ADVERTISEMENT

Why does Connor or any one that can't shoot play?

illhawkdvv

HR MVP
Sep 10, 2008
Why does Connor or any other person that can be left alone and not guarded be allowed to see playing time for the hawks? Even the announcers were bringing it up that a defender would leave a defender and drop back and block a shot because they could leave a player that they didn't fear shooting the three. In my mind if a player is so bad shooting the three he can't draw attention he shouldn't be on scholarship. Sorry to be that cruel but it's true.

You mean no one has a reply to why this young man or anyone that can't be a threat to shoot is playing. In 95 views no one has replied with a reason they thought he deserved to be playing minutes.

Reactions: michael.nelson311
Jon millers recent podcast talks about where Connor stacks up over the last 8 or so years in d1 basketball.
one of the worst 39 shooters to play guard as a senior out of like 7,000.
I will also argue the passing thing. Announcers take notes from other announcers and the coach. I think we can agree fran is not objective with his boys. It’s a lot easier to pass when no one is up in your grill. The cushion he is given makes it easier to pass. Yes he’s a decent passer. Most are throwing to garza. An assist to turnover ratio will be crazy good when you pass to one of the best post players ever and get to throw to shooters that are concerned with garza and no one is worried about guarding you. Connors stats are a mirage.

It's not cruel to point this out but who has Fran played that is anywhere close to as bad of a shooter as his son? You probably won't get a lot of answers to your question because it's an obvious one and a dead horse topic for years now. N-E-P-O-T-I-S-M. It's very clear Connors feelings are much more important than the rest of the team and fans and that's why I'm out of respect for Fran (had been running on fumes since the OSU tunnel tirade suspension). He's an embarrassment and so is firstborn when he's trying to imitate daddy

The one positive is that after Connor leaves likely after next year Fran probably won't allow such a horrible shooter on the team unless Jack is that bad. So we got that going for us..... which is nice😂.....

It's not cruel to point this out but who has Fran played that is anywhere close to as bad of a shooter as his son? You probably won't get a lot of answers to your question because it's an obvious one and a dead horse topic for years now. N-E-P-O-T-I-S-M. It's very clear Connors feelings are much more important than the rest of the team and fans and that's why I'm out of respect for Fran (had been running on fumes since the OSU tunnel tirade suspension). He's an embarrassment and so is firstborn when he's trying to imitate daddy

The one positive is that after Connor leaves likely after next year Fran probably won't allow such a horrible shooter on the team unless Jack is that bad. So we got that going for us..... which is nice😂.....
Josh ogelsby. Take out his 2-3 best games and he was down there.

Connor's minutes may be nepotism but it probably isn't conscious.

Everyone has talked themselves into a good idea that other people think is nuts. Connor plays hard, is tough and grabs a lot of loose balls or creates loose balls. Play Peyton, at least he'll make it harder to double team Keegan, Kris and Patrick. Connor's man is a free safety. Purdue showed you can get by not guarding Connor at all. That's a net negative that outweighs everything else Connor does.

Last edited:

Everyone has talked themselves into a good idea that other people think is nuts. Connor plays hard, is tough and grabs a lot of loose balls or creates loose balls. Play Peyton, at least he'll make it harder to double team Keegan, Kris and Patrick. Connor's man is a free safety. Purdue showed you can get by not guarding Connor at all. That's a next negative that outweighs everything else Connor does.
Good post. Did you catch the post game for the PSU game? The game Connor did absolutely zero. Fran said how great he was. I think he was the 3rd guy he mentioned. Connor could foul out with 0 points and give up 10 blow by dunks and Fran would say he played great. Connor is making me miss Dom Uhl and Bakari Evelyn--give him credit for that I guess.

Reactions: michael.nelson311

Everyone has talked themselves into a good idea that other people think is nuts. Connor plays hard, is tough and grabs a lot of loose balls or creates loose balls. Play Peyton, at least he'll make it harder to double team Keegan, Kris and Patrick. Connor's man is a free safety. Purdue showed you can get by not guarding Connor at all. That's a next negative that outweighs everything else Connor does.
Bingo.

If Connor can't make the wide open 3 from the top of the key he simply can't be on the court anymore.

It has litteraly, (and I don't use that word incorrectly) become 4 on 5 on the offensive end.

Fran obviously sees this but I don't think he'll be able to acknowledge it.

Jon millers recent podcast talks about where Connor stacks up over the last 8 or so years in d1 basketball.
one of the worst 39 shooters to play guard as a senior out of like 7,000.
I will also argue the passing thing. Announcers take notes from other announcers and the coach. I think we can agree fran is not objective with his boys. It’s a lot easier to pass when no one is up in your grill. The cushion he is given makes it easier to pass. Yes he’s a decent passer. Most are throwing to garza. An assist to turnover ratio will be crazy good when you pass to one of the best post players ever and get to throw to shooters that are concerned with garza and no one is worried about guarding you. Connors stats are a mirage.
I don’t normally agree much with Jon Miller anymore, but he hit the nail on the head with Connor.

One of the worst 39 shooters to play guard out of about 7,000. Think about that. I’m sure he is a good kid, but he should never get more than 5 minutes playing time per game.

Reactions: HawkLogic
I don’t normally agree much with Jon Miller anymore, but he hit the nail on the head with Connor.

One of the worst 39 shooters to play guard out of about 7,000. Think about that. I’m sure he is a good kid, but he should never get more than 5 minutes playing time per game.

Fran himself had a terrible shooting percentage as a player...got bounced out of ACC and then stunk at Penn.....so I think self bias...i.e. Fran seeing himself as a good player even though he was terrible is part of the problem. Fran shot 33% from field at Penn and was 55% FT shooter. CMAC is Fran's mini me.

Fran knows Connor is struggling on the offensive end and plays him as much as he can, so when Connor does make a 3 he can say see this is why I play Connor....makes sense to me.😵

Good post. Did you catch the post game for the PSU game? The game Connor did absolutely zero. Fran said how great he was. I think he was the 3rd guy he mentioned. Connor could foul out with 0 points and give up 10 blow by dunks and Fran would say he played great. Connor is making me miss Dom Uhl and Bakari Evelyn--give him credit for that I guess.
It’s like after Maryland game when connor played last 12 min and he sat joet final 8 who was having a great game. In post game presser Fran goes out of his way on a ? To praise connor for “directing” the zone D. Just came across kind of pathetic he went out of his way to praise and justify his decision to play him when he did. Thing is be one thing if connor was a lockdown defender, a beast on the boards but he’s a 6’5 combo guard who can’t shoot, can’t beat his man of the dribble and just so so at best for any other attribute he brings to the floor. Let’s be honest if he had any other last name he’d be sitting next to Ash on the bench the whole game.

sure will be more threads and discussed but if Fran keeps playing connor minutes he does with same production fran deserves to keep getting ripped apart until the end of the season.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974

Everyone has talked themselves into a good idea that other people think is nuts. Connor plays hard, is tough and grabs a lot of loose balls or creates loose balls. Play Peyton, at least he'll make it harder to double team Keegan, Kris and Patrick. Connor's man is a free safety. Purdue showed you can get by not guarding Connor at all. That's a net negative that outweighs everything else Connor does.
One thing I’d argue on this is who doesn’t play hard on the team? maybe minus Patrick’s effort on the boards. Also being tough ok he doesn’t back down to other players but is he showing toughness on D and rebounding where it matters. I question that because I argue against the loose balls grabbed and created based off his rebounding and steal statistics alone. Connor one positive is being able to guard multiple positions but overall is an avg defender at best.

that is incorrect statement.
And you’d be wrong. He was as historically bad. I went through the numbers when he played. Outside of a couple games he was one of the worst “great shooters”!to ever play college basketball. He was a career 32% from 3. He had like 3 games that skewed that number up. Connor is a career 28% 3 pt shooter. Josh ogelsby is right there.

At this point, I just don't understand why people even bother posting the same crap over and over and over....
I think we all agree that McCaffery has a huge blind spot in regard to who starts and how many minutes the members of the squad play. And I mean everybody. I don't see anyone defending playing JBo 25 minutes a game. I don't see anyone justifying playing Connor playing 16 minutes a game. And even Coach Painter remarked on the fact that he wondered why the Murrays weren't on the floor together more.
This board has gotten so depressing reading the same "cut and paste" posts. At this point I feel we Iowa Basketball fans are being held hostage by McCaffery's inability to adjust to reality. It reminds me of Ferentz playing Vandenberg at QB every down in a losing season.

Why does Connor or any other person that can be left alone and not guarded be allowed to see playing time for the hawks? Even the announcers were bringing it up that a defender would leave a defender and drop back and block a shot because they could leave a player that they didn't fear shooting the three. In my mind if a player is so bad shooting the three he can't draw attention he shouldn't be on scholarship. Sorry to be that cruel but it's true.

Scoring the ball is important for everyone else to play other than Connor.

It’s like after Maryland game when connor played last 12 min and he sat joet final 8 who was having a great game. In post game presser Fran goes out of his way on a ? To praise connor for “directing” the zone D. Just came across kind of pathetic he went out of his way to praise and justify his decision to play him when he did. Thing is be one thing if connor was a lockdown defender, a beast on the boards but he’s a 6’5 combo guard who can’t shoot, can’t beat his man of the dribble and just so so at best for any other attribute he brings to the floor. Let’s be honest if he had any other last name he’d be sitting next to Ash on the bench the whole game.

sure will be more threads and discussed but if Fran keeps playing connor minutes he does with same production fran deserves to keep getting ripped apart until the end of the season.
Yes that is when it became crystal clear how Fran views the situation. Fran is just looking for ways to justify why he's playing that much rather than just playing the best guys. It's insulting to offer crap about "he knows where everyone should be" or "he's a winner." Those are unfalsifiable claims as there is no way to prove them, or more importantly, to disprove them. Yes, it is repetitive to read the same messages over and over here. But it is entirely Fran's issue, not the fans.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
that is incorrect statement.
Josh had a terrible slump as a senior but made 146 threes on a career average of .324. Career high was .403 as a junior. Connor has made 62 on a career average of .284, 33 of which came in 1 season (19-20). In Connor's other 4 seasons he's 29-121.

Connor couldn't make 146 threes if you locked him the gym for a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: RocknRollface
Josh had a terrible slump as a senior but made 146 threes on a career average of .324. Career high was .403 as a junior. Connor has made 62 on a career average of .284, 33 of which came in 1 season (19-20). In Connor's other 4 seasons he's 29-121.

Connor couldn't make 146 threes if you locked him the gym for a week.
%’s matter. Connor is bad and like I said outside a few games Josh was right there. Says a lot.

At this point, I just don't understand why people even bother posting the same crap over and over and over....
I think we all agree that McCaffery has a huge blind spot in regard to who starts and how many minutes the members of the squad play. And I mean everybody. I don't see anyone defending playing JBo 25 minutes a game. I don't see anyone justifying playing Connor playing 16 minutes a game. And even Coach Painter remarked on the fact that he wondered why the Murrays weren't on the floor together more.
This board has gotten so depressing reading the same "cut and paste" posts. At this point I feel we Iowa Basketball fans are being held hostage by McCaffery's inability to adjust to reality. It reminds me of Ferentz playing Vandenberg at QB every down in a losing season.
I agree with everything but the Vandenberg dig...look at the kids stats his junior year with KOK.

This is what he has to do if they're not going to guard him.

Doesn't have to make this many but he has to shoot them.

Im happy for the kid.

Reactions: isuisshit
The way they are hitting 3's in this game, I am beginning to wonder if the rims are a larger diameter there!

ADVERTISEMENT