ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Stanford getting so much love?

OnceAhawk

HB MVP
Jan 29, 2015
They lost to Northwestern!

But all i hear is excuses. Stanford had to travel across the country for an 11 am game (9 am, per their body clock). One guy interviewed on Fox said that if N'western went to Stanford and played them today, Stanford would beat them by 30.

Well, guess what? That is not going to happen and Stanford lost to Northwestern.

I am sick of the excuses.

Stanford lost to Northwestern.

Enough already.

Because they play Notre Dame in a few weeks, so the media has to pump them up in advance to show us how good the Irish are, win or lose. Hopefully they will do the same with Pitt!

Reactions: icu81222
I share your frustration but would simply say it's due to their body of work over the past several years. Stanford has been good, going to Rose Bowls etc...they have a brand and we're starting to build a good one for ourselves.

They lost to Northwestern!

But all i hear is excuses. Stanford had to travel across the country for an 11 am game (9 am, per their body clock). One guy interviewed on Fox said that if N'western went to Stanford and played them today, Stanford would beat them by 30.

Well, guess what? That is not going to happen and Stanford lost to Northwestern.

I am sick of the excuses.

Stanford lost to Northwestern.

Enough already.

its not unheard of for teams to look out of sync in the opening week of the season, the proverbial work in progress type program? Isn't this the explanation KF and Barta have given for scheduling lower division teams to open the season all these years? Then the old saying teams improve the most between week 1 and 2. Stanford very well could or perhaps would beat NW by 30 if they played this week, you just don't know, but Stanford has put up about 45pts per game in conference play. Last but not least, they have a legit Heisman candidate in McCaffery, who is tearing up that conference in Timmy Dwight type fashion, socring as a receiver, running back and on special teams...I thought I heard he is averaging about 250 all purpose per game, that is pretty impressive.

Its been said many times the past couple weeks...just enjoy the ride Iowa fans. I get that we see and feel slights from the national media, we hear criticism about things we can't control and generally speaking feel disrespected. These type of seasons don't come along too often and things will work themselves out if we keep winning, so just have fun with it.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: jbrowser
Their QB is very overrated. His wind up on his throws looks like a joke.
Also the media needs to pump up someone from the Pac 12 and they are reluctantly putting Utah up there but Stanford has the name and so they really are pushing for Stanford to be good. The truth is the Pac 12 is overrated this year. It will all work out though because I think they will lose another game, utah will lose at least one and no one from the Pac 12 will be in the playoff.

Standford is being talked about because it fits the perception that was already in place. It fits the narrative that the journalists had prior to the season and reinforces their opinions that Stanford is a good team. This was touched on in Jon's article that was linked in another thread. Jon shouldn't have said that the national media "hates" Iowa, it should have been that Iowa doesn't fit their perceptions so they look for any reasons to poke holes in the Iowa story.

I am guilty of this as well because I am not that impressed with Stanford scoring 50 a game because my narrative is that the PAC 12 absolutely sucks on defense. It is interesting because Iowa has had an ok schedule to this point but the perception is that Iowa has an easy schedule so Iowa can't be that good. Also hurting Iowa is that the Wisconsin win was kind of ugly and NW had been popped by Michigan the week before.

I think Iowa's resume is actually quite a bit better than a number of schools, including OSU, but the expectations are that these schools were going to be better and so they are all rated higher. I am not saying that Iowa is better than OSU just that I think Iowa has more impressive wins so far. Hopefully, Iowa will keep winning and show that the media was wrong.

its not unheard of for teams to look out of sync in the opening week of the season, the proverbial work in progress type program? Isn't this the explanation KF and Barta have given for scheduling lower division teams to open the season all these years? Then the old saying teams improve the most between week 1 and 2. Stanford very well could or perhaps would beat NW by 30 if they played this week, you just don't know, but Stanford has put up about 45pts per game in conference play. Last but not least, they have a legit Heisman candidate in McCaffery, who is tearing up that conference in Timmy Dwight type fashion, socring as a receiver, running back and on special teams...I thought I heard he is averaging about 250 all purpose per game, that is pretty impressive.

Its been said many times the past couple weeks...just enjoy the ride Iowa fans. I get that we see and feel slights from the national media, we hear criticism about things we can't control and generally speaking feel disrespected. These type of seasons don't come along too often and things will work themselves out if we keep winning, so just have fun with it.

Go Hawks!
Maybe that says more about how weak the Pac 12 is and how undervalued the Big Ten is....they score 6 against a middle of the pack BigTen school and are throwing up 40+ against Pac 12 teams.....I think Pac 12 and Big 12 are highly over rated, ACC is better this year. Big Ten is good and SEC is the SEC.
Conference Rankings
1) SEC
2) Big 10
3) ACC
4) Big 12
5) American Conference (Some good teams)
6) Pac 12 (Oregon, USC, UCLA all highly over rated preseason)

I think that early season, early start at Northwestern was a tough one as we all know too well that Northwestern can be a tougher out than expected if you are not ready and have the right mind set. Since then they have been rolling....as others have mentioned I am not real convinced of the PAC 12 strength outside of Utah though. ND/Stanford could be an elimination game for high rankings.

Their 2 best Ws were vs USC who was top 10 early on and clearly unworthy of that but at the time sent Stanford back up in the rankings. Beat UCLA who was ranked but again Iowa did the same to N'western ranked 2 spots lower then UCLA last week on the road and now both are unranked.

It's funny how sometimes teams get credit for beating ranked teams who aren't anymore and others who beat ranked teams who fall out of top 25 then don't get credit for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT