ADVERTISEMENT

Why I Hate Golf Leagues!

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Besides too much drinking, too many players and not enough sunlight.....

I was asked “last minute” back in May about playing. The League runs Wednesday’s...it costs money to play...it is competitive....but it is “ fun”....but that is debatable with the other factors figured in.
Two man team, 3 point matches...A player vs. A player, B player vs B player..and an overall two man best ball match...each match worth 1 point (3 total)...Cumulative point totals (12 weeks) used to reduce field for playoffs....
Rules of golf is the final arbitrator.

My partner and I are marginal to qualify for playoffs...points today and next week are important if we are to qualify.
After 7 holes, I am stuck one hole...#8 is a par 5...my second shot is 15 yds. Short of the green...my opponent hits his se one shot from the rough into the other rough and cannot find the ball...we look a long time for it but can’t find it..so he asks ME what he should do...he’s gotta go back to where he hit his second shot, take a penalty and he will be hitting 4 as per rule....his partner tells him to “ throw a ball down ( where it is presumed lost) and take a penalty shot...from about 110 yds. out, his “ dropped ball” hits the pin and ends up maybe a foot away ( it was a great golf shot)...I chip up to 15 feet, 2 putt...so we both “make” a par...
I told my partner that is pure bullshit. My opponent knows the phuquing rules as well as I...a lost ball does not give you a “drop where you think you lost it” option...You go back a replay the stroke and take a penalty shot. So I’m pissed..my partner is pissed at me and all because my opponent decided not to play by the Rules. Finally, before teeing off the next hole, our opponents decided to give us the hole last played bur not without quite a bit of stress...Anyway, the last hole a little par 3 I made about a 10 foot putt for birdie and I won my match...;)
So now...my partner gets pissed at me..” why didn’t you say something to him!” We’ll I did....and I’m the asshole because I told him he needed to follow the Rules of Golf...and I didn’t write the sumbitchin’ rules, either!
I learned decades ago, there is no such thing as “fun” competitive golf...play by the Rules, dammit!
I phuquing done with the golf league stuff...I knew better than to get involved in the first place!
Peace Out! I’m gonna have a drink.

I was asked “last minute” back in May about playing. The League runs Wednesday’s...it costs money to play...it is competitive....but it is “ fun”....but that is debatable with the other factors figured in.
Two man team, 3 point matches...A player vs. A player, B player vs B player..and an overall two man best ball match...each match worth 1 point (3 total)...Cumulative point totals (12 weeks) used to reduce field for playoffs....

My partner and I are marginal to qualify for playoffs...points today and next week are important if we are to qualify.
After 7 holes, I am stuck one hole...#8 is a par 5...my second shot is 15 yds. Short of the green...my opponent hits his se one shot from the rough into the other rough and cannot find the ball...we look a long time for it but can’t find it..so he asks ME what he should do...he’s gotta go back to where he hit his second shot, take a penalty and he will be hitting 4 as per rule....his partner tells him to “ throw a ball down ( where it is presumed lost) and take a penalty shot...from about 110 yds. out, his “ dropped ball” hits the pin and ends up maybe a foot away ( it was a great golf shot)...I chip up to 15 feet, 2 putt...so we both “make” a par...
I told my partner that is pure bullshit. My opponent knows the phuquing rules as well as I...a lost ball does not give you a “drop where you think you lost it” option...You go back a replay the stroke and take a penalty shot. So I’m pissed..my partner is pissed at me and all because my opponent decided not to play by the Rules. Finally, before teeing off the next hole, our opponents decided to give us the hole last played bur not without quite a bit of stress...Anyway, the last hole a little par 3 I made about a 10 foot putt for birdie and I won my match...;)
So now...my partner gets pissed at me..” why didn’t you say something to him!” We’ll I did....and I’m the asshole because I told him he needed to follow the Rules of Golf...and I didn’t write the sumbitchin’ rules, either!
I learned decades ago, there is no such thing as “fun” competitive golf...play by the Rules, dammit!
I phuquing done with the golf league stuff...I knew better than to get involved in the first place!
Taking a drop in league play is fairly normal.
Not in club tournaments or for sure member/guest.
Just sayin.

Yeah...it’s one thing to play winter rules and speed golf with friends when there’s no money on the line.
Competition=follow the rules. Calling that out doesn’t make you a bad guy.

Reactions: mnole03
Just sayin.
Not when “The Rules of Golf” are the arbiter...with my wife or kids on a weekend evening, perhaps...
Either you play golf or you have a swat-fest...not against having fun...but you get 80 folks paying money and competing weekly...there needs to be a point of order...and that starts with The Rules...

Cheaters and sandbaggers ruin our club events. I don’t play for money unless it’s straight up and I can watch you play.

My club forces you to choose your path in tournament play...either play as a handicap, or play in the open division and try to win it all. There’s still sand baggers, but at least they keep to themselves, and it usually includes the cheaters.
I’ll probably never play in another “handicapped scramble” Because of the sandbaggers again though. Ridiculous that those are even a thing.

Not when “The Rules of Golf” are the arbiter...with my wife or kids on a weekend evening, perhaps...
Either you play golf or you have a swat-fest...not against having fun...but you get 80 folks paying money and competing weekly...there needs to be a point of order...and that starts with The Rules...
The normal week league play is just a social thing until the playoffs/finals.
A ball lost in normal rough with 4 sets of eyes paying attention deserves a drop in normal beer league play.

I’m not a big golfer but I’m starting to golf more often. I’ve golfed 5 times the past 2 weeks which is as much as the previous 5 years combined. I’ve never played competitive so most of what’s been discussed above makes very little sense to me. All I know is to hit the ball and try and find where it landed.

What I don’t understand about the story is how you have time for hitting a ball, looking for it and not finding it, arguing about it and rebutting it. Wouldn’t this be incredibly slow play? Wouldn’t you be holding up everyone behind you? I always feel like I’m holding everyone up.

Just sayin.
In our league if you hit one OB you can take the penalty and play from where it went out. But on a lost ball we still have to go back and hit again with penalty.

Reactions: nelly02
You’re right, and that situation sucks. Hoping you can just keep ur mouth shut and not have to worry about it, then that happens. There’s either 2 scenarios, 1) the guy didn’t know the rules and was truly wondering what he needed to do in that situation. Or 2) he knew good and well but was hoping you would just say what his partner did, to throw one down. My guess is the latter judging by his next shot flying into the pin, but you’d have a better judgment on his skill level. If he was a solid golfer he knew the rule and decided to put you in the position of being the dick.
Ill agree with above poster tho, normal beer league that’s no big deal. Serious league with some $ on the line...not so much. BUT, that’s the game of golf, it’s a “gentleman's” game where you’re responsible for calling shit on yourself. If people can live with themselves being cheaters then that’s just how it is

Reactions: joelbc1
I’m not a big golfer but I’m starting to golf more often. I’ve golfed 5 times the past 2 weeks which is as much as the previous 5 years combined. I’ve never played competitive so most of what’s been discussed above makes very little sense to me. All I know is to hit the ball and try and find where it landed.

I have to say that you are missing out. I'm referencing either informal team competition or four-man best ball tournaments. When you are with the right group of guys - competitive golf is amazing. We use have annual tournaments. Like 8 or 10 friends. Could be a local course or road trip somewhere warm if it's spring. Two teams. If you suck at golf, then the person you are playing against would have to win by 10 strokes. It's not super competitive but you feel the pressure and it is awesome to win. But not too shitty to lose if that makes any sense.

Probably my favorite was playing two-man best-ball every week. We had a stupid plaque award and would sign the back of it every week with which team won and the course. It meant a lot to win that damn trophy and the emails leading up the following week were pretty awesome.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I have to say that you are missing out. I'm referencing either informal team competition or four-man best ball tournaments. When you are with the right group of guys - competitive golf is amazing. We use have annual tournaments. Like 8 or 10 friends. Could be a local course or road trip somewhere warm if it's spring. Two teams. If you suck at golf, then the person you are playing against would have to win by 10 strokes. It's not super competitive but you feel the pressure and it is awesome to win. But not too shitty to lose if that makes any sense.

Probably my favorite was playing two-man best-ball every week. We had a stupid plaque award and would sign the back of it every week with which team won and the course. It meant a lot to win that damn trophy and the emails leading up the following week were pretty awesome.

That does have some appeal but I’m just not that social of a person to really enjoy that I guess. What I’ve enjoyed about golfing is just being with my kids or by myself and taking nothing seriously. I also don’t have the time to consistently play with lots of other people. Just thinking of trying to make a league event on a weekly basis stresses me out a little. We even belonged to a country club for 5 or 6 years and we finally dropped the membership because of not enough use. Maybe when my kids are out of the house I’ll get into it more.

Reactions: JupiterHawk

I gave you a drunk like, but also........

Tl;dr

That should be part of your league rules. You shouldn't have been put in that position, but you also should have said something when his partner told him to throw one down.

In my league he'd have dropped where it was lost and kept the distance.

LivelyBareCarp-size_restricted.gif

Love listening to people pretend like they're playing for WGC points on their local track. Acting like the 13 rules are the 10 commandments...handed down from some deity that you live your life between the rough from. Jesus, it's f'ing golf. Get another bloody, tip the cart girl, improve your lie, and move on.

Play by the rules or don't play at all. You hit it OB it's stroke and distance, don't like it, get better. If you're playing with friends and ****ing around that's fine, you're not looking to post a score, I get it, but if you're actually playing in a league, tourney, or posting a legit score don't be a cheating twat.

A person who cheats at golf to post a score is beyond pathetic.

Love listening to people pretend like they're playing for WGC points on their local track. Acting like the 13 rules are the 10 commandments...handed down from some deity that you live your life between the rough from. Jesus, it's f'ing golf. Get another bloody, tip the cart girl and move on.

Again, if you're just messing around with friends, that's fine - you aren't seriously posting a score. If you're pulling this while in league, tourney, or posting a score for handicap, you're a bitch, plain and simple.

Again, if you're just messing around with friends, that's fine - you aren't seriously posting a score. If you're pulling this while in league, tourney, or posting a score for handicap, you're a bitch, plain and simple.

This is what golf is for. All the rest is pretending like your Jordan / Lebron in your driveway.

Correct, I'm a bogey golfer when the rating is giving me a few strokes - so bad.

Incorrect on music. Even shitty golfers have some standards bro.

You give yourself strokes when not playing in league? What kind of namby pambyville world do you live in. That's not a score. You post what you post, what is this "rating giving me strokes" nonsense. I'm not even old.

You give yourself strokes when not playing in league? What kind of namby pambyville world do you live in. That's not a score. You post what you post, what is this "rating giving me strokes" nonsense. I'm not even old.

No, just saying that even if I were to factor in the rating I still suck. You keep doing you Tiger. I'm sure it's a big deal at the club.

No, just saying that even if I were to factor in the rating I still suck. You keep doing you Tiger. I'm sure it's a big deal at the club.

You're the dork that's defending bending the rules to pretend you're better than what you are when it doesn't even matter. I'm just saying post a legit score when you mean it or **** off. I think I'm on the right side of this.

You're the dork that's defending bending the rules to pretend you're better than what you are when it doesn't even matter. I'm just saying post a legit score when you mean it or **** off. I think I'm on the right side of this.

I'm sure you are right for what matters in your world. I never play for a score, money, a league, etc...because I find it to be mind numbingly tedious and boring. To each their own. Go get 'em Phil.

You definitely are. People have hobbies, hobbies are more fun when you’re good at them. If you’re doing it “just for fun” then why the f would you care enough to cheat in the first place?

I'm sure you are right for what matters in your world. I never play for a score, money, a league, etc...because I find it to be mind numbingly tedious and boring. To each their own. Go get 'em Phil.

We're not even talking about the same thing then. If you aren't playing to register a handicap, money, league, etc.... then I don't care.. you aren't posting a handicap that matters... do whatever you want. I feel like I have been very specific in the fact that if you are playing in tourney's, league, etc... if you're cheating you're a complete asshole.

If you play for fun and lie about your handicap, then you're just kind of douchey but it doesn't actually affect anyone else so I don't care.

Reactions: hexumhawk
We're not even talking about the same thing then. If you aren't playing to register a handicap, money, league, etc.... then I don't care.. you aren't posting a handicap that matters... do whatever you want. I feel like I have been very specific in the fact that if you are playing in tourney's, league, etc... if you're cheating you're a complete asshole.

If you play for fun and lie about your handicap, then you're just kind of douchey but it doesn't actually affect anyone else so I don't care.

OK, that I agree with. Just stay out of my foursome with your rules when it means nothing. I'm fluffing my ball m'fer and I don't care. (not necessarily directed at you, but it is directed at the guy being THAT guy)

OK, that I agree with. Just stay out of my foursome with your rules when it means nothing. I'm fluffing my ball m'fer and I don't care. (not necessarily directed at you, but it is directed at the guy being THAT guy)

I feel like we can be friends now and we just misunderstood each other. If we're playing as friends and having a good time, I do not give a ****. I'll give you shit if you try to cut like every possible penalty stroke, but I don't really care.. that's just shit among friends.. I'll buy you a beer and talk shit, I don't really care though.

Where it gets annoying is when you're a member of a club or in a league and people cheat *both* ways. They cheat during a tourney where you have to be the asshole or they artificially raise their handicaps by posting false scores during the season so they get more favorable groups in tournaments. That shit is so beyond pathetic to me.. I don't get it.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Basically I play for fun.. unless I'm not. I'm not a Q school guy, but I can play. If I'm playing in a tourney or something that involves determining my handy, I play by the rules and call others that don't especially if it is obvious.

If I am going out for fun then you can do whatever you want. I am pretty liberal with things even in a 4 man with big money - you just have to gauge the room so to speak.

I would have told him to play 2 balls to the hole, one from the original spot and one from the "lost ball" spot, and record both scores. Then after the round, explain the scenario to the golf pro and let him make the final ruling. That way the pro is the dick, not you.

You have 3 minutes to locate your ball and get it back in play...the responsibility is on the owner...if the ball is not found in the 3minutes, it is deemed lost and unless there is a “local rule” you proceed under penalty of stroke and distance. In this case there is no League authorized “ local rule” waiving the lost ball rule.
The player has the responsibility to know the rules. Not his opponent, not his partner and not the other people on the golf course.

Gotta respect your honor! Good job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT