ADVERTISEMENT

Why hasn't Greeny been doing his show?

notlongago

HR Heisman
Jul 28, 2012
I know during the playoffs he was busy with that, then a nice long 2 week vacation, but I tune in this week and it's still friggin carlin irritatinge still. Did I miss some sort of announcement that Greeny is taking a sabbatical?

Reactions: jasonrann
Did OP also fall into a depression when the SVP late night talkshow got canceled?

I don’t know why he is gone now, but it sure seems like he really doesn’t even care about the radio show at all. The times that I’ve listened and that he’s actually been there, he’s just very generic and uninteresting.

Greeny's ego ruined the best show ESPN ever had. Greeny was great when paired with someone like Golic, but when you put him on his own he's boring, and comes off as a pencil neck which doesn't work well for sports commentary.

If he's gone, I won't miss him, although I do wish they'd bring back Golic. He wasn't as good by himself, but he was far better than Greeny.

I know during the playoffs he was busy with that, then a nice long 2 week vacation, but I tune in this week and it's still friggin carlin irritatinge still. Did I miss some sort of announcement that Greeny is taking a sabbatical?
Because, IMHO, he sucks.

Greeny's ego ruined the best show ESPN ever had. Greeny was great when paired with someone like Golic, but when you put him on his own he's boring, and comes off as a pencil neck which doesn't work well for sports commentary.

If he's gone, I won't miss him, although I do wish they'd bring back Golic. He wasn't as good by himself, but he was far better than Greeny.
100%

Reactions: DooBii
Was just thinking about this the other day, late 90's/early 2000's sports talk radio. Greeny & Golic were in their prime and had a really good show. ESPN's lineup was solid. Dan & Dibbs was another good show. All Night with Todd Wright. Then there were other shows like the Fabulous Sports Babe, Papa Joe Chevalier, and the Tony Kornheiser show. The Jim Rome Show was in that phase where The Jungle was ruthless and anything went. That show is the only one still going strong, along with the revamped Dan Patrick Show.

Greenie stabbed Golic in the back as he never told Golic anything about his negotiations with ESPN or him blowing up the show. Golic really got F'd over in that deal. Not much respect given to his long time partner.

You really expect NC to improve his posting style with this user name?
No, but at some point I hope he sobers up and gets the help he needs. He's just sad to look at some days even though I keep putting the new handles on ignore.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Was just thinking about this the other day, late 90's/early 2000's sports talk radio. Greeny & Golic were in their prime and had a really good show. ESPN's lineup was solid. Dan & Dibbs was another good show. All Night with Todd Wright. Then there were other shows like the Fabulous Sports Babe, Papa Joe Chevalier, and the Tony Kornheiser show. The Jim Rome Show was in that phase where The Jungle was ruthless and anything went. That show is the only one still going strong, along with the revamped Dan Patrick Show.

Greenie stabbed Golic in the back as he never told Golic anything about his negotiations with ESPN or him blowing up the show. Golic really got F'd over in that deal. Not much respect given to his long time partner.
ESPN's radio lineup is so bad compared to just a few years ago, let along 15 to 20 years ago as you mention.

Greeny and Golic by themselves are nothing special, but somehow when paired together made one of the best shows out there on sports talk radio imo.

ESPN was on in the gym this morning and the hot take on the banner at the bottom of the screen is that Nick Wright says Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did more for the league that Michael Jordan. They have officially run out of things to talk about.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Greeny is my favorite host on sports talk radio. The whole pencil neck geek thing is his thing. That’s who he is. The Keyshawn JWill and what’s his name show is ok, but they talk way too much about the New York teams.

The fox radio lineup is horrible.

wait.... ESPN has radio?

In all seriousness...being a Stiller and Penguin fan the only radio I find myself listening to is 93.7 the Fan in the Burgh, and if anything else The Herd......alot of people don't like Cowherd, but I find him entertaining.

Fox blows ESPN away in this department.

Lavar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox
Dan Patrick Show
Cowherd
Gottlieb (sp?)

I don't even know who ESPN has to compete.

I’d rather listen to local amateurs than Cowherd or Gottlieb.

Cowherd used to be a decent show… then he went extreme sensational hot take crap.

Gottlieb has always been terrible, IMO.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
I’d rather listen to local amateurs than Cowherd or Gottlieb.

Cowherd used to be a decent show… then he went extreme sensational hot take crap.

Gottlieb has always been terrible, IMO.
KXNO in Des Moines has a fantastic local lineup besides the Fanatics that's meh at this point.

You liked rome and kornheiser? Opinion = invalidated.

I would listen to Mike & Mike during the a.m drive to work. I enjoyed how they worked together, the dumb jock and the nerdy twerp. Once Greenberg stabbed Golic in the back I had no interest in listening to that dork on his own. He was really only decent with their shtick so I can't imagine he's decent on his own.

ESPN seems to have run off anyone with actual radio talent, Patrick, Eisen, and Cowherd. I'll never understand that networks view on talent; I haven't watched any of their opinion shows in many years. Just because you can scream doesn't mean you're correct or interesting.

You liked rome and kornheiser? Opinion = invalidated.
I still like Rome and listen to him daily. The interviews, Jim's takes, the Clones. The Jungle has a life of its own at times and there is a show within the show that when you've listened as long as I have you really get. I can go on YouTube and find classic calls from 20 years ago that leave me in hysterical laughter. Lot of nostalgia with that show. I realize it is not for everyone.

Kornheiser had a pretty decent radio show way back in the late 90's . Not a big fan of PTI but his old radio show was much better than most sports talk radio these days.

Haven't watched or listened to espn except for live games. My life is at peace. At least until I win the mega lottery dollars.
Same with me with the exception that after some of the hockey games this year I'd watch the first 20 minutes or so of sportscenter with svp.

Reactions: ericram
Same with me with the exception that after some of the hockey games this year I'd watch the first 20 minutes or so of sportscenter with svp.
Oh absolutely. SVP and the ESPN crew really got into the NHL and those first 20 minutes of SVP after a big game was excellent viewing.

Reactions: DooBii
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT