ADVERTISEMENT

Why are Republicans having so much trouble with the Iraq question?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
Bush, Rubio, and Walker have all given multiple fence straddling answers over the question of was it a mistake to go into Iraq? Christie forcefully said it was a mistake, but blamed that darned, faulty intelligence that was thrust upon George Bush.
What are the internal dynamics of the Republican primary that are forcing the candidates into these confusing answers? What groups are they trying to appeal to, and do they think this helps them in the general election?

I do not get this either. It is abundantly clear that being nice to terrorists is failing miserably. Why not just say so?

We went into Iraq. We should have stayed. We were winning slowly and surely and at the same time we were keeping a lid on the rest of the Middle East.

Why not just say so? We cannot beat the liberals at the "Blame everything on Bush" game until we engage. We are not doing that.

We need to resell that decision to go into Iraq ... We do not win if we run from it.

Germany...

Korea.

Wow. That was really tough!

Wow, Korea is your model for the future of American military force? Just fight to a stalemate and never, ever leave? And you realize that we had a lot of help in Germany, right?

I sincerely hope that every future male descendant of your familial line is killed or severely maimed in one our future endless wars. I mean that with 100% sincerity.

Wow, Korea is your model for the future of American military force? Just fight to a stalemate and never, ever leave? And you realize that we had a lot of help in Germany, right?

I sincerely hope that every future male descendant of your familial line is killed or severely maimed in one our future endless wars. I mean that with 100% sincerity.

Noting that the smart thing to do in Iraq would have been to keep a QRF there for the foreseeable future. There was no stalemate in Iraq. And there would be no ISIS today.

As to your stupid insult, I did two years in Iraq. Better men than you served honorably there.

So... Perhaps, if you haven't had offspring yet, if you off yourself now, you won't contaminate the rest of the world.

I base THAT sincerity on my time served in the military, dip shit.

Wow, who's the new jackass? When are you going to demand we leave Japan? Or Germany? Why do we have any troops in any foreign country? Shouldn't we bring ALL troops home?

Reactions: BlazinHawk
I do not get this either. It is abundantly clear that being nice to terrorists is failing miserably. Why not just say so?

We went into Iraq. We should have stayed. We were winning slowly and surely and at the same time we were keeping a lid on the rest of the Middle East.

Why not just say so? We cannot beat the liberals at the "Blame everything on Bush" game until we engage. We are not doing that.

We need to resell that decision to go into Iraq ... We do not win if we run from it.
OMG please do this.

Well that's a little sexist. Harsh too, but if you're going historical lets try to be egalitarian about your ranting.

Noting that the smart thing to do in Iraq would have been to keep a QRF there for the foreseeable future. There was no stalemate in Iraq. And there would be no ISIS today.

Actually, dipshit, the only way ISIS doesn't exist is if we don't go in there at all.

As to your stupid insult, I did two years in Iraq.

I can see why we lost. Too bad you made it out alive.

Better men than you served honorably there.

Improbable, bordering on impossible.

I base THAT sincerity on my time served in the military

Thank you for creating ISIS and participating in one of the few failed military engagements in US history.

How many women and children did you rape while you were over there?

Reactions: Nat Algren
Actually, dipshit, the only way ISIS doesn't exist is if we don't go in there at all.

Thank you for creating ISIS and participating in one of the few failed military engagements in US history.

Ooo... You are killing me with your insults. Now stop interrupting while I shave your mom's back...

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

It's funny, while your mom was banging me last week, she said she feels bad she was born fertile, based on the embarrassment her son was. She said she wishes sure would have swallowed.

If this is the typical example of what our military has to offer, it's no wonder that we've gotten our ass kicked in every foreign engagement since WWII. What kind of pussies, dropouts, and social rejects make the cut these days?

Reactions: Aegon_Targaryen
Baby raper comes back from Iraq, only to get his ass kicked on the Internet. Fights back with mom jokes, because military members aren't very bright.

I'd be more entertained if you two met up and threw hands, or at least shook face to face. Internet fighting is terrible, I thought that's why we all put up our pics. So when you see that person walking down the street you can kick them in the nuts.

Maybe then again, that wasn't the intention of posting our pictures. Oh well it's my interpretation, I'll go with that..

To the long timers here I'd like to apologize. It certainly isn't worth lowering myself to this "poster" because of grade school insults from him by doing the same. He has 28 posts total... And most of them bereft of any substance. That should have tipped me of.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Wow, who's the new jackass? When are you going to demand we leave Japan? Or Germany? Why do we have any troops in any foreign country? Shouldn't we bring ALL troops home?
Honestly comparing Germany and Japan to Iraq? Please open a history book at some point.

Bush, Rubio, and Walker have all given multiple fence straddling answers over the question of was it a mistake to go into Iraq? Christie forcefully said it was a mistake, but blamed that darned, faulty intelligence that was thrust upon George Bush.
What are the internal dynamics of the Republican primary that are forcing the candidates into these confusing answers? What groups are they trying to appeal to, and do they think this helps them in the general election?
Because politicians in both parties have an aversion to admitting that a decision made by someone in their party was a mistake.

OMG. It would be glorious to "resell that decision to go into Iraq." Holy hell that is the funniest thing I've seen in the Iraq discussion in some time.

Please take that cause up and hold your candidate of choice accountable to that.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Most of them aren't. Jeb's answer was fine, except it was to the wrong question. Rubio gave a particularly good answer. Didn't straddle anything. And people such as yourself are -- perhaps unintentionally -- distorting their answers. Chris Wallace simply refused to accept Rubio's answer.

I think it's fair to ask the question, but I think the questioner has an obligation (1) to accept the answer instead of trying to make the candidate say what the questioner wants to hear, and (2) treat Hillary the same way, if and when she ever answers substantive questions.

And I'd like to see the same rationale applied to other situations. For instance, if it's reasonable to ask a Republican candidate for president what he would have done 10 years ago, armed with the knowledge developed in the intervening years, it certainly is much more reasonable to ask the sitting president whether he would have taken the same actions he took -- bugging out of Iraq, shoving through Obamacare, etc., etc., etc., if he had known then what the result would be.

it's because Obama supposedly won although he was really installed, but he supposedly won in 2007 and 2008 running around campaigning on "get them out of Iraq, take that to the bank"

Who was leading the charge before Bush got into office? Look up Iraqi LIberation Act, and educate yourself on this matter. It was a team effort, the only talking down the Democrats did was simply in the name of playing politics.
Seriously, it's time to stop the same BS arguments over and over. You want change to happen? Then start actually knowing the truth in what you are talking about.
Anything and everything Bush said about Iraq was being said before he even got into office.

The world is a better place without Saddam Hussein. When will someone call them out on this part of the answer?
Yes and no, the chaos in Iraq wasn't like this when he was there. Anytime he went out and caused trouble, it almost always favored our interests.

Thank you for the enlightened response Mr Obama. Just a couple of questions, is ISIS still a JV team? Isn't there a flag you should be stomping on? What University do you teach at?

Dipshit!

What the #$# is going to happen if we don't go into Iraq? What the @#$@# do we gain from going into Iraq? What is the point of being there?

Thank you for the enlightened response Mr Obama. Just a couple of questions, is ISIS still a JV team? Isn't there a flag you should be stomping on? What University do you teach at?

Dipshit!
Yes compared to us, they are NOTHING. We could wipe them out in hours if we really wanted to. Stop being such a pussy.

Certainly Bush had problems with it(only because he clearly misunderstood the original question) but no other candidate had problems with it. Most explained they would have gone in if they knew what we thought we knew then but would not had we known what we knew today.

ADVERTISEMENT