ADVERTISEMENT

Why can’t I learn my lesson…

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
Five Guys burgers. Not that great. To self: quit going and thinking they’re going to be different this time. You’ll save the $20 for a single bacon cheese and fries you won’t eat anyway.

All I really want is a quick burger that tastes like a real open flame cooked burger. Not sure that exists anymore. B-Bops is close, but I don’t live in the DSM area anymore.

SAD!

They really do. I think I thought they were decent maybe 5-7ish years ago. Did they change? Or is it just me.

They were great like 10-12 years ago. Since then quality has dipped and prices are 2-3x higher.

You'd be better off going to Burger King. It would still suck, but would suck for 70% less money.

Funny thing is, the “flame broiled burger” the king used to churn out in the 80’s is what I think I’m always hungry for and can’t find. It could very well be that I’m misremembering how great they were.

Five Guys burgers. Not that great. To self: quit going and thinking they’re going to be different this time. You’ll save the $20 for a single bacon cheese and fries you won’t eat anyway.

All I really want is a quick burger that tastes like a real open flame cooked burger. Not sure that exists anymore. B-Bops is close, but I don’t live in the DSM area anymore.

SAD!
I love 5 Guys myself, but have to be in the mood for a gut-busting, one-meal day soaked in grease. Go in expecting that and you aren't disappointed.

For what you are talking about though --- "a quick burger that tastes like a real open flame cooked burger" --- I really think a Culver's cheeseburger is just about perfect. Always cooked to order, always delicious, definitely has the flavor you're looking for.

Culvers-crLaceyMuszynski.jpg

Funny thing is, the “flame broiled burger” the king used to churn out in the 80’s is what I think I’m always hungry for and can’t find. It could very well be that I’m misremembering how great they were.

I still love the aroma grom BK when they are cooking - it smells better than a 5 star restaurant.
Then I take a bite, and come crashing back to the reality that I am at the BK lounge.

Reactions: Hawki97
I love 5 Guys myself, but have to be in the mood for a gut-busting, one-meal day soaked in grease. Go in expecting that and you aren't disappointed.

For what you are talking about though --- "a quick burger that tastes like a real open flame cooked burger" --- I really think a Culver's cheeseburger is just about perfect. Always cooked to order, always delicious, definitely has the flavor you're looking for.

I eat Culver’s on the regular. They’re the best fast food burger in my market.

That said, they’re definitely not “cooked over an open flame.”

The last time I ate there (Culver's) the burger sucked. Not sure what happened. It's like the patty was smaller than usual.

I actually think Five Guys is pretty decent. The major issue though is their price point. It isn't nearly as good as they charge.

The last time I ate there (Culver's) the burger sucked. Not sure what happened. It's like the patty was smaller than usual.

That’s actually quite surprising. IMHO they’re the CFA of burger places. Always good. Very consistent. Clean. Normally friendly staff.

I’m a fan. They just don’t check the “open flame” box I’m whining about in this thread.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I think I actually prefer grilled on a flattop over open flame. All my favorites seem to be flattop variety.

I’m definitely not against them because I love hamburgers of any race, creed, or orientation. I think the open flame burger is massively under represented in the Midwest (see Trads comment on CookOut).

It’s not just you. Went in about three months ago and was really disappointed.
Their fries are still pretty good but not super special anymore either.

One of the things I’ve given 5Guys credit for is their fries. I normally don’t like “fresh cut” limp fries like Short’s fries that people jizz over (that’s an Iowa City reference for the Noles) - but 5Guys are pretty good. It’s their burger that has gone down hill to my memory.

Haven’t been to one in five or six years because of the peanuts. It’s a shame if the quality dropped.

I like Freddy’s and Culver’s, but you’re really depending on the cook not ruining it by overcooking the edges.

Freaking Iowans (and floridians). In-n-Out is the best fast food burger for the same reason Five Guys sucks. You get a good burger meal for under $10. And like CFL it's fast, clean and friendly.

I figured you'd hate CFL because they're closed on Sundays and donate money to the Boy Scouts and stuff like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT