ADVERTISEMENT

Why I still love this team

Eternal Return

HR Heisman
Oct 15, 2009
In January, two longtime friends died. It was devastating. Then the Hawkeyes went on a run. In the weeks when I was overwhelmed with griefs, I had a couple bright lights each week as the Hawkeyes blew out team after team. They were so fun to watch and the timing was everything for me. To feel joy like that while grieving is unusual in my experience, so I'm grateful that this team went on a special run in the B10. Yesterday sucked, but after two months of sorrow dotted by joy, I've come to peace with the loss of my friends (though I know how grief works; it'll hit me again when I least expect it).

Anyway, I just wanted to put yesterday's loss in perspective. I love watching the Hawks play, but I'm not going to like or dislike them based solely on wins and losses. Just such a good group of guys and it was touching to see how much they cared for one another and their coaches. So, keep it in mind that it's a game and these are very young men just coming into adulthood with the brightest of bright lights on them. Let them be human beings who have ups and downs like all of us. They're our guys, win or lose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT