ADVERTISEMENT

Why Hoiberg may never return to college coaching: "I absolutely "f'ing" hated recruiting"

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I think Freddy was good in management, too, when he was with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

With his heart issues, once done coaching in the NBA, it seems he either goes back into NBA management or he enjoys watching his kids grow up.

The related tweet:

Scott Dochterman Retweeted
Keith Smith‏Verified account@KeithSmithNBA 2h2 hours ago
Fred Hoiberg: I hated recruiting. I absolutely "f'ing" hated recruiting. In the NBA it is just coaching. No other stuff. Just coaching.

14 replies60 retweets88 likes

Last edited:
So, does a coach have to actually recruit transfers or does one just put up a "welcome" sign? Maybe I could coach after all.

Reactions: terrehawk
People can hate on the way he got guys to Ames, but you gotta give some credit where it's due. He was a pioneer when it came to using the transfer market as a primary recruiting strategy and got results quickly. Now that the rest of the college landscape has changed, ISU is no longer transfer U,at least not like it was. Considering how he did against Iowa, I'd be perfectly ok if he never came back to Ames.

Maybe he got so many transfers because he hated recruiting. Freddy's a good Iowa guy, why the hate?

That's precisely why he got so many. You recruit a guy for 3 weeks off of a transfer. You recruit them for 3 years in high school. He hated it and it was no secret during his time in Ames.

I happend to know him well, being two years ahead of him at Ames High (his wife was in my class). He is actually a very laid back guy, not at all the type A that you would think would be a good recruiter. I don't really care at all about the NBA, other that the rare Hawkeye in it, but I am following his career at Chicago with interest, I hope he does well.

Sedge

Reactions: Jonnymungo
People can hate on the way he got guys to Ames, but you gotta give some credit where it's due. He was a pioneer when it came to using the transfer market as a primary recruiting strategy and got results quickly. Now that the rest of the college landscape has changed, ISU is no longer transfer U,at least not like it was. Considering how he did against Iowa, I'd be perfectly ok if he never came back to Ames.
Yep, its a results oriented job, and he got results. Not the way I'd like my team built, because I enjoy seeing them grow, and improve from year to year, but different strokes.

That's no secret. He told Pollard how he was going to do the job and Pollard agreed. Said he couldn't compete with KU recruiting high school kids. Exploited the transfer rules the NCAA had in place.

Reactions: hooper56
I tell you what, I am glad he isn't in Ames anymore. I respect him for doing whatever the hell it took to make them a good team.

Reactions: unIowa
When you have a deal where the Police don't arrest your players when they get in trouble and instead lets the coach "deal with it internally", then it is easy to get players. Apparently the academic side of ISU was fine with players not being students.
We don't have that at Iowa and we don't want it. Good for fred he exploited what he had...why not? He was not a developmental coach.

Reactions: Ree4 and HawkGem11
When you have a deal where the Police don't arrest your players when they get in trouble and instead lets the coach "deal with it internally", then it is easy to get players. Apparently the academic side of ISU was fine with players not being students.
We don't have that at Iowa and we don't want it. Good for fred he exploited what he had...why not? He was not a developmental coach.
Besides BDJ, his players weren't really in much trouble once they got to Ames I recall. Thomas got a DUI or something. Not looking to debate, but his guys for the most part did fine once they landed at ISU. Maybe he had some sway with the local cops. But I just don't care enough to spend much time on it.

I'm a big Hoiberg supporter. I went to Iowa State and covered ISU basketball when Fred was a player ... He's just a good guy. Humble. Soft spoken. Generous ...

I think I'm even more surprised he wants to coach cry-baby multi-millionaires ... I highly expect Fred will go back into the NBA front office when his stint with the Bulls comes to an end ...

Reactions: K OKeefe

The academic side under Fred was a tremendous improvement.

Not hard at all to understand why someone would despise having to go into the homes of ego driven teens and feed those egos even further in an attempt to get them to come to your program. Obviously still issues with the NBA and their monstrous egos. Still, seems like a good idea to trade the former problem for the latter.

I would agree that under no circumstance would Fran have been allowed to be called first by police to deal with an issue that involved one of his players. The deal with DeJean-Jones in Ames was pretty minor, he was getting noise complaints from neighbors so Fred got called to deal with it. But that would just never fly in Iowa City. I don't hate Freddy for that, if anything I'm in admiration for having the full support of the administration and local police.

That's no secret. He told Pollard how he was going to do the job and Pollard agreed. Said he couldn't compete with KU recruiting high school kids. Exploited the transfer rules the NCAA had in place.

Yeah I don't know why people were so mad at Hoiberg for what he was doing, other than he won a lot. He recognized other schools in the B12 weren't going to get the caliber of player KU did by just brining in high school players. Wasn't going to work. Period. He found a way to get talent that was within the rules. Had the transfer strategy backfired, he would have had to deal with the fallout.

Yeah I don't know why people were so mad at Hoiberg for what he was doing, other than he won a lot. He recognized other schools in the B12 weren't going to get the caliber of player KU did by just brining in high school players. Wasn't going to work. Period. He found a way to get talent that was within the rules. Had the transfer strategy backfired, he would have had to deal with the fallout.

I do think people underplay the risk as well - if it backfired, he would have been run out of any coaching opportunity ever.

I would agree that under no circumstance would Fran have been allowed to be called first by police to deal with an issue that involved one of his players. The deal with DeJean-Jones in Ames was pretty minor, he was getting noise complaints from neighbors so Fred got called to deal with it. But that would just never fly in Iowa City. I don't hate Freddy for that, if anything I'm in admiration for having the full support of the administration and local police.
So.....things have changed that much in Iowa City since Hayden and Gable departed?

So.....things have changed that much in Iowa City since Hayden and Gable departed?

I said they wouldn't fly today :) I'm well aware during Hayden's day that there were things that wouldn't fly now. Today people get bent sideways when Peter Jok is cited for operating a moped under the influence or if a guy whizzes in public.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
I would say that things have changed country wide since those days at EVERY school including ISU and Iowa. Not only college campuses but how those issues are treated in society.

Most people realize that. And, most people realize that some places are more lax than others today. Iowa isn't in the "lax" department

I would say that things have changed country wide since those days at EVERY school including ISU and Iowa. Not only college campuses but how those issues are treated in society.

Most people realize that. And, most people realize that some places are more lax than others today. Iowa isn't in the "lax" department

Minus Baylor until last season.... But I agree things have changed since 80s and 90s when police chiefs of these college towns would contact an assistant or head coach if one of their players acted up downtown. This applies to both Iowa and ISU.

Reactions: terrehawk
Minus Baylor until last season.... But I agree things have changed since 80s and 90s when police chiefs of these college towns would contact an assistant or head coach if one of their players acted up downtown. This applies to both Iowa and ISU.
Just thinking back to the things I got away with. I don't know how many times a LEO dumped out my beer or took it and put it in his trunk...or stopped my on my way home right in front of my home when I was hammered and he told me to get in the house and went away.

Just can't do these things anymore without, in many cases, having your playing career altered or destroyed.

I do think people underplay the risk as well - if it backfired, he would have been run out of any coaching opportunity ever.

Depends. Players screw up all the time. You really think Iowa State would have run "The Mayor" out of town if one of his "high risk" transfers did something naughty? I don't. Unless it was something so scandalous--like if Fred himself had hosted sex parties for his players or something crazy like that--Fred's job security at Iowa State would have been just fine.

Thanks for the reasonable responses to my post, which could have been taken as provocative. Things have changed everywhere. The stories about the ISU wrestling team when Gable was there are legendary among Cyclone fans.

I think there are still places -- and more important, individuals -- who will cut athletes slack when they screw the pooch, both academically and in the real world. But there are also some who hate jocks and love to treat them especially roughly, as well.

Thanks for the reasonable responses to my post, which could have been taken as provocative. Things have changed everywhere. The stories about the ISU wrestling team when Gable was there are legendary among Cyclone fans.

I think there are still places -- and more important, individuals -- who will cut athletes slack when they screw the pooch, both academically and in the real world. But there are also some who hate jocks and love to treat them especially roughly, as well.

I do think players got away with a lot more back then because there wasn't so much media attention like today. I'm sure the police were more willing to turn the other away too. I remember stories growing up of Fred Hoiberg getting pulled over in high school and college for driving drunk and the police just dropping him off at his parents' house. No idea if that's true or not, but more than one person was saying it. I'm sure similar things happened in Iowa City back in the day too. It's just funny how things have changed: A guy on a moped barely blows over the legal limit and it's a major news story now. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT