ADVERTISEMENT

Who's the biggest threat to win the QB position?

Hawkeyeinsoutherncalifornia

HR All-American
Mar 9, 2017
Van Nuys, California
For some reason I would like to see Boyle take the helm.. he is fast and can definitely scramble, his passing? I would hope has gotten much better from his high school days which I am sure of... to be good enough to take the lead as a starter? I don't know, I would hope to think KF and crew would start to recruit some running QB's like the B Banks days...thoughts? Opinions?

Jus
For some reason I would like to see Boyle take the helm.. he is fast and can definitely scramble, his passing? I would hope has gotten much better from his high school days which I am sure of... to be good enough to take the lead as a starter? I don't know, I would hope to think KF and crew would start to recruit some running QB's like the B Banks days...thoughts? Opinions?
Just curious, why would you think Boyle's passing has gotten much better from his high school days? Most of his time at Iowa he has been working out as a wide receiver. I doubt he's been putting in a lot of time with throwing mechanics.
One would certainly think that Stanley has the inside track, and perhaps Wiegers can give him some good competition. I'd be shocked if Cook or Boyle subplant them, or if Mansel is in the mix, as I'd imagine they redshirt him this coming fall.

Reactions: mick82
Haven't had a QB that effective at running and throwing since Banks...we've had some good QB's but no Heisman type QB's as he was the runner up.

Where in So Cal, I'm a Hawk in Nor Cal, East of Sacramento.

Minus the fact Boyle isn't one of the top 2 passers I say I hope not. May be most athletic besides that passing wise I pray he's not our qb. As much as talk about banks ability to scramble for most part he was a drop back passer.

Reactions: millah_22
I'm in Barstow, I frequent Barneys Beanery down here for Iowa games. Local iClubs at every location.
Oh man spent quite a bit of time at Barneys Beanery in Burbank when we went down for the '16 RB....pretty fun spot. Place was totally packed with Hawk fans on NYE as we watched MSU get man-handled by Bama.....little did we know what was to come.

Reactions: Cougar63
One of the reasons for optimism lies in what the spin around Stanley. Sometimes its just hype and sometimes its real. It is the rare kid that excites everyone that's seen him in practice and drills. Stanley has been that kid thus far.

We'll know more in a couple of weeks. A budding star at QB would certainly help the transition to a more productive passing offense.

Reactions: 24 so far
Stanley I believe was in a QB running offense in HS. I believe Mansell was also.

I'd be stunned if Stanley doesn't win the job barring something unforeseen occurring. True frosh don't win the backup job over an incumbent unless they got something going on that makes them better.

We all want great competition and the best player, but why would you like Boyle over Stanley? Stanley has the in game experience, the size, the arm. We haven't seen anything from Boyle at QB to make him an option.

We all want great competition and the best player, but why would you like Boyle over Stanley? Stanley has the in game experience, the size, the arm. We haven't seen anything from Boyle at QB to make him an option.
Exactly. Read quoted post earlier and thought it was hogwash and poppycock. Stanley is the real deal.

Stanley I believe was in a QB running offense in HS. I believe Mansell was also.

Stanley ran the Wing-T, part of the reason he was under the radar.

Don't know about Mansell, but his high school passing numbers are fairly low.

Stanley ran the Wing-T, part of the reason he was under the radar.

Don't know about Mansell, but his high school passing numbers are fairly low.
His passing numbers were decent last year in upper level Texas high school play (5A I believe). And he was definitely a consistent threat running the ball. Near 50 combined tds his senior year.

The BIGGEST threat to win the QB job would have to be Stanley, as he added 23 pounds to his frame. Now at 235 pounds, up from 212 !!

Reactions: terrehawk
One of the reasons for optimism lies in what the spin around Stanley. Sometimes its just hype and sometimes its real. It is the rare kid that excites everyone that's seen him in practice and drills. Stanley has been that kid thus far.

We'll know more in a couple of weeks. A budding star at QB would certainly help the transition to a more productive passing offense.

Very well said. I will add we, as fans, HAVE to be realistic about this situation. Stanley has nobody on the outside to throw to... at all. His best target (on the outside) won't be able to gain hardly any timing with him all spring. Don't be calling for Wiegers lol. Let this kid settle in. He is clearly special if they thought highly enough to not RS him. Anyone who is educated on this program knows that is unheard of given last year's situation. Like Ferentz or not it should say a lot to you that he took this route with Nate Stanley. I think he will be very special.

I wouldn't exactly call myself an optimistic fan. I've watched enough Chiefs and Hawkeye football to not allow myself to be. I have very high hopes for Nate Stanley. I just think we have to be willing to to let him settle in a bit and as fans be realistic. Last year's receiving core was arguably the worst I've ever seen at Iowa and... well... it didn't really get any better. I like a couple of the receiver recruits but don't see them as instant impact performers.

What we really need is the likes of Noah Fant and Peter Pekar to be a security blanket. I, personally, have almost as big of a man crush on Fant as I do Stanley. These dudes are gonna form quite the duo IMO. Our revised offense is sounding like it's heading back towards the programs bread and butter. With Stanley's height, Fant's athleticism, and receivers who will mature with time... The future of the offense looks bright. The O-Line is gonna be mean. Let's just give them a bit of a break this year, especially early.

All of that being said, I'm sure first pick he throws there will already be a Wiegers thread. If my post has reached just one person it was worth it. Patience, young grasshoppers, patience.

Reactions: atkins 23
His passing numbers were decent last year in upper level Texas high school play (5A I believe). And he was definitely a consistent threat running the ball. Near 50 combined tds his senior year.

For some reason, I only found his junior numbers but thought they were senior year, and 1700 passing seemed kinda low.

Senior year throwing for 2560 and running for 1129. Nice.

Reactions: Harbinger273
Hey if Iowa State starting quarterback can immediately jump in as a starting linebacker maybe boyle has a chance on the other side too. He certainly isnt a D1 qb

Boyle wasn't even a QB last year and is QB4 right now. I don't believe there is a chance in a million that Boyle is our QB this year or ever.

Boyle wasn't even a QB last year and is QB4 right now. I don't believe there is a chance in a million that Boyle is our QB this year or ever.
They could line-up in sort of a wildcat. Akrum at QB, Boyle split out... run a slant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT