ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Patrick not playing tonight?

I said all along Patrick needs a year to just get healthy. Cancer and the treatment take a toll on your body. Let him get bigger and faster. I have seen what happens when a person goes through those treatments and it ain’t pretty.

good thing Patrick’s young and he can bounce back. Just give him a year to grow, no need to play him early. Redshirting is not a bad thing.

Hayden you just might be right on this one. Tough to stay focused when you're thinking about the possible return of your child's cancer for the coach too.

Gazette headline this morning says Patrick will redshirt. Nothing in the story indicates that is the case.

He should just redshirt and let him have a year to grow. His body’s been through a gauntlet and needs to rest. Also a year off will allow him to hit the weight room.

I get it Iowa’s depth isn’t great right now, but I think personal health should trump the needs of the team.

Reactions: kcgolfer
I said all along Patrick needs a year to just get healthy. Cancer and the treatment take a toll on your body. Let him get bigger and faster. I have seen what happens when a person goes through those treatments and it ain’t pretty.

good thing Patrick’s young and he can bounce back. Just give him a year to grow, no need to play him early. Redshirting is not a bad thing.
Totally agree with your statement; however, Patrick already regraded in high school, which makes him a year older than other freshman. If he has professional aspirations then the redshirt kind of hurts because of age.

Reactions: kceasthawk
He can’t redshirt as he’s already played in a game. The only option is a medical redshirt which it needs to be health or injury issue along with not playing past the games limit.

He can’t redshirt as he’s already played in a game. The only option is a medical redshirt which it needs to be health or injury issue along with not playing past the games limit.
I think technically it's called a medical hardship, but you are correct. A lot of people make that mistake. Football has changed the rule so you can redshirt after playing (up to 4 games) but I don't think basketball has changed. If you get into a game, you've used the year's eligibility.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Someone always does.

Then he entered school late. My point is his age as a freshman, not how he ended up as an almost 20 year old freshman.

Last edited:
If he is having health issues, wouldn't that be the basis for justifying a redshirt? He's played a grand total of 27 minutes this year. I know that the NCAA has become unpredictable, but surely, given Patrick's past, they would look kindly on the kid getting a medical redshirt under these conditions.

I think technically it's called a medical hardship, but you are correct. A lot of people make that mistake. Football has changed the rule so you can redshirt after playing (up to 4 games) but I don't think basketball has changed. If you get into a game, you've used the year's eligibility.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Someone always does.
From NCAA site

"A redshirt does not play in any college games or scrimmage in a given sport for an entire academic year, even though that student is otherwise eligible. If you do not play in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. However, if you play in even one second of a game as a college student-athlete, you are not a redshirt."

From NCAA site

"A redshirt does not play in any college games or scrimmage in a given sport for an entire academic year, even though that student is otherwise eligible. If you do not play in a sport the entire academic year, you have not used a season of competition. However, if you play in even one second of a game as a college student-athlete, you are not a redshirt."
12.8.3.1.6 Exception—Football. [FBS/FCS] In football, a student-athlete representing a Division I
institution may compete in up to four contests in a season without using a season of competition. (Adopted:
8/8/18 effective 8/1/18 for competition that occurs on or after 8/1/18, Revised: 6/12/19)

I had not read this thread until now but did so because someone in another thread stated that Patrick now will redshirt. I get that in basketball if you step on the court then you can't count the year as a redshirt. It looks as if a medical redshirt might apply but they would have to go through the process. This all looks up in the air to me pending further developments.

Having said that I don't get why Fran played Patrick at all other than him wanting Pat to play a role this year backing up Weiskamp. One way or the other Patrick needed a year to bulk up and get his body in shape to play Big Ten ball. Hope for Patrick's sake that he gets the redshirt year to clear up his medical issues and prepare. From my vantage point his dad made this a more complicated situation than needed.

ADVERTISEMENT