ADVERTISEMENT

Why do I have a feeling the "stand your ground" supporters aren't going to be so vocal in this case?

Shows how little I know. I thought he chased the other guy, caught up to him and gunned him down.

Clarifications, please.

Accused Pedestrian Mall shooter Lamar Wilson will argue that he fired his weapon in self-defense and invoke Iowa’s “stand your ground” law, according to court documents filed this week.

Court records show that Wilson, 21, pleaded not guilty on Monday to one count of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted murder and three counts of intimidation with a dangerous weapon. His attorney, John Bruzek, also filed a notice of affirmative defenses on Monday, stating his client will use a justification defense.
Wilson, “intends to rely wholly, or in part, on self-defense, defense of others, defense against a forcible felony, defense of property and the right to ‘stand your ground,’” Bruzek wrote in the motion.

Under “stand your ground” — which went into law July 1 — Iowans are not required to retreat from a threat or call police before using deadly force.

Wilson is accused of shooting 23-year-old Kaleek Jones and two other men on Aug. 27. Jones later died of a gunshot wound to his back and neck.

Police patrolling the Ped Mall the morning of Aug. 27 responded to a shooting near College and Dubuque streets around 1:29 a.m. Police said the shooting was the result of an ongoing feud between two groups — one predominantly from Iowa City and the other largely from Cedar Rapids.

Wilson is accused of firing several rounds at several people in close range near the walkway between the Sheraton Hotel and Martini’s bar. When he was captured a short distance from where the shooting took place, Wilson was found with two firearms. Wilson had a valid permit to carry a gun.

Wilson is scheduled to go to trial on Nov. 7.

Also arrested in connection with the Ped Mall shooting is 21-year-old Donte R. Taylor who was found with a 9 mm handgun when he was arrested in a parking ramp near where the shooting took place. Taylor faces counts of trafficking in stolen weapons, possession of a firearm by a felon, carrying weapons, interference with official acts and public intoxication. He has pleaded not guilty to those charges and is scheduled to go to trial on Oct. 24.

First-degree murder is a Class A felony punishable by an automatic life sentence.

http://www.thegazette.com/http://ww...er-armed-robbery-at-coral-ridge-mall-20170919

I don't know the facts of the case so I don't know if stand your ground is a workable defense here.

But I will say that I don't think there is anything wrong with castle doctrine or stand your ground laws when properly applied. Just cause someone tries to use the stand your ground defense doesn't mean they will succeed.

An autopsy says that Jones was shot in the back and neck

Shooting in the back won't help his case but you never know need more details on the case sounds like it was 3 on 1.

Shows how little I know. I thought he chased the other guy, caught up to him and gunned him down.

Clarifications, please.

Other things have shown how little you know too. :rolleyes:

(Yes Dan, the same could be said of me.)

Reactions: DanL53
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT