ADVERTISEMENT

Whom Do You Blame More for the Hostile Political Climate in America?

Pick the one you blame more from each pair (skip a pair if you think they are equally to blame)

• Trump

• Obama

• The liberal press

• The right wing press

• Republicans

• Democrats

• White people

• Non-white people

• Men

• Women

Results are only viewable after voting.
Trump, no question. If only he didn't say or tweet such stupid crap, so often and straight up lie about insignificant things so often. The media couldn't report it. Liberals would be pissed off less often and cons would have to defend him less often.
Did you bother to look at the graphics above? This problem got exponentially worse from 2004 thru 2014. Trump is a byproduct, not a root cause.
I'd add social media as being a huge driving force as well. The garbage spread and spewed there has made the divide so much worse.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I think you misunderstood the point of the poll. You are supposed to pick which of each pair you blame more for the worsening of civility. "More" being the key word.

There are 5 pairs. So 5 votes.

You seem to want to be able to answer "both" - but that's not what the poll was looking for. Which is why I suggested you might want to do your own poll.
I understood it just fine and, frankly, have no interest in starting a new poll.

I was just trying to politely point out that this poll, like most of the things you post here, was stupid.

Have a nice day.

Did you bother to look at the graphics above? This problem got exponentially worse from 2004 thru 2014. Trump is a byproduct, not a root cause.
I'd add social media as being a huge driving force as well. The garbage spread and spewed there has made the divide so much worse.

Is HROT social media? I've never been on FB or Twitter, but this place is pretty bad. A lot of angry people here.

Actually, it goes back to Ken Starr, Newt, Bill Clinton and then Bush v. Gore.

Reactions: Mattski

I did see the charts above. I noticed it stopped at 2014 and we're now in 2018. I also noticed it's measuring "polarization", which I don't think captures the sheer hostility that exists today. Conservatives like to point out that liberals would be crapping on any Republican, like they did to Bush and Romney, that's certainly true.

However, I don't think it's controversial to believe the treatment Trump gets is because he's uniquely bad, he is unprecedented. If Trump's behavior wasn't so uniquely disgusting there would be less material to go around on both sides of the media spectrum and on social media. So I selected him as the answer for who I blame "more".

I hope that provides a little more context.

I'm not sure if this theory is barking up the right tree or not and I do hesitate to comment on TV news media when I don't watch any news left or right. But I wonder if the "problem" is magnified by the lack of competition in right wing media.

Fox is pretty much the only place conservatives can go to get comfortable news and opinions that they know they will agree with. Unfortunately, Breitbart/Blaze/Infowars seems to have become more "mainstream" but I like to think those are still "fringe" for most conservatives.

Non-conservatives have CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NYT, WaPo, and on and on down the line competing for their attention. There may be less of a true "echo chamber" because there's plenty to choose from.

Just speaking in general of course.

I think there is a lot of truth in this as well. Perhaps there needs to be a less inflammatory "right leaning" media outlet that would cast the traditional MSM in a left leaning light, but also cast portions of Fox (Tucker / Hannity) as too far right.

But let's be honest - there really aren't too many true NEWS sources. Most everything has turned into some version of Us vs Them Entertainment.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
I think there is a lot of truth in this as well. Perhaps there needs to be a less inflammatory "right leaning" media outlet that would cast the traditional MSM in a left leaning light, but also cast portions of Fox (Tucker / Hannity) as too far right.

But let's be honest - there really aren't too many true NEWS sources. Most everything has turned into some version of Us vs Them Entertainment.

Unfortunately, they're giving us what we want.

And now it is spilling out onto the streets, don't you just love our political duopoly?

Reactions: Pepperman
Both sides will paint the issue in a certain way that appeals to their audience. BUT, the right side (more often than not) does so in a way that demeans, belittles, and denigrates those on the left; and they do this much more often than left-wing pundits. L

I’m going to nitpick this here: while I think you are correct about the “pundits”, the average conservative voter doesn’t have to look very hard to be told they’re stupid, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, etc. It’s much easier to avoid Republican pundits than it is to get away from pop culture. Lots of people out there simply don’t know how to ignore things.

Reactions: SL Hawk Fan
I’m going to nitpick this here: while I think you are correct about the “pundits”, the average conservative voter doesn’t have to look very hard to be told they’re stupid, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, etc. It’s much easier to avoid Republican pundits than it is to get away from pop culture. Lots of people out there simply don’t know how to ignore things.
That's a reasonable point. To the extent your comments pertain to media pundits, they're likely conveying those thoughts indirectly/smuggly which isn't necessarily "hostile" but admittedly "very f'ing annoying" so I get your point.

I think where it really shows up is in social media (thanks Mattski for highlighting that one) because that is where we see people at their most divisive. However, I tend to think of that as more a symptom than a cause.

But who knows? I think everybody is reaching the end of their patience with respect to so much of this. I enjoy a rigorous political debate, but when it immediately devolves into name-calling and unsubstantiated crap presented as "fact" - Well I just lose interest.

Reactions: Mattski
... the average conservative voter doesn’t have to look very hard to be told they’re stupid, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, etc. ....
And sometimes that's unfair. But often it's true.

Conservatives who aren't those things, might want to ask themselves why they get portrayed that way. Perhaps if they spoke out more often against those things, those over-generalizations would be toned down.

... the average conservative voter doesn’t have to look very hard to be told they’re stupid, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, etc. ....

Conservatives who aren't those things, might want to ask themselves why they get portrayed that way. Perhaps if they spoke out more often against those things, those over-generalizations would be toned down.
they get portrayed that way because dems want to shut off any discussion so they use name calling as a cudgel. Nothing more than that

You have an incredible lack of self awareness. What’s it like in your bubble?

Typical Sal.

Can't refute anything but doesn't like the truth, so lashes out.

Not just Sal, either . . . typical Republican, these days. It's all they have.

I’m actually an independent who has a much better grasp on reality than you. I can’t refute anything? lol laughable given your idiotic statements and ill-conceived hypotheses, you should feel embarrassed regarding 90% of your postings on here. How’s retired life treating you anyways?

Last edited:
I’m actually an independent who has a much better grasp on reality than you. I can’t refute anything? lol laughable given your idiotic statements and ill-conceived hypotheses. You should feel embarrassed regarding 90% of your postings on here. How’s retired life treating you anyways?
Still haven't refuted anything.

Pretty sure most people here - including those who don't like my politics - know which of us posts facts and engages in honest debate.

The only reason you aren't on my ignore list is that I feel the need to point out when you are wrong - which is most of the time.

Reactions: 3 and Out on D
I blame a generation who didn't teach their kids how to accept losing. A generation that told their kids that everything they did was special and beautiful. Kids that were never told they were wrong or that someone else might be better at something than they are. When these kids came face to face with other people who disagreed with them, they didn't know how to handle it.

Reactions: BigDelHawk
Still haven't refuted anything.

Pretty sure most people here - including those who don't like my politics - know which of us posts facts and engages in honest debate.

The only reason you aren't on my ignore list is that I feel the need to point out when you are wrong - which is most of the time.

I think you have a poor understanding of the difference between fact and opinion. There are posts worth of refuting but you’re on a whole another level. I’m not sure why, but you may want to tone down the rhetoric. I don’t care about your politics but your rhetoric is simply an affront to the intelligence of every poster on here. ( I’m being generous)

Last edited:
For me personally, Ferguson was the first time I thought stuff started to get weird

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT