ADVERTISEMENT

why is the supreme court encouraging groomers in schools?

Confusing? Were you confused at that age or were you sure of who you are? Queer children have CONFUSING thoughts about who they are which they hold in because they're afraid to discuss it since society ridicules them so much.

They're being encouraged to talk about it rather than adopting psychological problems from holding it in.
And every single data point would show that this fairly recent change has actually lead to more harmful results.

I love titties Bro, always have.

That's a straw man. This case was about one particular thing. Using a publicly funded position and place to effectively compel religious practice by a majority religion. The constitution, not school hiring directors, protects enumerated rights.

He doesn't compel anyone to practice religion.

I'm not even claiming the coach is discriminating. My point was his behavior influences how his players feel about things. By publicly praying, he is advocating for his religion which will have any impact of some of the players.

You could say the same about any adult in their lives and anything that adult does.

Should we get rid of transgender teachers because their transition might influence students to follow suit?

You could say the same about any adult in their lives and anything that adult does.

Should we get rid of transgender teachers because their transition might influence students to follow suit?
I am not saying that anything should happen to the teacher, I'm just pointing out that they have influence. I was a teacher and because of that position whenever I was out in public where children were present I was careful to set a good example.

As for the transgender teacher, I doubt many students feel the need to transition because they see a person that is transgender. The coach was praying and inviting students to join. I think it is much more likely students would join in a prayer because of the coach than transition because of a teacher.

He doesn't compel anyone to practice religion.
That's the eye roll part. Of course the kids are going to feel compelled by the pressure to conform. It is a team sport where they are constantly told to work as a team and sacrifice individuality, etc. This is coach's big thing. He took it to the Supreme Court for goodness sake, etc. The level of head in the sand required to not see the compulsory aspect of this is frankly staggering. I completely understand the desire to engage in a religious practice, but this is absolutely going to force religious practice onto kids through public institutions and funding.

The analogy is inapt. Is there a constitutional amendment that applies to restrict the government on this topic? I can't even imagine what that woudl be. In contrast, we do have constitutional protections against state sponsored religion. This is a public employee, on public property, in a public act engaging in religious activity. This may be a close call, but a secular country errs on the side that does not use public funds, property, etc to promote religion.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
I am not saying that anything should happen to the teacher, I'm just pointing out that they have influence. I was a teacher and because of that position whenever I was out in public where children were present I was careful to set a good example.

As for the transgender teacher, I doubt many students feel the need to transition because they see a person that is transgender. The coach was praying and inviting students to join. I think it is much more likely students would join in a prayer because of the coach than transition because of a teacher.

Maybe but that's the thing. Anything a teacher does could influence the kids.

So instead of trying to eliminate it all maybe we should just ask if what the teacher is doing is hurting anyone or forcing someone into anything.

Maybe but that's the thing. Anything a teacher does could influence the kids.

So instead of trying to eliminate it all maybe we should just ask if what the teacher is doing is hurting anyone or forcing someone into anything.
Do you think there should be any differences in how they behave at school and school events than on their time off? I think the difference is this was happening at a school event where he was an authority figure.

I agree with the ruling in theory, but at the same time I can see this being abused.

Do you think there should be any differences in how they behave at school and school events than on their time off? I think the difference is this was happening at a school event where he was an authority figure.

I agree with the ruling in theory, but at the same time I can see this being abused.

I don't think the behavioral expectations need to be all that different from most other work places. I mean there is obvious differences between a work place and outside of home. But I don't think the behavioral expectations at a school should be all that different from any other work place.

If I pray in my office, no one at work is gonna have a hissy fit.

I don't think the behavioral expectations need to be all that different from most other work places. I mean there is obvious differences between a work place and outside of home. But I don't think the behavioral expectations at a school should be all that different from any other work place.

If I pray in my office, no one at work is gonna have a hissy fit.
Do you work for the state? Are you a boss or supervisor? Do you pray where everyone can watch? Do you invite the whole office to pray with you?

Do you work for the state? Are you a boss or supervisor? Do you pray where everyone can watch? Do you invite the whole office to pray with you?

My office doesn't really have a door on it so anyone who walks past can easily see what I'm doing.

I don't invite the whole office to pray with me but if I did again no one is going to have a hissy fit. It would just be a little odd. Same thing if the boss did that.

I don't work for the state but I don't think that should matter. As long as he's not imposing this on anyone and by all accounts he's not. No one has complained that their not-praying child isn't playing.

This coach is a complete scum bag! Seriously, what a tool. Taking this as far as he has is a complete joke and a waste of time and money, what a selfish POS. Pray on your own time, or join a religious school where it’s completely accepted. JFC, stupid groomers.

My office doesn't really have a door on it so anyone who walks past can easily see what I'm doing.

I don't invite the whole office to pray with me but if I did again no one is going to have a hissy fit. It would just be a little odd. Same thing if the boss did that.

I don't work for the state but I don't think that should matter. As long as he's not imposing this on anyone and by all accounts he's not. No one has complained that their not-praying child isn't playing.
Whether you are a boss or work for the state are very important questions. Jefferson said there should be a "wall of separation between the church and the state", that's why where you work is relevant. Also if you are a boss or supervisor, your actions are more likely to make subordinates feel like they "should" pray along with you.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Whether you are a boss or work for the state are very important questions. Jefferson said there should be a "wall of separation between the church and the state", that's why where you work is relevant. Also if you are a boss or supervisor, your actions are more likely to make subordinates feel like they "should" pray along with you.

I don't know about you but I would not feel compelled to pray with my boss should he do that.

Quite frankly I'm not sure if I would anyways.

I don't know about you but I would not feel compelled to pray with my boss should he do that.

Quite frankly I'm not sure if I would anyways.
Well, you are a grown man. These were minor children. And yes I have participated in group prayer at work because I felt like it was expected. Every year on the day before school started the town's pastoral association would provide breakfast for school staff and lead a prayer for a good school year. Did it hurt me, no, but it would have seemed rude to not participate.

Well, you are a grown man. These were minor children. And yes I have participated in group prayer at work because I felt like it was expected. Every year on the day before school started the town's pastoral association would provide breakfast for school staff and lead a prayer for a good school year. Did it hurt me, no, but it would have seemed rude to not participate.

You were only compelled then by fear of seeming rude. That's not terribly compelling . . . Wasn't like the school was going to fire you or reduce your salary for not going.

You were only compelled then by fear of seeming rude. That's not terribly compelling . . . Wasn't like the school was going to fire you or reduce your salary for not going.
Probably not, the point is I was an adult who felt the need to go along with the group. Don't you think it's possible some of the teenage football players felt the same way?

Probably not, the point is I was an adult who felt the need to go along with the group. Don't you think it's possible some of the teenage football players felt the same way?

Possible but I think part of growing up is learning to not go along with the group when it's important to you.

Everyone needs to have some courage in their convictions. Likewise I think we should respect people for having courage in their convictions rather then dismiss them for it.

Possible but I think part of growing up is learning to not go along with the group when it's important to you.

Everyone needs to have some courage in their convictions. Likewise I think we should respect people for having courage in their convictions rather then dismiss them for it.
Great goal, but not everyone, especially teenagers, have that kind of courage. I hope you apply this belief to other situations when you disagree with the actions of a teacher or leader.

Great goal, but not everyone, especially teenagers, have that kind of courage. I hope you apply this belief to other situations when you disagree with the actions of a teacher or leader.

Thing that would help it along is if we stopped punishing people for applying theirs.

It should not take a great deal of courage in this country to say "I don't believe in this, I'm not going to do it." But unfortunately that's not where we are.

Thing that would help it along is if we stopped punishing people for applying theirs.

It should not take a great deal of courage in this country to say "I don't believe in this, I'm not going to do it." But unfortunately that's not where we are.
Did you get a chance to check out my example in the longer football coach thread from yesterday? Do you really think it shouldn't take a great deal of courage to buck decades of a coach leading his team in prayer before taking the field?

Reactions: gohawks50
Too bad we can't apply this sentiment to other controversial subjects like abortion, gay marriage, Marijuana, contraceptives, etc. Then everyone could make their own choices.

Too bad we can't apply this sentiment to other controversial subjects like abortion, gay marriage, Marijuana, contraceptives, etc. Then everyone could make their own choices.

Abortion unlike the others kills a child inside the mother.

But for the rest of them I would say you are correct. People should be free to make their own choices provided the law requires responsibility for those choices.

Abortion unlike the others kills a child inside the mother.

But for the rest of them I would say you are correct. People should be free to make their own choices provided the law requires responsibility for those choices.

The question is when does the fetus become a child? There are many different view points on when this occurs, most of those views come from a religious perspective.

What kinds of responsibilities are you thinking about regarding the rest of my list?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT