ADVERTISEMENT

Why Is It OK for Companies to Do Business with Russia?

The U.S. is the world’s number-one spender on the military, and spends as much on the military as do all the next nine nations in the top ten. That includes (in order, after the U.S.): China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, France, Britain, Germany, Japan, India, and South Korea. Except for numbers 2 & 3 on that list, all of them are U.S. allies; and the U.S., France, Britain, and Germany, constitute 4 of the 28 member-nations in NATO.

NATO is, essentially, the club of purchasers of the weapons and services provided by U.S. military contractors. So: military contractors are an enormous lobby in Washington, and they need continual war, in order to be able to satisfy their stockholders. Expenditure of that military budget is spread throughout the U.S., so virtually every member of Congress relies upon the military lobbies, not only for re-election funds, but also for keeping unemployment down in his or her district or state.

As the reformed former CIA operative Ray McGovern documented on 15 May 2014, headlining “How NATO Jabs Russia on Ukraine,” a historic end of the Cold War was agreed to at the Malta Summit on 3 December 1989, and finalized in February 1990, between George H.W. Bush and Mikhail Gorbachev, but was violated by Bill Clinton, and is now being utterly trashed by Barack Obama, via his Ukraine gambit (the subject of this documentary film).

Above all else, Russia doesn’t want to be surrounded by NATO missiles and troops in Russia’s adjoining countries (now NATO-members) of Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, and now, especially (though not yet NATO-member), Ukraine (the latter being especially important as it’s the pipeline route for transit of Russia’s gas supplies to Europe, as well as being the long-established base for Russia’s crucial Black Sea fleet). Here is Ray McGovern’s account of the key agreement between G.H.W. Bush and Mikhail Gorbachev:

“According to Jack Matlock, then-U.S. ambassador to the U.S.S.R. who took part in the Malta summit, the most basic agreement involved (1) Gorbachev’s pledge not to use force in Eastern Europe where the Russians had 24 divisions (some 350,000 troops) in East Germany alone, and (2) Bush’s promise not to ‘take advantage’ of a Soviet withdrawal from Eastern Europe.

In early February 1990, Bush sent Secretary of State James Baker to work out the all-important details directly with Gorbachev and Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze. Ambassador Matlock again was there and took careful notes on the negotiations, which focused on German reunification.

From memory, Matlock told me that Baker tried to convince Gorbachev that it was in Moscow’s interest to let a united Germany remain in NATO. Matlock recalled that Baker began his argument saying something like, ‘Assuming there is no expansion of NATO jurisdiction to the East, not one inch, what would you prefer, a Germany embedded in NATO, or one that can go independently in any direction it chooses.’ [emphasis added]

The implication was that Germany might just opt to acquire nuclear weapons, were it not anchored in NATO. Gorbachev answered that he took Baker’s argument seriously, and wasted little time in agreeing to the deal.

Ambassador Matlock, one of the most widely respected experts on Russia, told me ‘the language used was absolute, and the entire negotiation was in the framework of a general agreement that there would be no use of force by the Soviets and no ‘taking advantage’ by the U.S.”

He added, ‘I don’t see how anybody could view the subsequent expansion of NATO as anything but ‘taking advantage.’”

U.S. President Obama is so determined to tie a noose around the neck of Russia, that he has no hesitation about allying himself with Ukrainian supporters of Adolf Hitler in order to achieve it. And, so, the Ukrainian civil war is the result, and it was sparked by the massacre of hundreds of pro-independence civilians in Odessa on May 2nd, by U.S.-sponsored fascists.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/05/ukrainian-civil-war-started.html
Gorbachev: The topic of “NATO expansion” was not discussed at all, and it wasn’t brought up in those years. I say this with full responsibility. Not a singe Eastern European country raised the issue, not even after the Warsaw Pact ceased to exist in 1991. Western leaders didn’t bring it up, either. Another issue we brought up was discussed: making sure that NATO’s military structures would not advance and that additional armed forces from the alliance would not be deployed on the territory of the then-GDR after German reunification. Baker’s statement, mentioned in your question, was made in that context. Kohl and [German Vice Chancellor Hans-Dietrich] Genscher talked about it.

Everything that could have been and needed to be done to solidify that political obligation was done. And fulfilled. The agreement on a final settlement with Germany said that no new military structures would be created in the eastern part of the country; no additional troops would be deployed; no weapons of mass destruction would be placed there. It has been observed all these years. So don’t portray Gorbachev and the then-Soviet authorities as naïve people who were wrapped around the West’s finger. If there was naïveté, it was later, when the issue arose. Russia at first did not object.

And it's crazy to me that you think these countries shouldn't be able to join NATO because Russia doesn't want them to. Aren't these sovereign countries? Shouldn't they able to join an alliance they feel best protects their interests? Why should they have to do what Russia wants them to do?

Gorbachev: The topic of “NATO expansion” was not discussed at all, and it wasn’t brought up in those years. I say this with full responsibility. Not a singe Eastern European country raised the issue, not even after the Warsaw Pact ceased to exist in 1991. Western leaders didn’t bring it up, either. Another issue we brought up was discussed: making sure that NATO’s military structures would not advance and that additional armed forces from the alliance would not be deployed on the territory of the then-GDR after German reunification. Baker’s statement, mentioned in your question, was made in that context. Kohl and [German Vice Chancellor Hans-Dietrich] Genscher talked about it.

Everything that could have been and needed to be done to solidify that political obligation was done. And fulfilled. The agreement on a final settlement with Germany said that no new military structures would be created in the eastern part of the country; no additional troops would be deployed; no weapons of mass destruction would be placed there. It has been observed all these years. So don’t portray Gorbachev and the then-Soviet authorities as naïve people who were wrapped around the West’s finger. If there was naïveté, it was later, when the issue arose. Russia at first did not object.

And it's crazy to me that you think these countries shouldn't be able to join NATO because Russia doesn't want them to. Aren't these sovereign countries? Shouldn't they able to join an alliance they feel best protects their interests? Why should they have to do what Russia wants them to do?
I don't see a link to the source, though I don't think one is needed. Your own article seems to support my my stance. See bold.

No one is saying they have to do what Russia wants them to do. In fact, Russia illustrated that very point by allowing the Berlin Wall to come down and for Germany to re-unify. All sovereignty is lost and forfeited once they join NATO. NATO is a collective OFFENSIVE alliance. It has always been anti-Russian. There is no aggression from Putin. No one with half a brain believes otherwise. Russia is surrounded by NATO and its military budget is 1/10th of the U.S. and much less than that vs. NATO. It's ridiculous.

You speak of sovereignty while the U.S. attacks anyone who doesn't bend their knee to Washington. Where's the sovereignty in that? Syria is secular and has a 10% Christian population that has lived in peace since the days of Christ. A similar situation existed in Iraq under SH. No more. The fascist NATO alliance is in bed with the apartheid state of Israel and Sunni controlled dictatorships. You know...those bastions of freedom known as Saudi Arabia, where women live in the comfort of knowing they can drive a car with no repercussions. People are allowed to profess another faith w/o fear of beheadings. Oooops! Bad example.

I don't see a link to the source, though I don't think one is needed. Your own article seems to support my my stance. See bold.

No one is saying they have to do what Russia wants them to do. In fact, Russia illustrated that very point by allowing the Berlin Wall to come down and for Germany to re-unify. All sovereignty is lost and forfeited once they join NATO. NATO is a collective OFFENSIVE alliance. It has always been anti-Russian. There is no aggression from Putin. No one with half a brain believes otherwise. Russia is surrounded by NATO and its military budget is 1/10th of the U.S. and much less than that vs. NATO. It's ridiculous.

You speak of sovereignty while the U.S. attacks anyone who doesn't bend their knee to Washington. Where's the sovereignty in that? Syria is secular and has a 10% Christian population that has lived in peace since the days of Christ. A similar situation existed in Iraq under SH. No more. The fascist NATO alliance is in bed with the apartheid state of Israel and Sunni controlled dictatorships. You know...those bastions of freedom known as Saudi Arabia, where women live in the comfort of knowing they can drive a car with no repercussions. People are allowed to profess another faith w/o fear of beheadings. Oooops! Bad example.
Did you not read the 2nd paragraph where Gorbachev says those obligations were fulfilled?

THE TESTIMONY

“I was there when we told the Russians that we were going to make them a member, we were–observer first and then a member”: Lawrence Wilkerson, 3 October 2014, on The Real News Network, at 18:54 in the interview.

“When I spoke with Baker, he agreed that he told Gorbachev that if the Soviet Union allowed German reunification and membership in NATO, the West would not expand NATO ‘one inch to the east’”: Bill Bradley, 22 August 2009, in Foreign Policy.

“Mr. Kohl chose to echo Mr. Baker, not Mr. Bush. The chancellor assured Mr. Gorbachev, as Mr. Baker had done, that ‘naturally NATO could not expand its territory’ into East Germany. … Crucially, the Gorbachev-Kohl meeting ended with a deal, as opposed to the Gorbachev-Baker session the previous day. … Mr. Kohl and his aides publicized this major concession immediately at a press conference. Then they returned home to begin merging the two Germanys under one currency and economic system”: Mary Elise Sarotte, New York Times, 29 November 2009.

“According to records from Kohl’s office, the chancellor chose to echo Baker, not Bush, since Baker’s softer line was more likely to produce the results that Kohl wanted: permission from Moscow to start reunifying Germany. Kohl thus assured Gorbachev that ‘naturally NATO could not expand its territory to the current territory of [East Germany].’ In parallel talks, Genscher delivered the same message to his Soviet counterpart, Eduard Shevardnadze, saying, ‘for us, it stands firm: NATO will not expand itself to the East.’ … But Kohl’s phrasing would quickly become heresy among the key Western decision-makers. Once Baker got back to Washington, in mid-February 1990, he fell in line with the National Security Council’s view and adopted its position. From then on, members of Bush’s foreign policy team exercised strict message discipline, making no further remarks about NATO holding at the 1989 line. Kohl, too, brought his rhetoric in line with Bush’s, as both U.S. and West German transcripts from the two leaders’ February 24–25 summit at Camp David show. Bush made his feelings about compromising with Moscow clear to Kohl: ‘To hell with that!’ he said. ‘We prevailed, they didn’t.’ … In April, Bush spelled out this thinking in a confidential telegram to French President François Mitterrand. … Bush was making it clear to Mitterrand that the dominant security organization in a post–Cold War Europe had to remain NATO — not any kind of pan-European alliance.

My opinion has nothing to do with the Trump mess. Nothing.

I don't see anything wrong with doing business with Russia. In fact, I think it should be encouraged. This is my reasoning - the more Russia depends on the US economically, the less likely Russia will want to go to war with us.

As far as hacking, etc., if that's the criteria, then Germany, France, Israel, and England would all be our enemy right now for tapping their phones and other stuff we haven't been made aware of yet. Influencing elections? We've done that recently too, in Israel, and the UK.

About the only country I wouldn't do business with right now is North Korea, and that's because they have nothing we want, and use the threat of force to get food and supplies for their masses.

Reactions: Monzon

You speak of sovereignty while the U.S. attacks anyone who doesn't bend their knee to Washington. Where's the sovereignty in that?
I think you both make good points.

Yes, peoples should be able to make the alliances that they choose. And yes, we should stop forcing our will down the throats of so many people around he world.

I double FIFY. Crimea should be allowed self-determination. A referendum vote was taken and Washington did not like the results. After the coup, Crimeans were trying to leave Kiev, as they were being violently slaughtered by the Obama backed western Ukraine, anti-Russian fascists. Zbigniew Brzezinski, a descendant of Polish nobility, whose family haled from Galicia, had their territory taken from them by the former Soviet Union. Eastern Ukraine, Donbass and Donetsk, voted over 90% for Yanukovych (a Russian ally). He stood in the way of Ukraine becoming a NATO member. Therefore, he was targeted for extinction by Washington. They want the Black Sea naval ports in Balaclava and Sevastopol. Washington is over there sticking their nose in their business. Not vice versa.

Not even close. Rockefeller had banks in the former USSR. Ford owned the largest truck factory in the world at Kama River, which also made tanks that killed our boys in Vietnam.

We now trade in Vietnam. Sanctions are an act of war. Sanctions killed over 500K women and children in Iraq. Trade is good. Talks are good.

What about the act of war that caused the sanctions?

Which said "act of war" are you talking about

WWJD,

I've come at you before, fairly or unfairly, and I just want to say I commend you for your open mind. You are openly progressive (not always a bad thing), but, you will call your party out when clearly in the wrong. So, hat tip to you.

300c9464e35392faee4f55540adc7513.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT