ADVERTISEMENT

Why is this guy not in the Baseball HOF ?

cause for a corner spot he hit 186 homers and had less than 2000 hits and sported a slashes of .298/.289/.848 (which is about what Jayson Worth put up last year)

Originally posted by ANYCHawk:
cause for a corner spot he hit 186 homers and had less than 2000 hits and sported a slashes of .298/.289/.848 (which is about what Jayson Worth put up last year)

While I agree, I don't think his OBP was. 289, was it?

To the OP, he out up better averages and a better WAR than quite a few current HOF LFs (Jim Rice being one). But he lacks in counting stats, which ANYC pointed out. In addition, he has the added detriment to have a LOT of historical greats as contemporaries, similar to Ron Santo in that regard. When you don't stack up well against the best of your era or the best at your position, you don't stand out to voters.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by SSG T:

To the OP, he out up better averages and a better WAR than quite a few current HOF LFs (Jim Rice being one). But he lacks in counting stats, which ANYC pointed out. In addition, he has the added detriment to have a LOT of historical greats as contemporaries, similar to Ron Santo in that regard. When you don't stack up well against the best of your era or the best at your position, you don't stand out to voters.
.389...my fingers are too fat to use this phone. To order a special dialing wand mash the keypad now.

Originally posted by SSG T:

.389...my fingers are too fat to use this phone. To order a special dialing wand mash the keypad now.
fingersyouhaveusedtodial.png

During the 1950's the AL only had 8 teams and
Minoso was overshadowed by outfielders like
Al Kaline, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, etc.

Reactions: joelbc1
I met Mr. Minoso in 1993 or 1994 in, of all places, the Cubby Bear bar near Wrigley Field. It was a quiet weeknight and he was sitting alone drinking a beer. My buddy said "That's Minnie Minoso." I replied "You are wasted." "Yeah," he said, "but that's Minnie Minoso. Look over there." He pointed to a b/w photo of Minoso on the wall. It was the older gentleman at the bar, much younger. The bartender confirmed it. I tentatively approached him and asked "Can I shake your hand Mr. Minoso?" We shook and he said "Call me Minnie."

I know, CSB, but Dad thought it was a cool story.

Statistically, Minnie would be a hard fit for the HoF...However, to those of us old enough to appreciate Minnie Minosa, he probably should get in. He was the first black (Cuban) to play in the AL He was a teammate of Larry Doby, who was the first AL black ballplayer, I believe. He was a budding star for Cleveland and then traded to the White Sox. Minosa was later traded back to Cleveland. He was fast...and his specialty was his running gait,,,he hit a lot of doubles and triples back in his day. He was a fearless outfielder and was not afraid to give up his body to get on base. He led the AL often in HBP.
Late in his career, he was traded to the Cardinals and then, then death knell...to the Washington Senators, where all ballplayers went to die.
After his baseball playing career, he came back as a base coach for the White Sox. Minnie was a helluva player. He probably won't get into the HoF because he's been out of baseball and many have never known his greatness. However, if Minnie gets voted into the Hall, I think he certainly is deserving.

Minosa's statistics are similar to Doby's...and Doby is (deservedly) in the baseball HoF.
This post was edited on 3/1 5:20 PM by joelbc1

Minoso played at the wrong time in the wrong league. He was a speed guy who exceled at doubles and triples when the AL was basically a slow pitch softball league. I am convinced that because the AL integrated more slowly than the NL the style of the game didn't match his.
Also, he arrived too late. As mentioned his age was always in question. Minoso himself couldn't seem to nail down his exact age. Record keeping in Cuba in that era wasn't so precise. If he'd arrived as a younger man (In an integrated MLB), he'd have accumulated much better numbers. Best anyone can guess he was late 20's when he arrived.

As were players like Jackie Jensen, Jim Piersall, Rocky Colovito and countless others. The 50's had the greatest outfielders the game has ever seen from offense and defensive POV.....Williams, Mantle and Kaline, with Jensen, Piersal and Colovito as backups...and then the National League.....Mays, Aaron, Duke Snyder, Frank Robinson, Richie Ashburn, off the top of my head. Minoso played in the All Star (AL) game a lot....7-8 times, I bet. There is no shame playing behind the position players he did.

Back in the NYC at one time you had Duke Snyder, Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle playing in center field for the respective teams.

The 59 White Sox had Minoso, Jim Landis, and Al Smith in their outfield. Not many balls made it through the gaps. It may have been the best defensive and best running outfields of all time.

Originally posted by joelbc1:
As were players like Jackie Jensen, Jim Piersall, Rocky Colovito and countless others. The 50's had the greatest outfielders the game has ever seen from offense and defensive POV.....Williams, Mantle and Kaline, with Jensen, Piersal and Colovito as backups...and then the National League.....Mays, Aaron, Duke Snyder, Frank Robinson, Richie Ashburn, off the top of my head. Minoso played in the All Star (AL) game a lot....7-8 times, I bet. There is no shame playing behind the position players he did.

Back in the NYC at one time you had Duke Snyder, Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle playing in center field for the respective teams.
Trader Frank Lane may have made the biggest bonehead deal since Tom Yawkey's Red Sox when he traded Rocky Colavito
for Harvey Kuenn. This trade became the inspiration for one of my favorite books, " The Curse of Rocky Colavito". I would highly recommend it for any of you who followed baseball in the 50s and 60s.

Ah! Frank Lane....aka Frantic Frank Lane, now there is a name outta the baseball past......not to be confused with the musical legend Frankie Laine.
Frank Lane would wheel and deal.....he never saw a trade he didn't like....hence, "Frantic Frank".......

Originally posted by CarolinaHawkeye:
Trader Frank Lane may have made the biggest bonehead deal since Tom Yawkey's Red Sox when he traded Rocky Colavito
for Harvey Kuenn. This trade became the inspiration for one of my favorite books, " The Curse of Rocky Colavito". I would highly recommend it for any of you who followed baseball in the 50s and 60s.
Damn carolina....thart damned Rocco Colovito could play a bit. What a friggin' build the guy had. Back in the late 50's early 60's there were some players built like brick shit houses........Colovito, Joe Adcock, Ed Matthews, Ted Kluzewski...(rememeber he had the sleeves removed from his uniform cause his arms were so big), Moose Skowron, Don Drysdale, Dick Seivers, Harmon Killebrew.....these were but a few of some really big guys from back in those days. Colovito and Adcock were really big guys. They could have used their arms as bats.

Damn carolina....thart damned Rocco Colovito could play a bit. What a friggin' build the guy had. Back in the late 50's early 60's there were some players built like brick shit houses........Colovito, Joe Adcock, Ed Matthews, Ted Kluzewski...(rememeber he had the sleeves removed from his uniform cause his arms were so big), Moose Skowron, Don Drysdale, Dick Seivers, Harmon Killebrew.....these were but a few of some really big guys from back in those days. Colovito and Adcock were really big guys. They could have used their arms as bats.
I still believe baseball in the 50s and 60s was a much better product than today. Maybe because at most we saw one game a week on tv. I'm sure you know that Moose Skowron played football for Purdue.

I still believe baseball in the 50s and 60s was a much better product than today. Maybe because at most we saw one game a week on tv. I'm sure you know that Moose Skowron played football for Purdue.
My brother and I had lunch and a ballgame with Moose a couple of years ago at White Sox Park. He mentioned he was a Purdue attendee/supporter and he really Iowa football. Moose was entertaining and told "stories" the whole damn game. Hius favorite was his lending a bat to Ted Williams at batting practice and William's hitting a home run with it in the game....and Casey Stengel finding out about it and fining Moose $100!
I miss the characters of baseball that were everywhere back in the 50's and 60's. Remember Jimmy Piersall chasing fans into the stands.....him going to the monuments in CF of old Yankee Stadium and talking to Babe Ruth's statue during a pitching change? Jimmy and Billy Martin going underneath the stands and "settling it" before a Red Sox/Yankee game? Jackie Jemsen of the Red Sox ending his quite successful baseball career because he couldn't fly and trips to the West Coast were requiring air transport?

My brother and I had lunch and a ballgame with Moose a couple of years ago at White Sox Park. He mentioned he was a Purdue attendee/supporter and he really Iowa football. Moose was entertaining and told "stories" the whole damn game. Hius favorite was his lending a bat to Ted Williams at batting practice and William's hitting a home run with it in the game....and Casey Stengel finding out about it and fining Moose $100!
I miss the characters of baseball that were everywhere back in the 50's and 60's. Remember Jimmy Piersall chasing fans into the stands.....him going to the monuments in CF of old Yankee Stadium and talking to Babe Ruth's statue during a pitching change? Jimmy and Billy Martin going underneath the stands and "settling it" before a Red Sox/Yankee game? Jackie Jemsen of the Red Sox ending his quite successful baseball career because he couldn't fly and trips to the West Coast were requiring air transport?
The Red Sox probably could have played those Angels without Jackie Jensen. He was an all-American football player at Cal. He was originally signed by the Yankees as a replacement for DiMaggio, but then some guy named Mantle appeared on the scene and he was traded to the Senators.
Casey Stengel was a character as well. He never used a pitching rotation, opting to save Whitey Ford for big games. Ford never won 20 until Ralph Houk became the manager.
I read a book about Jimmy Piersall years ago. He suffered from mental illness and some wonder what he could have been had he not suffered so much.

The Red Sox probably could have played those Angels without Jackie Jensen. He was an all-American football player at Cal. He was originally signed by the Yankees as a replacement for DiMaggio, but then some guy named Mantle appeared on the scene and he was traded to the Senators.
Casey Stengel was a character as well. He never used a pitching rotation, opting to save Whitey Ford for big games. Ford never won 20 until Ralph Houk became the manager.
I read a book about Jimmy Piersall years ago. He suffered from mental illness and some wonder what he could have been had he not suffered so much.
Piersall was a really good ballplayer. Fearless. Great arm. Good bat. Had some speed, too. He was "bipolar" long before bipolar was understood.
My favorite Piersall story has to do with White Sox Park "Disco Destruction Night"....As the fires grew and spread and the fans poured onto the field, Harry Carey (on the radio) said, "Jimmy, I think these folks are crazy!" Piersall replied, "Yes Harry, they are. I have been there and I should know,"

Minoso played at the wrong time in the wrong league. He was a speed guy who exceled at doubles and triples when the AL was basically a slow pitch softball league. I am convinced that because the AL integrated more slowly than the NL the style of the game didn't match his.
Also, he arrived too late. As mentioned his age was always in question. Minoso himself couldn't seem to nail down his exact age. Record keeping in Cuba in that era wasn't so precise. If he'd arrived as a younger man (In an integrated MLB), he'd have accumulated much better numbers. Best anyone can guess he was late 20's when he arrived.
If the AL was a "slow pitch softball league" what the hell was the NL? Back in the 50s (Miny's heyday), the AL owned the NL. Just say in'.....

If the AL was a "slow pitch softball league" what the hell was the NL? Back in the 50s (Miny's heyday), the AL owned the NL. Just say in'.....

why the hell are you bumping a random year old post? Better yet why/how did you find a random year old post?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT