Simmons at the Trials).
No I don’t want to decide his motives…. my post was tongue in cheek…. I don’t give a shit what he does honestly…..he’s a goofer

I’ve said from the beginning though….. he might regret not taking advantage of an opportunity few get to represent his country in the Olympics again if he doesn’t do so….. you’re right Cejudo made that choice seems content with it and far as I know isn’t making Millions in WWE…. everyone is different

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN and el dub
His “brand”? What about his “desires”? Which is more important?
I am pretty sure they both coincide, at least for now. Like I said, if WWE stalls or flat out doesn't work out, maybe we see him back Internationally. But, for now, I just don't see it happening...

Winning the Gold Medal match in the final seconds when the official stood the two up very quickly (some would say incorrectly so) after the first takedown, is hardly waltzing through the bracket/tournament. And please don't try to infer that I don't think he's great. Of course he is.
I’m being a little flippant. I don’t actually mean he waltzed through it or had no difficulty in winning. But he was a 21 year old at Heavyweight, with no senior world/Olympic experience under his belt, only one Senior international tournament (PanAms I believe), and with two other multi time World/Olympic champs (plus the U23 champ from Iran) in the bracket. And he didn’t give up a point until the finals. It’s just wild.

Do the WWE celebs even have a brand to worry about? Those fans don’t seem too discerning about …. well anything…. he comes in the ring waving a flag wearing

No I don’t want to decide his motives…. my post was tongue in cheek…. I don’t give a shit what he does honestly…..he’s a goofer

I’ve said from the beginning though….. he might regret taking advantage of an opportunity few get to represent his country in the Olympics again if he doesn’t do so….. you’re right Cejudo made that choice seems content with it and far as I know isn’t making Millions in WWE…. everyone is different
Cejudo made MMA money.

Cejudo made MMA money.
yea I don’t follow MMA much either…. has he made pretty good money? As much as GS stands to?

Is he still competing?

really enjoy interviews with him talking about Terry 😂

edit… see on google his reported net worth is 2 million and his annual salary 450,000

Reactions: 24 so far
yea I don’t follow MMA much either…. has he made pretty good money? As much as GS stands to?

Is he still competing?

really enjoy interviews with him talking about Terry 😂

edit… see on google his reported net worth is 2 million and his annual salary 450,000
I think WWE actors make more money than UFC fighters currently. Top UFC draws may be offered pay per view points, but until recently, $12,000 to show and $12,000 for a win was common for fighters just coming on board.

I think WWE actors make more money than UFC fighters currently. Top UFC draws may be offered pay per view points, but until recently, $12,000 to show and $12,000 for a win was common for fighters just coming on board.
wow….. it’ll be interesting to see how many of these guys that fight MMA a lengthy amount of time’s health is when they’re older….. they take some brutal punishment sometimes…..

I am pretty sure they both coincide, at least for now. Like I said, if WWE stalls or flat out doesn't work out, maybe we see him back Internationally. But, for now, I just don't see it happening...

But they may very well not. And that’s the point. He might want to win another NCAA title. The WWE $ and opportunity isn’t going anywhere.

Depends what his goals are.

That’s the point.

Depends what his goals are.
Goals can change. Especially for young people just dipping their toe in the in the adult end of the pool for the first time.

I’m sure there are people who really thought they wanted to be actors until being exposed to the film making process.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT