ADVERTISEMENT

Why Brian Ferentz is a bad OC (in a nutshell)

BlackNGoldBleeder

HR Legend
Jun 23, 2017
His play calling follows two patterns:

The most common (maybe 80% of the time): Petras under center on first down, stuffed run; 2nd and 3rd down Petras in shotgun throwing underneath crossing routes or sack.

Pattern two: 1st down incompletion; 2nd down Petras under center hands off for no gain; 3rd down shotgun sack.

Rinse and repeat.

5wmyx7.jpg

The most common (maybe 80% of the time): Petras under center on first down, stuffed run; 2nd and 3rd down Petras in shotgun throwing underneath crossing routes or sack.

Pattern two: 1st down incompletion; 2nd down Petras under center hands off for no gain; 3rd down shotgun sack.

Rinse and repeat.
BnG i like your posts and you are obviously a good hawk fan.

There is no reason to overthink things, we all get playcalling is frustratingly bad.

If you are venting to other hawk fans I understand and agree with your statement.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I am not a BF fan but what would any OC do with that O line? I guess you could say get a running QB who is an escape artist as I am not sure Carl Lewis could escape the rushers that get free runs at the QB. There were some head scratching whiffs today. The worst by far was the dude that split the two linemen who looked at each other expecting the other to block him.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
I am not a BF fan but what would any OC do with that O line? I guess you could say get a running QB who is an escape artist as I am not sure Carl Lewis could escape the rushers that get free runs at the QB. There were some head scratching whiffs today. The worst by far was the dude that split the two linemen who looked at each other expecting the other to block him.
He’s responsible for the operation of the offense, not just the scheme and playcalling. If they can’t block it up, that’s on him too.

I don’t know how many times an OC needs to have his QB sacked by a particular player (Herbig) before you start to double a guy and/or chip him.

I really focused on the line play today, something I don't normally do. I was appalled at how many times they just stood there with cement shoes. Spencer isn't very accurate sometimes but I have a new appreciation of what he's dealing with. Couple that with rolling him left all the time.
Freaking head scratcher.

Rinse and repeat.
Do you have coaching experience? Do you have direct reports? Are they 18-22 years old? What’s your actual name besides ur screen name? Our guys where theme on their jerseys.

Rinse and repeat.

So are you saying when BF calls a run play he expects a no gain or loss of yardage or a pass play that he knows will get his QB sacked? I suspect he expects the line to open a hole for the back or the O line to pass block so a pass completion is possible, wouldn't you? I saw so many missed assignments by the O line today that it was embarrassing. I suppose you can ultimately blame him for that though.

Rinse and repeat.
Too conservative. Too predictable. Too lacking in imagination.

Rinse and repeat.
You aren't wrong, but that's the same pattern Iowa's offense has had for 20 years. It seems there is a constant that you aren't including in the equation. The difference being, of course, in other years they have an offensive line that is tougher than wet paper towels to get through.

Playcalling wouldn't matter as much if Plumb wasn't whiffing several times or Colby at least one big whiff.
I would rate BF's problems as 1) Talent on OL, WR is poor 2) QB is not mobile 3) Playcalling.
Plumb was amazingly poor today

I really focused on the line play today, something I don't normally do. I was appalled at how many times they just stood there with cement shoes. Spencer isn't very accurate sometimes but I have a new appreciation of what he's dealing with. Couple that with rolling him left all the time.
Freaking head scratcher.
I agree on the roll left but if he rolls right, Plumb’s guy will pile drive Spencer into the ground then do it to the next qb. Oline play is bad. I’d fire Barret or tell him to move on before he is fired.

I just think he doesn’t have a feel for the game…..Think about this- how many times will he run a hot play two times in a row even run a play that seems to work in the next possession. How many times will he roll Petras to his left even though he DOESNT throw well when going to his left.

Reactions: hawklaw1212
ADVERTISEMENT