ADVERTISEMENT

Why does the State of Iowa allow old people to drive?

Arbitr8

HB Legend
May 13, 2009
Lewis Township
I witnessed an old man 80+ years of age drive up the exit ramp on I-80 yesterday, thankfully Mr. Death Wish got stopped and turned around prior to heading west in the eastbound lane. This brings up the question when is it too old be driving? Personally anyone over 70 should need to have a complete physical examination yearly in order to keep their driving privileges. At age 80 you can longer drive.

Save a life take a cab.

1234168_10153126229085109_812520978_n.png

Because they have drivers licenses?

I get your point, even if you are about to spring an MSN article on us. Keep in mind that Iowa is a state with a lot of old people and very little in the way of public transit. Old people need things like groceries and medications. Their old legs may not be as good at walking that mile, five miles, ten miles, as yours are.

I agree the old dude had no business on I-80. He will probably (hopefully) lose his license. Guys like Lone Clone should stick to the back roads and streets, where the worst damage they can do is ding the occasional parked car or mailbox.

Originally posted by rchawk:
Because they have drivers licenses?

I get your point, even if you are about to spring an MSN article on us. Keep in mind that Iowa is a state with a lot of old people and very little in the way of public transit. Old people need things like groceries and medications. Their old legs may not be as good at walking that mile, five miles, ten miles, as yours are.

I agree the old dude had no business on I-80. He will probably (hopefully) lose his license. Guys like Lone Clone should stick to the back roads and streets, where the worst damage they can do is ding the occasional parked car or mailbox.
My life should not be placed in danger just because of lack of public transportation. Let them purchase their meds online and have it shipped through the mail. Have a relative take them to the store, nobody over the age of 80 has any business behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle.

Pursuit of Happiness. Driving gives the elderly some independence. Why don't you want old people to have dignity in their twilight?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:
Pursuit of Happiness. Driving gives the elderly some independence. Why don't you want old people to have dignity in their twilight?

Pa Kettle wiping out a family of 4 while driving the wrong way on the freeway isn't my idea of sharing dignity.

For a 75 year old person to drive around in some
of the rural towns of Iowa to get groceries is
different than an 85 year old person driving on
Interstate 80.

I believe that if a 76 to 80 year old person can
pass the driving test, then he or she is legally
able to drive.

Originally posted by Arbitr8:

I witnessed an old man 80+ years of age drive up the exit ramp on I-80 yesterday, thankfully Mr. Death Wish got stopped and turned around prior to heading west in the eastbound lane. This brings up the question when is it too old be driving? Personally anyone over 70 should need to have a complete physical examination yearly in order to keep their driving privileges. At age 80 you can longer drive.

Save a life take a cab.

1234168_10153126229085109_812520978_n.png
I will go you one better. I would require a driving test -- both written and actual -- when it was time for a renewal. For every driver, regardless of age.

Originally posted by joelbc1:
For the same reason they let you drive. I'm glad the world you envision is not the world we live in today. Your day is coming, buddyboy.
So you have no problem with 90 year old grandma who is partly blind, mostly deaf and has the reflexes of a turtle getting behind the wheel of the 73 Buick and plowing into people at the farmers market?

My Mom is 80 and her driving is downright scary now. She does live in a small town and I hope she doesn't leave the city limits. I wish family lived closer, but friends keep an eye on her and drive her to out-of-town appointments.

Originally posted by TombItMayConcern:
I am not young enough to know everything. - Oscar Wilde

Personally anyone over 70 should need to have a complete physical examination yearly in order to keep their driving privileges. At age 80 you can longer drive.

Originally posted by TombItMayConcern:
I am not young enough to know everything. - Oscar Wilde

Personally anyone over 70 should need to have a complete physical examination yearly in order to keep their driving privileges. At age 80 you can longer drive.
That's as ridiculous as it is unconstitutional.

Make everybody pass a test every time they renew. Solves the problem without being discriminatory.

I am not suggesting there is no problem with older people driving. I think there's no doubt that a lot of people continue to drive when they shouldn't. On the other hand, a lot of older people are better drivers than younger ones. More experienced, less likely to be distracted by texting, phoning, and less apt to suffer road rage.

Get the bad drivers off the road. If an inordinate proportion of the banned drivers are old -- as I suspect would be the case -- then so be it.

For the same reason they let you drive. I'm glad the world you envision is not the world we live in today. Your day is coming, buddyboy.
So you have no problem with 90 year old grandma who is partly blind, mostly deaf and has the reflexes of a turtle getting behind the wheel of the 73 Buick and plowing into people at the farmers market?
To be downright cold Arb....."shit happens!" When it's your turn Arb, it's your turn. Think about those 149 folks who climbed on board that plane in Spain earlier this week.
I also find it disturbing to see a 20-30 something buzzing down a busy street with a cellphone hanging from his/her ear. Don't see to many "seniors" driving this way. But I am sure I am incorrect and you will correct me.

To be downright cold Arb....."shit happens!" When it's your turn Arb, it's your turn. Think about those 149 folks who climbed on board that plane in Spain earlier this week.
I also find it disturbing to see a 20-30 something buzzing down a busy street with a cellphone hanging from his/her ear. Don't see to many "seniors" driving this way. But I am sure I am incorrect and you will correct me.
In that case I'm sure you have the same attitude regarding gun control ( shit happens, when it's your turn it's your turn).

A guy got turned around a bit mentally and you blame it on his age?

This rush-to-judgement nonsense has to stop. I am seeing more of all the time, and in all aspects of all things. People spend more time blaming than moving forward in life.

I am sure there is much more to the story of that situation than we will know.

And lest you forget:

Driving is a right, not a privilege.
[/B]

This post was edited on 3/29 5:40 PM by Titus Andronicus

Originally posted by Titus Andronicus:

A guy got turned around a bit mentally and you blame it on his age?

This rush-to-judgement nonsense has to stop. I am seeing more of all the time, and in all aspects of all things. People spend more time blaming than moving forward in life.

I am sure there is much more to the story of that situation than we will know.

And lest you forget:

[/B]

This post was edited on 3/29 5:40 PM by Titus Andronicus
Actually you got it wrong, look at any drivers manual and it clearly states driving is a privilege not a right.

Anyone over 80 should have their license and car confiscated by the local authorities.

Anyone over 70 should have to undergo a mental/physical examination on a yearly basis in order to keep their license.

Insurance and vehicle registration should be triple for anyone over 70.

This post was edited on 3/29 5:49 PM by Arbitr8

In that case I'm sure you have the same attitude regarding gun control ( shit happens, when it's your turn it's your turn).
Arb...when I think about all the "John Law's" out there with weapons, it does help me cope. I try and not think about it though. But in my heart of hearts, it worries me about knowing who might have guns, legally. And if I get shot by one.....so be it. I guess I'm a small price to pay for your Second Amendment right to carry.

Arb...when I think about all the "John Law's" out there with weapons, it does help me cope. I try and not think about it though. But in my heart of hearts, it worries me about knowing who might have guns, legally. And if I get shot by one.....so be it. I guess I'm a small price to pay for your Second Amendment right to carry.
But, but shit happens right?

Didn't I answer this already....twice? Yes. I am a firm believer in the "shit happens" theory of life and death. It is different from "predestination" in that "shit happens" is two words and "predestination" is one word. I use "shit happens" thought when I think of all the morons running out there living their Second Amendment rights. To think one of these yahoos running around out there might plug me is a bit disconcerting, especially if it is my destiny to die that way. I would have hoped God, Allah Buddah or whoever the Great One is out there might have had a better plan for me.

I realize you're just being (are?) a silly putz, but I'm 71, have driven way over a million miles with one modest, unavoidable accident (dark winter night, deer ran full bore from my rear left right in front of me). I lived in SF so have driven a lot in heavy, rush hour traffic with no accidents. My last traffic ticket (speeding when the speed limit was 55 on the interstate) was about thirty years ago. I don't put along; do 75 on the interstate. Don't need glasses, on no meds. So... I should pay three times your registration and insurance? Let's hear your driving record. I personally think, with your bombastic personality (or is it pseudo-personality?) that you should have yearly testing for stability and judgement.

70? this isn't the 1600's. 70 is pretty young and I know numerous people 70+ working challenging full time jobs.

I do agree that physical testing should be required. but I'm not sure that an 85 year old is any more dangerous than a 17 year old. plenty of dumbasses of all ages end up driving the wrong way on exit ramps.

Didn't I answer this already....twice? Yes. I am a firm believer in the "shit happens" theory of life and death. It is different from "predestination" in that "shit happens" is two words and "predestination" is one word. I use "shit happens" thought when I think of all the morons running out there living their Second Amendment rights. To think one of these yahoos running around out there might plug me is a bit disconcerting, especially if it is my destiny to die that way. I would have hoped God, Allah Buddah or whoever the Great One is out there might have had a better plan for me.
You're 20 x more likely to die in a car accident than to get shot by a legally carrying gun owner but by all means continue with your liberal biased rant.

I have seen many more close calls and stupidity behind the wheel with young drivers. Should we make people be 18 before they drive?

Arb...when I think about all the "John Law's" out there with weapons, it does help me cope. I try and not think about it though.  But in my heart of hearts, it worries me about  knowing who might have guns, legally. And if I get shot by one.....so be it. I guess I'm a small price to pay for your Second Amendment right to carry. 
Didn't I answer this already....twice? Yes. I am a firm believer in the "shit happens" theory of life and death. It is different from "predestination" in that "shit happens" is two words and "predestination" is one word. I use "shit happens" thought when I think of all the morons running out there living their Second Amendment rights.  To think one of these yahoos running around out there might plug me is a bit disconcerting, especially if it is my destiny to die that way. I would have hoped God, Allah Buddah or whoever the Great One is out there might have had a better plan for me. 
You're 20 x more likely to die in a car accident than to get shot by a legally carrying gun owner but by all means continue with your liberal biased rant.

Why are you so incredibly lazy? Stop stroking off MSN for a couple dollars per day and actually do something about it.

What are you doing to change this (other than whining on here about it?

The last accident I read about involving a guy driving the wrong way on a freeway was last week and it happened in NYC.

A 27 year old New York City policeman who was drunk. Two of his buddies were killed, but he might make it.

... My conclusion after reading this was that he likely was too young to drive and certainly way too young to drink and drive.

This should only be a right belonging to people above 50 or so. Some of these old guys can sit in a tavern for many hours at a time and still they are able to walk to their cars.

My point is that as you get older and more mature, and accordingly more wise, you should be awarded new rights ... not sit back helplessly watching them being taken away. For starters, they could perhaps raise the BAC standard applied to older drinkers who like to drive themselves home.

Originally posted by Titus Andronicus:

[/B]
Actually you got it wrong, look at any drivers manual and it clearly states driving is a privilege not a
right ... Arbitr8

I tend not to consult bureaucrats and especially not the manual-writing class of bureaucrats, for guidelines on how to organize my view of the world. I have noticed that they usually get things wrong, as is evident in this example.

This post was edited on 3/30 8:15 AM by Titus Andronicus

Originally posted by 1inamillion:
I have seen many more close calls and stupidity behind the wheel with young drivers. Should we make people be 18 before they drive?
Actually yes, the graduated license system failed miserably.

Young people make poor decisions. That is more societies fault than theirs. If you treat young people like infants, they won't learn responsibility. Age itself isn't the issue. The average fourteen year old a century ago had more responsibility and accountability and maturity than the average 24 year old today. Raising the age for any responsibility does nothing except delay maturation.

On the other hand, with age comes very real physical changes. First, the senses go: Hearing and vision, then reaction time and eventual memory and the mind itself. While it doesn't effect everyone at the same time, the symptoms of age are real and almost universally unavoidable. Even the most responsible and most physically fit senior eventually becomes a hazard driving

To discriminate against the young while protecting the old is both illogical and ignorant. There is one reason why we do so and it is simply the fact that old people vote (in droves) and 16 year olds can't.

In Florida we have had a huge issue with seniors driving. From a group of cyclists mowed down to a pedestrian hit and carried miles stuck in the windshield of a seniors car to an old lady who's drove into the dmv (literally parked her car in the lobby) and somehow still got her license renewed and countless times of, "I hit the brakes, but the car accelerated into the restaurant), it's downright ugly.

I agree with the poster above that driving is a right, not a privilege, but we must maintain some reason here. If we aren't letting kids drive, than we by all means need to cut off seniors when the time comes as well.

The yougins are much scarier. Old people are easy to avoid and usually just conjure up some f bombs to hurry the F up until one realizes they're old.

We should take Obama's lead and let em die.Be sure that that mentally ill and handicapped get minimal consideration so they don't harm people and create a master race.Make Obama a dictator and we can have a perfect nanny state.We have way too much freedom in this country.No more sugar in foods.Get rid of fastfood,football,diving boards,polevaulting,skydiving etc.Sounds like utopia to me!!!!!

I have a problem with your example but your talking about the exception not the rule. After a certain age(say 80) I do think a person should have an actual drivers test more often(maybe annually) but aging is different in ever person and many older people can drive perfectly fine

would love to see a perfectly capable arbit get his license denied when is 80!!!

Originally posted by aflachawk:
I have a problem with your example but your talking about the exception not the rule. After a certain age(say 80) I do think a person should have an actual drivers test more often(maybe annually) but aging is different in ever person and many older people can drive perfectly fine
Define "driver's test" please.
Is your idea of "driver's test" practical or written? Every couple of years, a "practical" seems feasible......but then in a state like Iowa, you'll have to hire a bunch of personnel to accommodate this idea. And we know one thing about Terry, ....He doesn't want to increase the size of government.
If you want to cull the number of driver's in Iowa, require a written test every couple of years for all drivers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT