ADVERTISEMENT

Why is is so hard to say I’m sorry?

jellyfish10

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2009
I had a disagreement with a friend this weekend that could have easily been squelched with those two simple words. It started out of the blue and typically I don’t like confrontation, but certain things were said that made my blood boil. When I am in the wrong, I apologize. When I am attacked unfairly I will stand up for myself IF the other person is willing to discuss it like adults. However, when it results to yelling and screaming, I’m out.

After the confrontation, it would have been very easy to reconcile if my friend would have just said “I’m sorry.” Instead, there were non apology apologies like “what do you have going on tomorrow? Is there anything left in the garden? Do you have any more gum?”

Why is it so hard for some people to say “I’m sorry?”

giphy.gif

I had a disagreement with a friend this weekend that could have easily been squelched with those two simple words. It started out of the blue and typically I don’t like confrontation, but certain things were said that made my blood boil. When I am in the wrong, I apologize. When I am attacked unfairly I will stand up for myself IF the other person is willing to discuss it like adults. However, when it results to yelling and screaming, I’m out.

After the confrontation, it would have been very easy to reconcile if my friend would have just said “I’m sorry.” Instead, there were non apology apologies like “what do you have going on tomorrow? Is there anything left in the garden? Do you have any more gum?”

a8cfa037-32cf-4828-838e-bf492adeba4f_text.gif

Some people are just narcissists and never will. Sometimes in moments like above cooler heads just need to prevail. If the person is truly sorry and know they're in the wrong they'll eventually apologize. If that person is truly a friend they provide will, if they don't F them.

Reactions: jellyfish10
I think being able to make a sincere apology is a skill that one has to learn and practice.

This is the correct answer. AS someone that has to apologize a lot, it is an acquired skill. LOL

With that said Jellyfish. You simply don't seem like the kind of person that is going to get up in arms pissing match. What was the argument about?

This is the correct answer. AS someone that has to apologize a lot, it is an acquired skill. LOL

With that said Jellyfish. You simply don't seem like the kind of person that is going to get up in arms pissing match. What was the argument about?

I don’t like confrontation. I like life to be peaceful and simple. It takes A LOT for me to get worked up. I’m not going to get into specifics, but some it had to do with kids. And before I get accused of being that parent (my kid can do no wrong, your kid is a fuggin bum) I can assure you, I am not. However once the argument reached a certain level, I had had enough. Unfortunately this friend can occasionally struggle to discuss things like adults and quickly allows things to escalate.

Pride & ego.

/thread

Reactions: jellyfish10
Undoubtedly, and its something I instill in my son to this day.

Being able to admit your wrong is a huge skill and well received in the corporate world.

I’ve seen so many people fired because of this. If you admit you were wrong or made a mistake, we can work to fix it. If you don’t, you make everything worse.

Admit you were wrong, and come in with a plan to make it right.

Human pride does not want to admit a wrong. So it gets
stubborn and refuses to say "I'm sorry." It happens in
marriages, between friends, and co-workers. It takes a
mature adult to say "I'm sorry."

me too. I've had plenty of opportunities to practice apologizing. I'm damn near an expert at the "I'm sorry you feel that way" apologies but have learned how to sincerely admit that "I made a mistake and was wrong and I'm sorry for how my actions affected you" apology. Those are far too infrequent which makes them so refreshing when they come.

ADVERTISEMENT