ADVERTISEMENT

Why are LEOs exempt from having their mugshot published?

Finance85

HR Legend
Oct 22, 2003
Here's a local story about a deputy who was arrested for DUI.

My question is, why are law enforcement officers exempt from having their mugshot published? I can understand the notion of not publishing their address, but I don't understand why that would apply to their mugshot. I suppose that might compromise a LEO who is undercover, but it seems to me that once you get arrested for circumstances like this, that should be just as job limiting for cops as it is for everyone else.

SANTA ROSA COUNTY, Fla. -- A Santa Rosa County deputy was charged with DUI Tuesday morning.

Deputy Christopher Tyree, 29, was arrested a little after midnight Tuesday morning for a second-degree misdemeanor DUI charge.

Tyree was released from Santa Rosa County Jail Tuesday morning on a $2,500 bond.

His mugshot is made exempt due to his position.

The report states Tyree registered a blood alcohol level of .204 and .202.

According to a report, troopers observed a Jeep, driven by Tyree, traveling at 68 mph in a 45 mph zone near State Road 87 and Oakland Street.

The report states that after pulling Tyree over, a trooper noticed he had "blood shot watery eyes," slurred speech and could smell alcohol on his breath.

According to the report, a trooper observed spilled liquid in the passenger side of the vehicle, which Tyree told the trooper was from a bottle he tried to hide prior to being pulled over.

The report states Tyree said he consumed four 16-ounce bottles of beer, plus some of the one that spilled inside the car.

Tyree was then placed under arrest.

Tyree is the fifth Santa Rosa County Sheriff's Office employee to be arrested this year.

"The culture of the sheriff's office comes from the top down and I'll tell you right now we're here to serve the citizens of Santa Rosa County and actions like this are not tolerated," Santa Rosa County Sheriff Bob Johnson said.

ADVERTISEMENT