ADVERTISEMENT

Why in theeeee hell would you overturn "stay in mexico"

No, I'm not. No other developed country in the world lets non-citizens enter like we do. Not even the Central American countries where a lot of the people are coming from.
America has a long long history of accepting asylum seekers. If changes should be made to the asylum laws, we should make them. Until then, administer the rules as they are written.

Regarding the positive impact of immigrants, they add trillions annualy to the GDP and multiple hundreds of billions in tax revenue to national, state, and local governments. Immigrant workers are essential to the agriculture industry. If you had a pork chop and a salad with a glass of milk for supper, immigrant workers were citical in getting that food to you plate.

Immigrants dominate low wage service and hospitality jobs that are difficult to fill. A relatively high percentage of new immigrants start businesses which create jobs which, in turn, generate more taxable revenue,

Focusing solely on the financial impact to assimilate new immigrants is shallow, superficial, and short sighted.

Reactions: sob5 and RileyHawk
Trump followed the law. The same discretion that Biden used was available to Trump, though Trump didn't need discretion because he followed the law without needing the word "may".

No, this wasn't expedient for the Court. It was a 5-4 vote with Roberts and Kavanaugh voting with the liberal justices.

Dude, you're on a roll today. Downhill.
Finance, you are not telling the whole story here. It has to do with folks coming to America to claim asylum and THAT can only be done in the USA. I am not well versed on this immigration law...unlike you who seems to know most everything about everything..but it is my understanding thT those coming to the US claiming “asylum” have a unique option over an immigrant who just shows up at the border. The acknowledged this in their decision.
The whole phuquin’ border mess needs a solution...and it seems to me there was a resolution reached back when Junior was President and then his own Party turned on him. What makes me think it was a reasonable solution was the fact that both Dems and Repubbers found parts of it distasteful...and THAT is a surefire sign of a good piece of legislation.

Finance, you are not telling the whole story here. It has to do with folks coming to America to claim asylum and THAT can only be done in the USA. I am not well versed on this immigration law...unlike you who seems to know most everything about everything..but it is my understanding thT those coming to the US claiming “asylum” have a unique option over an immigrant who just shows up at the border. The acknowledged this in their decision.
The whole phuquin’ border mess needs a solution...and it seems to me there was a resolution reached back when Junior was President and then his own Party turned on him. What makes me think it was a reasonable solution was the fact that both Dems and Repubbers found parts of it distasteful...and THAT is a surefire sign of a good piece of legislation.
I agree with the sentiment of the post but I think the category of "asylum" seekers has been stretched a bit...turning into a catchall IMO.

I agree with the sentiment of the post but I think the category of "asylum" seekers has been stretched a bit...turning into a catchall IMO.
That is not my job...or the Court’s, either. Trump’s gambit was a pretty clever way to keep immigrants OUT of the country.
But the fact remains...there needs to be a NEW immigration policy adopted...and both sides won’t like it! But what has been going on on the border the past 30 years is unsustainable!
Honestly, I don’t have an answer. But what we’re doing ain’t working.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
I don't know everything about everything, and don't pretend to. I do read SCOTUS opinions before I rush on here to post about them. I try to educate myself. As Henry Cuellar said recently, only about 10% to 12% of the people seeking asylum are granted asylum.

We have a path to legal immigration, for over 1 million people per year. We have a path for green cards for many more, and various types of work visas for even more. We have immigration laws. What we don't have is enforcement and timely adjudication of immigration cases. Simple reform would only require 1 thing - changing the rules to speed up resolution of cases and not allow immigration lawyers to indefinitely delay proceedings.

What we also have are Presidents who use their discretionary powers to ignore enforcement of immigration laws, carve out policies that are contrary to immigration law, create incentives for illegal immigration, and openly encourage illegal immigration.

Reactions: goldmom
You're the one who posted, above:

Trump did NOT follow "the letter of the law", and they upheld it.
Biden DID follow "the letter of the law", and they upheld it.
Read the post #44 where I'm being quoted that Trump followed the law.

I don't know everything about everything, and don't pretend to. I do read SCOTUS opinions before I rush on here to post about them. I try to educate myself.

It's why you post silly stuff like "Trump didn't follow the letter of the law", but SCOTUS still supported him. Biden DID follow the letter of the law, SCOTUS supported him.

Do or do not. There is no try.

America has a long long history of accepting asylum seekers. If changes should be made to the asylum laws, we should make them. Until then, administer the rules as they are written.

Regarding the positive impact of immigrants, they add trillions annualy to the GDP and multiple hundreds of billions in tax revenue to national, state, and local governments. Immigrant workers are essential to the agriculture industry. If you had a pork chop and a salad with a glass of milk for supper, immigrant workers were citical in getting that food to you plate.

Immigrants dominate low wage service and hospitality jobs that are difficult to fill. A relatively high percentage of new immigrants start businesses which create jobs which, in turn, generate more taxable revenue,

Focusing solely on the financial impact to assimilate new immigrants is shallow, superficial, and short sighted.
You make several excellent points and I’m not here to trash your post, but there ARE costs associated with immigration both legal and illegal that cannot be overlooked or diminished.
I wonder if charitable and religious groups suddenly ceased their very significant contributions to helping immigrants both legal and undocumented we would see and understand that there is a huge cost.
Not every person who gets here wants to pick lettuce or work in a packing plant.

Because business needs workers.

The court is just doing the republicans' bidding. While the leaders use populist, anti-immigrant rhetoric to get votes, the corporateers who fund the party are desperate for the low-wage drones and new customers that mass immigration brings to our country.

Without immigration, the US would have seen no or negative population growth over the past 20-30+ years, and would have closet to 270m people, rather than 330m. Immigration is good for business, and big business is the engine that drives the republican party.
Well that is exactly what the leftist wanted to achieve with their ZPG ( zero population growth ) of the late 60's. It pretty much worked with our affluent, upper middle class too. Now we have to depend on others to do the actual work in this country. Reap it lefties...

I don't know everything about everything, and don't pretend to. I do read SCOTUS opinions before I rush on here to post about them. I try to educate myself. As Henry Cuellar said recently, only about 10% to 12% of the people seeking asylum are granted asylum.

We have a path to legal immigration, for over 1 million people per year. We have a path for green cards for many more, and various types of work visas for even more. We have immigration laws. What we don't have is enforcement and timely adjudication of immigration cases. Simple reform would only require 1 thing - changing the rules to speed up resolution of cases and not allow immigration lawyers to indefinitely delay proceedings.

What we also have are Presidents who use their discretionary powers to ignore enforcement of immigration laws, carve out policies that are contrary to immigration law, create incentives for illegal immigration, and openly encourage illegal immigration.
Which ones? I believe Biden is using legit thought processes in his decisions.....You may not like them but some folks do....
Like I said, the current immigration laws are DATED and unenforceable. W cobbled together something that was more contemporary and probably much more workable than what we have now but it was sabotaged by a minority in his own Party......Trump and his folks changed what Obama was doing...and LIED about it all the way to the voting booth.....and totally turned the border (with the help of Abbott) on its ear.
What pisses me off about this immigration thing is for over 20 years its been a mess on the border and even though W got a compromise for something different to try it was nixed by Congress and NOTHING has been done since. Its like the hardcore of the GOP wants this mess to continue forever so they can blame the Dems (even when Dems are not in power) for the problem. The friggin' GOP does NOT have an answer that they can even pass in their own caucus!
So about the only way anyone van grab a handle on this mess is like how Obama, Trump and now Biden have done it.....via EO and the results are not satisfying to anyone concerned. THese folks need to PASS a new immigration bill.

Reactions: sob5
Has the administration rescinded the policy yet. Haven’t seen anything. If not…why not?

Because business needs workers.

The court is just doing the republicans' bidding. While the leaders use populist, anti-immigrant rhetoric to get votes, the corporateers who fund the party are desperate for the low-wage drones and new customers that mass immigration brings to our country.

Without immigration, the US would have seen no or negative population growth over the past 20-30+ years, and would have closet to 270m people, rather than 330m. Immigration is good for business, and big business is the engine that drives the republican party.
Exactly. Now that roe is overturned it's no surprise that the right is going to double down on immigration and exploit more people in a tough spot as Republican leadership pretends to care about the issue. Their donors need the cheap labor and consumers.... they really just want to manipulate the emotions of simpletons like OP and the usual suspects in this thread. It's despicable, and their supporters eat it up hook, line, and sinker every time

Exactly. Now that roe is overturned it's no surprise that the right is going to double down on immigration and exploit more people in a tough spot as Republican leadership pretends to care about the issue. Their donors need the cheap labor and consumers.... they really just want to manipulate the emotions of simpletons like OP and the usual suspects in this thread. It's despicable, and their supporters eat it up hook, line, and sinker every time
Do you think this is a good idea?

Immigration. The wingnut's fallback bitch. Just change the tuner to Fox. Immigration.

Obsessed.
Fixated.
Captivated.
Infatuated.
Consumed.

Reactions: joelbc1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT