ADVERTISEMENT

Why hasn't Pelosi sent the Senate the articles of impeachment?

Finance85

HR Legend
Oct 22, 2003
According to more than a few at HROT, Trump had to removed immediately, lest he do something crazy. Pelosi has been sitting on the articles of impeachment for 4+ days, and Trump will be leaving office in 2 days.

Obviously, it's not about removing Trump ASAP.

So what's the deal? Impeachment is a political process. Removal from office won't be happening.

It's now being said Pelosi wants to make sure Trump can't run again. I find that really curious, given that Trump lost in fairly convincing fashion, and also lost a lot of people who were supporters, as well as virtually everyone independent. Add to that, it seems like it would be an excellent strategy to have Trump disrupt the GOP for at least 2 more years.

Some will say it's about punishing Trump, though that's really symbolic at this point. Trump is the first POTUS to be impeached twice, and he managed that feat in 4 years. If there's any thought of Trump being personally shamed, I don't think that's possible.

One final possibility is Pelosi might think that McConnell will pull a fast one, and find a way to let Trump off the hook before Wednesday.

I'd be curious as to what everyone else thinks about Pelosi delaying sending the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate.

According to more than a few at HROT, Trump had to removed immediately, lest he do something crazy. Pelosi has been sitting on the articles of impeachment for 4+ days, and Trump will be leaving office in 2 days.

Obviously, it's not about removing Trump ASAP.

So what's the deal? Impeachment is a political process. Removal from office won't be happening.

It's now being said Pelosi wants to make sure Trump can't run again. I find that really curious, given that Trump lost in fairly convincing fashion, and also lost a lot of people who were supporters, as well as virtually everyone independent. Add to that, it seems like it would be an excellent strategy to have Trump disrupt the GOP for at least 2 more years.

Some will say it's about punishing Trump, though that's really symbolic at this point. Trump is the first POTUS to be impeached twice, and he managed that feat in 4 years. If there's any thought of Trump being personally shamed, I don't think that's possible.

One final possibility is Pelosi might think that McConnell will pull a fast one, and find a way to let Trump off the hook before Wednesday.

I'd be curious as to what everyone else thinks about Pelosi delaying sending the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate.
Is there anyone to accept the article(s) of impeachment?
It appears the certification was a one off and regular business concluded 1/3

The 116th United States Congress was the meeting of the legislative branch of the United States federal government, composed of the Senate and the House of Representatives. The 116th Congress convened on January 3, 2019, and concluded on January 3, 2021.

Senate isn't going to look at it until 19/20 per MM.
Continuing investigations are determine the full extent of the Jan 6 activities and who was involved, citizenry and Congress (possibly).
She didn't need "more details", they already had the numbers in the House to impeach.
She knows they need more proof and a new Senate to get some of the Rs to switch.
She knows they need Trump out of power to likely reduce his ability to manipulate the Rs who will be voting against Trump.
They have an uphill battle to get some of the Rs to actually vote against Trump.

So, what's the rush? They need him to be "removed" so they can likely find a way to undermine anything he did last week and this week. Just an impeachment won't give them the teeth they need to have a shot at undercutting the pardons he is about to drop.

I think it would be even more difficult for Trump to self pardon himself if Pelosi waits until after the inauguration to send over the articles.

Reactions: seam
It’s not about removing him. It’s about preventing him from running for public office again.

Which would be good for the GOP. There will definitely be a trial this time - beyond absurd there wasn’t last time. I think the Republican Senators are waiting to see if he puts up a reasonable defense or a lunatic defense. If he goes full nutbag they might actually convict so they don’t have to deal with him any more.

Mitch: Nobody is coming back until after the 19th.

OP: Why are the Dems slow rolling this?

I'm asking because there are multiple news reports about it. You guys do read the news other than what cigaretteman and kenneth griffin post, don't you?

Reactions: SIXERS24
It's funny how the complaint on the last impeachment was that it was rushed and now the question is "what's taking so long??"

It's not a complaint; it's an observation. I'd think all those on this board who were clamoring to get Trump out before he could wreck the country (even more) would be asking the same question.

Senate isn't going to look at it until 19/20 per MM.
Continuing investigations are determine the full extent of the Jan 6 activities and who was involved, citizenry and Congress (possibly).
She didn't need "more details", they already had the numbers in the House to impeach.
She knows they need more proof and a new Senate to get some of the Rs to switch.
She knows they need Trump out of power to likely reduce his ability to manipulate the Rs who will be voting against Trump.
They have an uphill battle to get some of the Rs to actually vote against Trump.

So, what's the rush? They need him to be "removed" so they can likely find a way to undermine anything he did last week and this week. Just an impeachment won't give them the teeth they need to have a shot at undercutting the pardons he is about to drop.

That's very thoughtful. Thank you.

I don't think they can reverse anything Trump does that's legal. Certainly not pardons. That's purely an executive function.

Which would be good for the GOP. There will definitely be a trial this time - beyond absurd there wasn’t last time. I think the Republican Senators are waiting to see if he puts up a reasonable defense or a lunatic defense. If he goes full nutbag they might actually convict so they don’t have to deal with him any more.

I think the longer they wait, the longer they can test the mood and air to see how the voters are leaning.

Reactions: mstp1992
Well, you actually have to have a case, and this one takes more time to create than the last one they made up
Even if you have a case it has to be heard which the scumbag Republicans didn't allow a year ago in their ongoing supression of truth and harboring of this criminal. Why is it the dems' responsibility to save the Republican party from itself...if they want it to burn, let it burn

Reactions: artradley
It's not a complaint; it's an observation. I'd think all those on this board who were clamoring to get Trump out before he could wreck the country (even more) would be asking the same question.
Perhaps the observation should be "Why did McConnell recess the Senate in the middle of an impeachment?" That would have been a more interesting question instead of why didn't Pelosi send it to an empty chamber.

Do you send mail to people when you know they are on vacation?

This is one of the stupider threads.

Yes, I send people mail if I know they are on vacation. That way I'll be sure they have it when they return, especially if it's important. You never know, they might come back early.

Multiple media outlets are asking the question. I just googled Pelosi + articles of impeachment on google news and got 12,600,000 hits. Undoubtedly some go back to round one, but many are big time outlets reporting in the last 2 or 3 days.

Reactions: funksouljon
I think it would be even more difficult for Trump to self pardon himself if Pelosi waits until after the inauguration to send over the articles.
That's an angle, though I don't think Trump can pardon himself to avoid impeachment.

That doesn't prevent Pelosi from sending the Articles to the Senate, does it?
The Articles are to be carried from the House to the Senate by the managers. In case you need a refresher this is how it happened a year ago. If you want to skip watching them walk forward to 2:23 when the Articles arrive in the Senate chamber.

Reactions: lucas80
That's very thoughtful. Thank you.

I don't think they can reverse anything Trump does that's legal. Certainly not pardons. That's purely an executive function.

I think that if they started the process early (as they did) and they can uncover misdoings, behavior that goes against the constitution, they can remove from office. Once he has that "stain" then they can point to behavior that was inappropriate and basically try to nullify his activities because it has been shown he shouldn't have been President after Jan 6, therefore any activities should NOT be protected. Not saying it will happen, but I would expect that is part of the approach. Esp since the world is expecting people who seem to have been breaking the law (emoluments, among other activities) to get pardons like Oprah giving prizes.

And I expect investigations for activities we aren't even aware of now, to be uncovered once he and his ability to prevent inspections is gone. We don't know what we don't know. Yet.

That doesn't prevent Pelosi from sending the Articles to the Senate, does it?

I'm sort of having the view of what's the point if the senate said they arn't going to vote until after Biden is president.

I mean if McConnell called the senate back into session or was at least willing to upon receiving the articles I would expect her to get them over there right away and that no delay is acceptable. Because I would prefer Mike Pence handled the transition.

But if they arn't going to even take a look until after Biden is president than there is no rush. I mean at this point the whole thing is just about stopping Trump from running in 2024. Might as well wait as long as you feel like at that point. There is nothing to be gained for the country by rushing it over now. It's not going to shave even a minute off of Trump's presidency.

Reactions: Finance85
The correct answer is that Nancy Pelosi will deliver the singular article of impeachment at a time and place of her choosing that guarantees the maximum level of carnage being imposed upon Donald Trump's anus...

Reactions: mstp1992
I'm sort of having the view of what's the point if the senate said they arn't going to vote until after Biden is president.

I mean if McConnell called the senate back into session or was at least willing to upon receiving the articles I would expect her to get them over there right away and that no delay is acceptable. Because I would prefer Mike Pence handled the transition.

But if they arn't going to even take a look until after Biden is president than there is no rush. I mean at this point the whole thing is just about stopping Trump from running in 2024. Might as well wait as long as you feel like at that point. There is nothing to be gained for the country by rushing it over now. It's not going to shave even a minute off of Trump's presidency.
And doing so later allows them to gather more evidence and, potentially, keep Trump somewhat in check. Not to mention a Senate that will actually move forward with a trial. There are a number of good reasons.

Well, you actually have to have a case, and this one takes more time to create than the last one they made up
The last one, all evidence was blocked by corrupt republicans. Trump should have been convicted then but corrupt fvcks didn’t allow evidence to be shown, unlikely the corrupt republicans would have convicted anyway because they are corrupt. Your god is a bad person and should be convicted this time but probably won’t. Keep licking his dick if you want but you’re just a little bitch that can’t think for yourself.

In my mind if they don’t convict then those that voted against it should be kicked out of the party, start the rebuild.

The fallacy of this argument is easily realized if you imagine the GOP reaction if Obama or Clinton did what Trump did in the Ukraine phone call. It would have been the same play, with the players cast in different roles.

What I wonder is if posts like this are an ignorance to the bias of tribalism or if they are a willful part of political theatre, where the absurdity is known, but ignored in favor of promoting a partisan agenda? I suppose it doesn't matter, as the result is the same.

Reactions: artradley
ADVERTISEMENT