ADVERTISEMENT

Why don’t people explode on airplanes?

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I bought a bag of chips in Denver, and took them on my flight to Portland. Somewhere over Wyoming I reached down for the chips and the bag had puffed up.
Why don’t our guts swell up and explode?
Think about it.

I bought a bag of chips in Denver, and took them on my flight to Portland. Somewhere over Wyoming I reached down for the chips and the bag had puffed up.
Think about it.
I credit 2 things - if I’m flying coach, it means I’m with my kids. They’ll annoy me enough that karma feels content to let me deal with them. If I’m without kids and in 1st/business class, it’s booze.

Because planes are actually teleported but the government doesn't want you to know about it. The entire plane ride is a simulation based on how long it would take you to get there if the plane were really flying. The planes that you see taking off and landing at the airport are actually drones.

Skin is more durable than plastic. If Cheetos made their bags out of leather we would all be safer.

Reactions: Torg
It works in reverse too. Cool thing to teach your kids about air pressure. Seal an empty bottle at cruising altitude. Then watch it shrink down as you descend and the air is gradually getting heavier.

Reactions: EagleHawk
Think about it.
You have too many holes vs a bag of chips.

3iQ6.gif

Think about it.

I used to work for a food manufacturer in CA...the first batch of tortilla chips we produced all exploded when we shipped them via FED EX air because the plant didn't account for this...live and learn :)

Because planes are actually teleported but the government doesn't want you to know about it. The entire plane ride is a simulation based on how long it would take you to get there if the plane were really flying. The planes that you see taking off and landing at the airport are actually drones.
Finally, someone who is in afraid to tell the truth.

• Haha
Reactions: Funky Bunch
Related - most people will experience an increase in farting at high altitudes. HAFE is the scourge of climber tents everywhere above 10,000ft. The sleeping bag can only do so much to hold it in and your neighbor who’s shoulder your up against will know your HAFE-caused misdeeds eventually.

Think about it.

Wanna find out why?

Go do a scuba dive to 100+ ft for 30-60 minutes.

Pop back up w/o any decompression stops and find out what happens...

Think about it.
You're full of water, not air. Thought done

You're full of water, not air. Thought done

Actually not correct

You have lots of dissolved gases (mainly nitrogen, which makes up most of the "air" you breathe) that will outgas if you change pressure too quickly. But the pressure changes in a pressurized cabin are slow enough that you exhale most of this outgassing quickly enough.

Fully "inflated" bags of chips also explode on you if you buy them in Nebraska, and have them in your car on the way up to Vail; the bags cannot equilibrate that pressure and outgas, at all. You can, and you have many hours to do so, when literally 10-20 minutes is ample time for your body to adjust. Air pressure in Nebraska against the bag is 13-14 psi; in Vail, it's more like 10 psi so the bag puffs up and pops.

I exploded once on a C-130 H after eating a Korean meal so be careful of what you put in your stomach before flying.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
I exploded once on a C-130 H after eating a Korean meal so be careful of what you put in your stomach before flying.
You know you're a military dude when you actually specify the model designation of the Herc you flew. Haha. Nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT