ADVERTISEMENT

Why do people continue to doubt a football season....

How can you bubble college athletes? It can be done if school is online, which it already is at some schools, like Rutgers. However, do you bubble the FB players only and have them take classes online while the rest of the school goes (for now) normally? Lots of moving parts and pieces.

Youth sports and AAU tournaments have been happening all summer and I haven't read one thing about those being a disaster or super-spreader events, or kids hospitalized or sick. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but I assumed we would hear if it did.

Exactly. These sports have been able to do it too. I just get the feeling that there is too much fear, too much anxiety, too much concern for liability, and maybe too many simply do not want this to be over yet and for people to get back to having fun.

Reactions: 83Hawk
You seriously said get back to having fun? You can’t just wish this thing away. Cmon. Sure traveling sports went on for kids because there was zero testing. So nobody has any idea who got infected or didn’t get infected. There is a lot at stake here for some of these kids. The virus has proven that it is way deadlier in the black community than anywhere else. And 70% of the players are black. You can’t just snap your fingers and say play ball because you want to watch FB again and have fun.

You seriously said get back to having fun? You can’t just wish this thing away. Cmon. Sure traveling sports went on for kids because there was zero testing. So nobody has any idea who got infected or didn’t get infected. There is a lot at stake here for some of these kids. The virus has proven that it is way deadlier in the black community than anywhere else. And 70% of the players are black. You can’t just snap your fingers and say play ball because you want to watch FB again and have fun.

I agree wishing it away won't happen. Doesn't work that way. For those over 70 especially, you had best take precautions and protect yourself. And black and Hispanic people have been more impacted, more than likely related to more multi-generational living arrangements and lower median income. The multi-generational living arrangements make it easier for spread in the home. The lower income can reduce access to healthcare. I've seen no studies that the virus attacks black or Hispanic people more harshly than others.

But overall (all races) for kids 15 and under they are more likely to die from a lightning strike than COVID. For college age an under (all races) more likely to due from seasonal influenza than COVID. So yes, the reason traveling sports continued is that they didn't do testing. That is my point. Why are we testing an age range (college and under)? Test those who are symptomatic. Have coaches practice social distancing. If necessary, have coaches and players on separate planes or buses for travel.

I don't think a college FB season will happen as long as the standard is no sports if any positive tests. That is not possible. Even after a vaccine, there will still be cases.

Reactions: haw-key and pmtdc
If all of our players play less than 4 games, does everyone get to use this as a redshirt year? And do we then only get to have a handful of incoming freshman in the next recruiting class to avoid the roster size growing beyond the allowable limit?
That will be an issue for the NCAA to decide.

And there is no good answer.

Give everyone a year of eligibility. Well what about those freshmen or sophomore that's were expecting to play. Now they have to sit another year. What about incoming students or current HS senior. They thought they'd be competing against 8 guys on the depth chart, now its 12.

Just say aw screw it life sucks everyone loses a year? Well this was the chance for those players to show NFL scouts what they can do or be the big man on campus. Not anymore.

So there is no good answer to what you do. Put me in camp 2, because i think the impact is shorter and on fewer people, but it ain't a good option.

160k dead and counting in a little over six months. That is pretty easy to understand. At this rate, it will be over a quarter million dead in under a year. Again, pretty easy to understand.
Why did they die?......How did they die?.......Where did they get the virus?

Good game, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmtdc
I agree wishing it away won't happen. Doesn't work that way. For those over 70 especially, you had best take precautions and protect yourself. And black and Hispanic people have been more impacted, more than likely related to more multi-generational living arrangements and lower median income. The multi-generational living arrangements make it easier for spread in the home. The lower income can reduce access to healthcare. I've seen no studies that the virus attacks black or Hispanic people more harshly than others.

But overall (all races) for kids 15 and under they are more likely to die from a lightning strike than COVID. For college age an under (all races) more likely to due from seasonal influenza than COVID. So yes, the reason traveling sports continued is that they didn't do testing. That is my point. Why are we testing an age range (college and under)? Test those who are symptomatic. Have coaches practice social distancing. If necessary, have coaches and players on separate planes or buses for travel.

I don't think a college FB season will happen as long as the standard is no sports if any positive tests. That is not possible. Even after a vaccine, there will still be cases.
Yeah, from what I’ve seen the reasons minorities have had worse outcomes with the virus have to do with things like pre-existing conditions (obesity, diabetes, heart disease, combined with living and working arrangements where social distancing is hard). Most of the minority football players are world class athletes so this doesn’t apply. If anything, we should be concerned about all of Wisconsin’s 340lb linemen who are mostly white midwestern kids.

Last edited:
A few games is better than nothing at all for us fans, but is it worth risking the lives of college aged kids, albiet a very minimal amount may be affected. What if it is Trevor Lawrence that gets it bad and has heart conditions the rest of his life? What if it is a Hawkeye that this happens too? What of Lamar Jackson gets it bad and can't play again? What if just 1 head coach dies....
Isn't the bigger question whether students and student athletes should be on campus period? Say they cancel the season but still have classes. Without football, could it be possible that more student athletes will get exposed? No football, no monitoring, no reason to be careful?

Not to be morbid but not playing football doesn't guarantee a healthy year. Players, students, faculity, and coaches will be at risk regardless of football. If you want to prevent illnesses and possible death, you need to shutdown colleges, right?

Just stepping back on campus is a risk. Right? If a permanent health condition happens due to on or off field exposure, does it matter?

Isn't the bigger question whether students and student athletes should be on campus period? Say they cancel the season but still have classes. Without football, could it be possible that more student athletes will get exposed? No football, no monitoring, no reason to be careful?

Not to be morbid but not playing football doesn't guarantee a healthy year. Players, students, faculity, and coaches will be at risk regardless of football. If you want to prevent illnesses and possible death, you need to shutdown colleges, right?

Just stepping back on campus is a risk. Right? If a permanent health condition happens due to on or off field exposure, does it matter?

It is pretty easy to go remote learning in college, which will happen if cases get higher in those cities.

When MLB and MLS have been able to play so far?

why can’t the NCAA do it? Aside from the fact that football has more rostered players exposing them to risk. On the other hand a large roster gives more available players for roster spots.
As a Cardinals fan, today's announcement of a new player with Covid is concerning. Yes, you can blame the players for the initial infection and spread, but after that the team followed the guidelines of quarantine and testing. They got cleared and made it until 12 hours before their next game and bam another case. If not a false positive, it seems the quarantine period is too short.

How does this work in football? Night before the game someone tests positive. Then what? MLB says cancel the next handful of games. This won't work for football. Getting 100% negative test results including no false positives doesn't seem possible in college football so the MLB protocol won't work.

I want football more then anything but I don't see any non-bubble formula be 100% successful.

It is pretty easy to go remote learning in college, which will happen if cases get higher in those cities.
Isn't it too late to wait for cases to spike? Mid to late September could/will be a mess.

This whole thing sucks. No easy answers and nothing will please everyone.

Where are you getting this info?

Isn't it too late to wait for cases to spike? Mid to late September could/will be a mess.

This whole thing sucks. No easy answers and nothing will please everyone.
No, because we haven't had school or college kids together since march. Some have been together, but not like it was before. When that happens cases will spike. The cases have spiked in areas where people get together, this is common knowledge. And it is not pessimism, it is reality.

No, because we haven't had school or college kids together since march. Some have been together, but not like it was before. When that happens cases will spike. The cases have spiked in areas where people get together, this is common knowledge. And it is not pessimism, it is reality.
Not following. If there is a guarantee for covid spikes when classes resume, which we agree on, how is college football going to deal with this this spike if the players are not in a bubble? The season will be barely underway and positive tests will spike. Regardless of a person's feelings on the virus, this will be an issue and going to remote learning only slows the spread.

Wouldn't it be better to start with remote learning now ands gradually introduce students back to in person classes? Not sure if location matters either. Only takes one person to spread this thing and it will do the rest. Dorms, bars, and house parties will spread this like crazy.

Reactions: Underscore2
colleges are giving on campus learning a try simply for economic reasons (the same reason they are giving football a try) ie enrollments will drop if they are strictly online. i think most faculty feel that the shit will hit the fan when students return and we will return to remote learning just like in the spring.

Not following. If there is a guarantee for covid spikes when classes resume, which we agree on, how is college football going to deal with this this spike if the players are not in a bubble? The season will be barely underway and positive tests will spike. Regardless of a person's feelings on the virus, this will be an issue and going to remote learning only slows the spread.

Wouldn't it be better to start with remote learning now ands gradually introduce students back to in person classes? Not sure if location matters either. Only takes one person to spread this thing and it will do the rest. Dorms, bars, and house parties will spread this like crazy.

I agree with you, i am just saying that when cases spike and the county gets above a certain percentage then they will shut down.

How many games has MLB already had to postpone not even 2 weeks into the season? Some teams only got thru one series before having to pump the brakes.
MLB has 2 teams suspending games. St Louis Cardinals and Miami Marlins. Miami Marllins are back to playing.

2 Teams out of how many?? We need to stop being negative nellies and look at the positive side of things. Positive people make it thru tough times.

Reactions: haw-key
Because positive tests have been set as the standard when the standard should be symptomatic vs. asymptomatic and/or hospitalizations. When the standard is positive tests, and it is impossible to prevent every player from getting the virus, people doubt having a season.
So you want college players to be hospitalized before it is taken seriously enough by schools to stop playing?

Last edited:

Actually to play sports or attend college once there is a vaccine it will probably be mandatory for students. And it has been proven if people actually take flu shots it lowers severity of symptoms and frequency of hospital visits.

It is reasonable to think you have the shot the protocol will be different vs if you dont

Why did they die?......How did they die?.......Where did they get the virus?

Good game, though.
Dying isn’t the only drawback. Kids are also developing respiratory issues that they aren’t recovering from. There is also reports of brain damage in kids, so the argument that kids don’t die from the virus is missing whole effects of C19.

Last edited:
Dying isn’t the only drawback. Kids are also developing respiratory issues that kids aren’t recovering. There is also reports of brain damage in kids, so the argument that kids don’t die from the virus is missing whole effects of C19.
And kids who return for their senior season instead of going pro could also risk getting hurt......of course playing sports also means risking injury and/or possibly death. Remember how concussion fears were gonna shut down football? Yeah, I don't either.......;)

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
And kids who return for their senior season instead of going pro could also risk getting hurt......of course playing sports also means risking injury and/or possibly death. Remember how concussion fears were gonna shut down football? Yeah, I don't either.......;)
I get it. You want fb. I do as well, but I’ll be surprised it happens.

Dying isn’t the only drawback. Kids are also developing respiratory issues that they aren’t recovering from. There is also reports of brain damage in kids, so the argument that kids don’t die from the virus is missing whole effects of C19.
But what if they get it outside football? They cancel the season and get it anyway. Without football active, treatment and diagnosis be less. Hence, my comment if you want to fully protect players and students, colleges must go online only which isn't happening. So the question becomes do you want to get covid trying to play football or get covid going to classes, parties, bars, etc?

If you're setting foot back on campus, you're opening yourself up to more opportunities to get the virus regardless of football. Right? At that point does it matter if you got it playing football or at a house party?

The more I think about it, if I had a kid in college I'd rather have them under the umbrella of a active sports program then the general population. At least the athletes will get diagnosis and treatment early.

MLB has 2 teams suspending games. St Louis Cardinals and Miami Marlins. Miami Marllins are back to playing.

2 Teams out of how many?? We need to stop being negative nellies and look at the positive side of things. Positive people make it thru tough times.
What's disturbing is the Cardinals having 3 positives several days after being cleared. There a flaw in the mlb plan.

Time will tell if the Cardinals are just horrible following the guidelines or if the othe teams are just lucky so far. Either way, if the virus gets in your bubble, its a mess to eliminate it.

Please tell me this isn't a serious post, please tell me your not this silly.

2 teams, but Yankees, Phillies, Cubs, Tigers and others have had to cancel games because of thsoe two teams.

And baseball is a vastly different spot than football and baseball is on the brink of shutting down again. Baseball at the professional level involves far fewer players than college football, it has far more money than any colllege football program and baseball is a sport that can practice without touching another person. Can you say the same for football?

It's not being a negative nelly, it's not being a dumb***

Reactions: littlez
What's disturbing is the Cardinals having 3 positives several days after being cleared. There a flaw in the mlb plan.

Time will tell if the Cardinals are just horrible following the guidelines or if the othe teams are just lucky so far. Either way, if the virus gets in your bubble, its a mess to eliminate it.

MLB doesn't have a bubble. Players go to their homes and families when playing at home. On the road they are in hotels and encouraged to stay at the hotel and not leave.

MLB doesn't have a bubble. Players go to their homes and families when playing at home. On the road they are in hotels and encouraged to stay at the hotel and not leave.
Correct, mlb is not a true bubble just like college football will not be a true bubble.

However my point was the team was locked down tight in a hotel in Milwaukee for several days after testing positive before cleared for travel. Then 2 days later had 3 more positives.

I can't imagine the players and staff being sloppy after being trapped in a hotel room, isolated, for 4+ days.

The MLB plan despite having 28 of 30 teams playing, is only 50% successful getting an infected team back on the field. That has to a concern for football. Maybe the Cardinals are just that sloppy. Time will tell.

Where are you getting this info?

The CDC finally started publishing stratified data for COVID by age. for the 15-24 age group in the U.S., a total of 225 deaths "with" COVID (that is a loose term). In the same timeframe, more than 16,000 persons in the 15-24 age group have died. so the COVID deaths are 1.4% of the deaths in the age group during that time.

The last year the CDC has published detailed breakdown of deaths by age and cause was for 2018. In that year, for the ages 15-24, nearly 12,500 persons died from unintentional injuries, 6211 from suicides, 4607 from homicides, 1371 from malignant neoplasms (basically cancer), 905 from heart disease, 354 from congenital abnormalities (I don't know what that is exactly), 200 from influenza, 246 from diabetes, then goes down from there. In the unintentional injuries category, individual causes are motor vehicle accidents (6,308), 3,675 from poisoning (I assume that means drug overdoses), 431 from drownings, 152 from falls and then down from there.

https://webappa.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe

This data is readily available and took me all of 15 minutes to access. This is not to say that virus isn't serious, it is. Especially for older persons. But colleges and schools should be opened. It is very comparable in terms of impact to seasonal influenza to persons ages 15-24. For those 14 and under, seasonal influenza is much more serious. In 2018, 244 persons in the U.S. 14 or under died from influenza. There have been 45 kids 14 and under who have died from COVID in the entire country.

Just based on the data, it makes zero sense for us to not have schools and colleges open.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
The same people who push the fear are the same people who make the decisions on the football season. It's like having the president count the votes. Or having the printing press that prints the money

Not remembering could be due to post concussion issues

The CDC finally started publishing stratified data for COVID by age. for the 15-24 age group in the U.S., a total of 225 deaths "with" COVID (that is a loose term). In the same timeframe, more than 16,000 persons in the 15-24 age group have died. so the COVID deaths are 1.4% of the deaths in the age group during that time.

The last year the CDC has published detailed breakdown of deaths by age and cause was for 2018. In that year, for the ages 15-24, nearly 12,500 persons died from unintentional injuries, 6211 from suicides, 4607 from homicides, 1371 from malignant neoplasms (basically cancer), 905 from heart disease, 354 from congenital abnormalities (I don't know what that is exactly), 200 from influenza, 246 from diabetes, then goes down from there. In the unintentional injuries category, individual causes are motor vehicle accidents (6,308), 3,675 from poisoning (I assume that means drug overdoses), 431 from drownings, 152 from falls and then down from there.

https://webappa.cdc.gov/cgi-bin/broker.exe

This data is readily available and took me all of 15 minutes to access. This is not to say that virus isn't serious, it is. Especially for older persons. But colleges and schools should be opened. It is very comparable in terms of impact to seasonal influenza to persons ages 15-24. For those 14 and under, seasonal influenza is much more serious. In 2018, 244 persons in the U.S. 14 or under died from influenza. There have been 45 kids 14 and under who have died from COVID in the entire country.

Just based on the data, it makes zero sense for us to not have schools and colleges open.
Why isn’t this everywhere.

160k dead and counting in a little over six months. That is pretty easy to understand. At this rate, it will be over a quarter million dead in under a year. Again, pretty easy to understand.
160k while "trying" to prevent deaths....some if us at least

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT