ADVERTISEMENT

Why is sitting out the bowl game more "acceptable" than any other regular season game?

Hence why I said some not all NFL coaches and GMs view skipping the bowl game negatively. You will be raising red flags with some not all coaches. That is an undeniable fact based on direct quotes from the coaches themselves. I do not know why this is so hard for you to understand.

My personal opinion is if you are not a guaranteed top 10 pick it wouldn't be worth raising those red flags with ANY coaches. Obviously your opinion is different. We'll see what happens with Fant.

Yeah like I said it's not surprising for some to go on record with a nice PC quote about the topic. Not taking a player because he skipped the bowl game is another thing entirely which is why it hasn't happened.

Reactions: TugsMcGee
"That would concern me. Depending on what their situation is as a team, because this is a team sport.... But, it would concern me.” -Bruce Arian, AZ Cardinals Head Coach

"Disappointed. I don't like the trend. I don't like the thought.... You've got to judge that as an NFL general manager. They could look negatively on [leaving early]" -Rich McKay, ATL Falcons President

"NFL GM Called Players Skipping Bowl Games to Prep for Draft "Selfish ****s""

"You better be a top draft pick (referencing Mcafferey and Fournette) or your ass better be in the bowl game." -NFL evaluator

The question is not whether skipping the bowl game hurts you in the eyes of some NFL coaches and GMs. Obviously it does. The question is how much does it hurt, and can it actually negatively affect the stock of a borderline 1st-3rd round pick. We do not know yet because no healthy player in Fant's exact situation have skipped a bowl game before.

His projected 40 time is 4.7something. Very middle of the pack for TEs at the combine. His vertical jump is elite. His pass catching is "meh".

This sounds like people who decide how high people get drafted. How would they know anything?

Wow, this thread is chock full of comedy. I like people who decide what's best and, by god, everyone should agree with their decision and make million dollar decisions based on that poster's opinion.

So some coach said players should play. Some poster says they should play. A player decides to play...or not. Guess what, it's their decision, their future. They make the decision based on their situation, their analysis of the data and what they want or need.

Whether or not they made the same decision you would, or came up with the same analysis as you is completely immaterial. The bottom line is that there is no one right answer since the outcome of the game is unknown. If they don't get hurt, play incredibly maybe they improve their stock. If they do play, get an ACL injury, they trash their draft stock. They play, don't get hurt, but don't have a good game...it may or may not hurt their draft stock. If they prep, maybe they improve their measurables and improve their draft stock. There are a lot of different potential outcomes, none of which are certain.

The bottom line is that you can't make a perfect decision with incomplete information. Each person has to evaluate the risks and rewards, the odds of each and make the best decision they can. To come on here and second guess them is simply arrogant and stupid.

As someone posted earlier, if your hand is up and you've made a similar multi-million dollar decision, good for you. Even you don't have a say, because your situation was almost certainly different in one or more ways from other players making this decision each year.

As far as the bowl game being more important than a B1G regular season game with the division title still up for grabs...wow that's about the single most stupid thing posted here. Congrats, you've effectively established your credibility (or lack thereof) for all time. If I were you, I'd change my user name stat.

Whether or not they made the same decision you would, or came up with the same analysis as you is completely immaterial.
This is a board in which fans share their opinions about various things. All of it is immaterial.

As far as the bowl game being more important than a B1G regular season game with the division title still up for grabs...wow that's about the single most stupid thing posted here. Congrats, you've effectively established your credibility (or lack thereof) for all time.

Literally nobody said that. The original debate was about what makes skipping the bowl game any different than skipping an ordinary regular season game (specifically cited as examples were late season games Illinois and Nebraska in which we were out of title contention). Purdue and Northwestern were only brought up as a response to a poster, knowing in retrospect that we weren't a Big 10 title team and still would not be if we had won one of these games.

Wow, this thread is chock full of comedy. I like people who decide what's best and, by god, everyone should agree with their decision and make million dollar decisions based on that poster's opinion.

So some coach said players should play. Some poster says they should play. A player decides to play...or not. Guess what, it's their decision, their future. They make the decision based on their situation, their analysis of the data and what they want or need.

Whether or not they made the same decision you would, or came up with the same analysis as you is completely immaterial. The bottom line is that there is no one right answer since the outcome of the game is unknown. If they don't get hurt, play incredibly maybe they improve their stock. If they do play, get an ACL injury, they trash their draft stock. They play, don't get hurt, but don't have a good game...it may or may not hurt their draft stock. If they prep, maybe they improve their measurables and improve their draft stock. There are a lot of different potential outcomes, none of which are certain.

The bottom line is that you can't make a perfect decision with incomplete information. Each person has to evaluate the risks and rewards, the odds of each and make the best decision they can. To come on here and second guess them is simply arrogant and stupid.

As someone posted earlier, if your hand is up and you've made a similar multi-million dollar decision, good for you. Even you don't have a say, because your situation was almost certainly different in one or more ways from other players making this decision each year.

As far as the bowl game being more important than a B1G regular season game with the division title still up for grabs...wow that's about the single most stupid thing posted here. Congrats, you've effectively established your credibility (or lack thereof) for all time. If I were you, I'd change my user name stat.

Didn't you hear...it's 2018 and if I have a thought and you don't agree with it you're the devil. I know what I know and there's no possibility that I'm wrong because what I feel in my heart is right.

NFL teams and scouts look at a whole bunch of things. Can a bowl game help or hurt of course but a big part of it depends on the competition. Players overall body of work at school, measurables, combine, face to face interviews, interviews with coaches etc, wonderlic scores, etc. Although the chance of injury is not great and playing a bowl game can help, as well as playing in the Senior Bowl and East West game. Having an outstanding bowl outing will only move you up slightly, other intangibles are still used greatly. Getting injured will drop you further on the other hand.
It just will always boil down to individual decisions can this game hurt me or help me more?

Bowl games don't matter, the overall record doesn't matter. It has no effect on next year.

You're playing to win your division and make the championship game, if you don't accomplish that nothing after that matters.

Reality is that a bowl game is just a way for some company to make money.

Im all for a kid doing what ever is in their best interest. They are not getting paid. The university is making many millions off them, and Im ok with that they know what they signed up for but Im also sure as hell ok with the kids looking out for their own money too.

Thats how real like works.
So just as a question, how does everyone feel about Bosa's decision to quit not even half way into the season to prep for the combine. Assuming he could have come back 100% with say four or five games to play, is he not enough of a difference maker, (even on a team as talented as OSU), to possibly make a difference on a title run?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT