ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn't Iowa claim the 1921 and 1922 National Titles?

His Hawkness

HR All-American
Gold Member
May 5, 2003
They went undefeated both seasons and I read where it says that the official NCAA record book counts them as national champs, but that Iowa doesn't recognize it as national title seasons. Anybody know the reason?

Nothing before the BCS should be recognized. There are some years that there where 3 or more school claiming the title. When a bunch of cigar smoking newsmen get to decide who is the best football team....nope. Illinois is another school that puts up the early 1900's championships...silly honestly

Nothing before the BCS should be recognized. There are some years that there where 3 or more school claiming the title. When a bunch of cigar smoking newsmen get to decide who is the best football team....nope. Illinois is another school that puts up the early 1900's championships...silly honestly

Not saying it isn't silly, but if other schools are doing it and the NCAA record book recognizes, then why shouldn't Iowa?

You do realize that we'd have to put the entire population of Nebraska on suicide watch, right? Ain't nobody got time for that!

NCAA recognizes Cornell for 1921 and Princeton, California and Cornell for 1922. Iowa and LSU can argue over 1958 although LSU received the AP and UPI vote in 1958.

Reactions: kimaniismyffriend
NCAA recognizes Cornell for 1921 and Princeton, California and Cornell for 1922. Iowa and LSU can argue over 1958 although LSU received the AP and UPI vote in 1958.

Iowa was voted #1 in the only poll after bowl games were played in 1958. LSU beat Clemson 7-0 and Iowa beat Cal 38-12. I think it's fair to count that season as a national championship despite not winning the AP or UPI vote.

Knew this couldn't go on without a Nebraska mention! Here's a thought, let's have another Nebraska thread. Those are awsome!

Don't flatter yourself or the program you admire. Just because Nebraska is mentioned doesn't mean anyone posting here GAF about ya.

In 1921 there were 5 teams that were recognized in some capacity as national champions, including Iowa.

Iowa had a very good argument and was probably the most historically decorated of those teams with California right behind.

It would've been interesting had Iowa and Cal played in the Rose Bowl that year. Back then Big Ten schools still didn't accept postseason play.

Thus, an undefeated California (which was an unbeaten powerhouse for several years in that era) tied a now-defunct Washington & Jefferson College (who was also unbeaten and one of the 5 teams that garnered national title recognition), 0-0 in the 1922 Rose Bowl.

I say Iowa should claim the title. If Pitt claims several titles from the same source that gave Iowa the 1921 title, then I say go for it.

Is there a link where the NCAA lists this? If not the hateful braska fan has scoreboard on this one.

Not saying it isn't silly, but if other schools are doing it and the NCAA record book recognizes, then why shouldn't Iowa?
It is like Nebbie putting ON THEIR STADIUM the sell-oiut streak....fake success.

I agree nothing wrong with stating the facts. It has always seemed weird to me they didn't

My bad thought H8 in your name stood for hate. Translate for a slow Iowan please?
I would never presume you're slow, I choose not to be defined by a message board id. The real questions are, why does cocoem care about a sell out streak and its legitimacy? Why bring it up in a thread about football NCs? Does he/she have a link or any proof the streak is "fake" news?

"The real questions are, why does cocoem care about a sell out streak and its legitimacy? Why bring it up in a thread about football NCs"?
Because that's what people on message boards do!!

Research[edit]
College football historian Parke H. Davis is the only selector considered by the NCAA to have primarily used research in his selections.[6]:107–109 Davis did all of his work in 1933, naming retroactive national champions for most of the years from 1869 to 1932 while naming Michigan and Princeton (his alma mater) co-champions at the end of the 1933 season.

Selector Name Seasons
PD Parke H. Davis 1869–1870, 1872–1909, 1911–1916, 1919–1932, 1933'

This is one of them considered by the NCAA in 1921. Nothing for 1922.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

Reactions: GoHawks2009
They went undefeated both seasons and I read where it says that the official NCAA record book counts them as national champs, but that Iowa doesn't recognize it as national title seasons. Anybody know the reason?
Iowa Atheletic Department needs to put signs on the press box to honor our National Championship teams in 1921 and 1922. If Iowa does not honor our National Championship teams why should anybody else. I notice the University of Minnesota has flags honoring National Champions just a few years later in the 30s with pennants.
I fault our Atheletic Department for this negligence.

Iowa Atheletic Department needs to put signs on the press box to honor our National Championship teams in 1921 and 1922. If Iowa does not honor our National Championship teams why should anybody else. I notice the University of Minnesota has flags honoring National Champions just a few years later in the 30s with pennants.
I fault our Atheletic Department for this negligence.
Okay.

Iowa was voted #1 in the only poll after bowl games were played in 1958. LSU beat Clemson 7-0 and Iowa beat Cal 38-12. I think it's fair to count that season as a national championship despite not winning the AP or UPI vote.

It's all subjective when a vote's involved anyway, and the Football Sports Writers of America voted Iowa #1 after ALL the games were played, so I don't see how it gets any more legit than that.

Reactions: GoHawks2009
It's all subjective when a vote's involved anyway, and the Football Sports Writers of America voted Iowa #1 after ALL the games were played, so I don't see how it gets any more legit than that.
It's an officially recognized selector by the NCAA.

It just eventually combined with the other main selectors once they started voting after the postseason as well.

As a separate entity though, during that time, it was just as legitimate as the media polls.

In my opinion, what does it matter? Will recognizing them get 4 star athletes to consider us? Will it keep us from losing games on the big stage? Ancient history will not change who the Hawkeyes are today.

Reactions: The_Joker13

For the same reason Nebraska doesn't claim 1903, 1904,1913 and especially 1915 all unbeaten season and 1915 has as legit case as anyone shouting out 5 of the 8 teams with a 8-0 record.

During the 3- tenure of the Four Horseman, Notre Dame lost only 2 games, one each in 1922 and 1923 both to Nebraska.

For the same reason Nebraska doesn't claim 1903, 1904,1913 and especially 1915 all unbeaten season and 1915 has as legit case as anyone shouting out 5 of the 8 teams with a 8-0 record.

During the 3- tenure of the Four Horseman, Notre Dame lost only 2 games, one each in 1922 and 1923 both to Nebraska.

Nebraska beat Lincoln High 23-6 in 1903. Also, played Grand Island and Bellevue and it looks like some other high schools. Yep, Nebraska should claim the NC. In 1904 they beat the Lincoln Medics 29-0 and some other teams that are probably high schools. I'm pretty sure Nebraska used to play the Omaha YMCA to but not sure the year.

Nebraska beat Lincoln High 23-6 in 1903. Also, played Grand Island and Bellevue and it looks like some other high schools. Yep, Nebraska should claim the NC. In 1904 they beat the Lincoln Medics 29-0 and some other teams that are probably high schools. I'm pretty sure Nebraska used to play the Omaha YMCA to but not sure the year.

They played 3 High school teams, and to this day they don't claim wins against Lincon High. Schools like Notre Dame, USC and Texas extra, etc played high school teams and count them in their all time win total,
but back in those days ( first 30 years or so)I'm sure Iowa played high school teams or a teachers association too.

OP point in the first place is Unbeaten team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT