ADVERTISEMENT

Why do Bluder’s women’s teams go into a shell whenever there is a big game?

Fair Child

HR All-State
Gold Member
Oct 21, 2019
geez, three starters who barely scored. so many examples thru the years,

This really wasn't a big game, standings wise at least. We weren't going to win the Big Ten regardless and if we win 1 game in the BTT we lock up at least a 4 seed. It was a tough road game and we barely came up short, not exactly what I'd call going into a shell. Most people didn't think we'd even make the tournament going into the season so I'd say the girls are doing a damn good job

They tend to struggle with teams that are superior athletically and can match their tempo.

Still a helluva season . . .

This analysis is exactly right. Bluder over performs in the Big Ten with a roster that, on the whole, is high in skill and short on athleticism. This works in the Big Ten, which is relatively short on athleticism compared to the top conferences.

In what was considered by most to be a rebuilding year I believe the Iowa women have nothing to apologize for this year.

Big Ten Predicted Order Of Finish
CREME HAYS VOEPEL
1. Maryland Maryland Maryland
2. Minnesota Indiana Michigan
3. Indiana Michigan State Michigan State
4. Michigan Minnesota Indiana
5. Michigan State Michigan Rutgers
6. Rutgers Purdue Minnesota
7. Ohio State Northwestern Nebraska
8. Iowa Ohio State Iowa
9. Northwestern Iowa Purdue
10. Purdue Rutgers Ohio State
11. Nebraska Nebraska Penn State
12. Wisconsin Penn State Northwestern
13. Penn State Wisconsin Wisconsin
14. Illinois Illinois Illinois

This really wasn't a big game, standings wise at least. We weren't going to win the Big Ten regardless and if we win 1 game in the BTT we lock up at least a 4 seed. It was a tough road game and we barely came up short, not exactly what I'd call going into a shell. Most people didn't think we'd even make the tournament going into the season so I'd say the girls are doing a damn good job
This. I think they've won several big games. C. Vivian team, on the road & senior day. thought they represented themselves quite well and they had a chance to win it.

Not whining, just trying to understand the lack of mental toughness/confidence? You don’t need to be a jerk!

your complaint has Ben stated many times over the years. I get tired of redundancy

as for mental toughness, how do you think they came back to tie game?? They were playing a decent team on their senior day. Iowa would be third seed, win or lose, so I don’t consider this a big game for them

I will ad mit Doyle and Meyer look a bit worn out but they are the reasons for 20 win season and had to be done with them on court

This. I think they've won several big games. C. Vivian team, on the road & senior day. thought they represented themselves quite well and they had a chance to win it.
Oh yeah,t
Won the B1G Tourney and went to the Regional Final once .....oh yeah, last year!

But, I guess they can't win big games. :rolleyes:
you mean that regional final against Baylor where they got blown out by 30? Guess that wasn’t a big game!

Oh yeah,t

you mean that regional final against Baylor where they got blown out by 30? Guess that wasn’t a big game!

That would be true if there weren't any big games before that. Hawks showed up big time in game after game last year, and acquitted themselves well this year in a rebuilding year.

As others have said, this analysis, at least this year, is really off. Iowa has won most of its big games, and has stolen a few games in the final few minutes that it really had no business winning. It almost did so again today.

Iowa's trouble this year is that it matches up really poorly with big, athletic teams that are strong defensively. See today against Rutgers and the games against Maryland. I'm still shocked it beat Maryland at home.

Reactions: Scott559
Not whining, just trying to understand the lack of mental toughness/confidence? You don’t need to be a jerk!

This team has won like 33 games in a row at home with more than a few times battling back from deficits against good teams during that streak.

They crushed the team that won the Conference (Northwestern) on the road.

They were predicted to be a bottom half of Big Ten team after losing the best player in the country and ended up 23-6 and 14-4 in conference.

The reason you are being called out is because your post makes zero sense and lacks credibility.

They tend to struggle with teams that are superior athletically and can match their tempo.

Still a helluva season if they end up getting to a sweet 16 after losing the national PoY.

Lol. How many teams step up and play better when going against opponents that are physically superior?

The girls program is outstanding. Of course they don't win every big game but they've won an awful lot of big games since LB arrived on campus. Like Regional Finals last season. Top 5 seed this season-possibly higher.

Oh yeah,t

I'm guessing you said the same things last year about Duke. Didn't win the National Championship, so they can't win the big one. When is the last time a team from the B1G won a national championship. None of them can win a big game:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Am I the only one today who thought the women were in a football game rather then a basketball game. I didn't believe how many over the back rebounds that Rutgers got on us. But I guess when you out weigh your opponent by 25 lbs, you're allowed to push or jump on top of them for a rebound. That's why it's hard to play on the road....

Reactions: BGHAWK
For God's sake will they stop trying the lob passes into Czinano?....nine times out of ten she seems stuck to the floor and the ball goes out of bounds.

The refs did allow Rutgers to go over the back numerous times and then there was that bush-league flop when Czinano came down court and turned around and the Rutgers player ran in behind her and then flopped back. That was total garbage basketball and should have been called on Rutgers for doing it.

And..some Rutgers players can only be described as freaky....#13 is that a tall skinny dude?

Last edited:
For God's sake will they stop trying the lob passes into Czinano?....nine times out of ten she seems stuck to the floor and the ball goes out of bounds.

The refs did allow Rutgers to go over the back numerous times and then there was that bush-league flop when Czinano came down court and turned around and the Rutgers player ran in behind her and then flopped back. That was total garbage basketball and should have been called on Rutgers for doing it.

And..some Rutgers players can only be described as freaky....#13 is that a tall skinny dude?

Why would they stop the lob passes to Czinano? That's a big part of why they are successful. I have watched every game this year and just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure they get more than 1 out of 10 to her, and when they do, she scores at a pretty good percentage, close if not the best in the B1G.

Reactions: HemiHawk
Why would they stop the lob passes to Czinano? That's a big part of why they are successful. I have watched every game this year and just off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure they get more than 1 out of 10 to her, and when they do, she scores at a pretty good percentage, close if not the best in the B1G.
She's #1 in the country in field goal percentage right now.

I was wondering the same thing?

Well, from my chair it appeared the player fronting her was just as tall if not taller and Czinano does not have great hands and cannot jump. Thus the problem in Rutgers game, but JMO.

Well, from my chair it appeared the player fronting her was just as tall if not taller and Czinano does not have great hands and cannot jump. Thus the problem in Rutgers game, but JMO.

So what if the woman fronting her is taller? The guards and forwards have been throwing over the defender to her all year long with great success. Do the passes get picked sometimes, of course. The proof is in the pudding.

So what if the woman fronting her is taller? The guards and forwards have been throwing over the defender to her all year long with great success. Do the passes get picked sometimes, of course. The proof is in the pudding.
whatever, it was not working so you stop IMO. Go argue with someone else as I am done with you.

whatever, it was not working so you stop IMO. Go argue with someone else as I am done with you.

You don't stop going to a part of your game that's worked all year long and for your info, it was working, just not as well as you may have preferred. No need to get all bent out of shape over a little difference of opinion.

edit: I went back and replayed the game and Iowa threw 6 passes over the top and 5 were successful. Czinano scored on 3 of the 5. They threw other types of passes as well and she ended up 6-11 and 19 points. 7 free throws and 2 FTs for sure came from a pass over the top and she was fouled.

Last edited:
Reactions: HemiHawk
ADVERTISEMENT