ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Trump so desperate to ram in his pick before the election?

It’s a win-win for Republicans. They ram it through, Supreme Court is likely right leaning for 30 years. They just have to count on Dems not stacking the courts or fighting back, which they have shown no real signs of fighting back lately.

RBG said in 2016 that Obama should move ahead with his lame duck SCOUTS nomination of Merrick Garland. Just fulfilling her wishes.

• Haha
Reactions: MWardT
I don’t understand the politics of voting before the election. If you wait, you get to make the election about abortion, not COVID. It seems like malpractice to vote early.

Furthermore this vote threatens to destabilize the GOP coalition Evangelicals won’t need the GOP anymore. If I was a Republican politician I would pretend to have principles and come out against the vote in hopes that Biden saves them. Because if they seat a justice they loose the abortion issue.

Either the court strikes It down and the pro life coalition breaks up. Or the court doesn’t strike it down and the GOP is dejected

For those reasons I expect they are only pretending to push this vote through before the election. I feel like it’s a safe bet to assume this is another lie. They know their voters won’t mind.

I don’t understand the politics of voting before the election. If you wait, you get to make the election about abortion, not COVID. It seems like malpractice to vote early.

Furthermore this vote threatens to destabilize the GOP coalition Evangelicals won’t need the GOP anymore. If I was a Republican politician I would pretend to have principles and come out against the vote in hopes that Biden saves them. Because if they seat a justice they loose the abortion issue.

Either the court strikes It down and the pro life coalition breaks up. Or the court doesn’t strike it down and the GOP is dejected

For those reasons I expect they are only pretending to push this vote through before the election. I feel like it’s a safe bet to assume this is another lie. They know their voters won’t mind.
Trump doesn't intend to win the election through the voters. He intends to use the courts to block Biden and declare himself the victor. Hell, guy said today he will use an Executive Order barring Biden from becoming president. Trump has zero interest in holding a legitimate election.

Trump and all the Republicans ran on putting conservatives on the court.

They're just fulfilling their campaign promises.
Your claim that Obama could push through his pick is what makes zero sense. We already know the Rs don't care about anything but staying in power, including moving heaven and earth to stack the courts

Reactions: Torg and Tom Paris

I don't think they can actually hand over the abortion football. They would have to switch to defense on the subject while igniting a coalition like the suffragate movement.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Trump doesn't intend to win the election through the voters. He intends to use the courts to block Biden and declare himself the victor. Hell, guy said today he will use an Execitive Order barring Biden from becoming president. Trump has zero interest in holding a legitimate election.
I’d actually prefer the coup happen this way. It will be far easier to know we we’re screwed this way than if they just change the votes.

Your claim that Obama could push through his pick is what makes zero sense. We already know the Rs don't care about anything but staying in power, including moving heaven and earth to stack the courts
And Ds care about something other than obtaining power? Obama didn't challenge McConnell in 2016 because he believed Hillary would pick up the batton and finish the job for him. No one in the party was worried about losing the power to pack the court themselves. They gambled and they lost.
RBG herself said there is nothing in the Constitution that says a president can't appoint Supreme Court Justices in their last year in office. And we don't even know that this will be Trump's last year in office.

And Ds care about something other than obtaining power? Obama didn't challenge McConnell in 2016 because he believed Hillary would pick up the batton and finish the job for him. No one in the party was worried about losing the power to pack the court themselves. They gambled and they lost.
RBG herself said there is nothing in the Constitution that says a president can't appoint Supreme Court Justices in their last year in office. And we don't even know that this will be Trump's last year in office.
Another poster divorced from reality. Might as well sign up for another semester at Trump U with this argument.

Another poster divorced from reality. Might as well sign up for another semester at Trump U with this argument.
I guess that means you know I'm right and you know you don't have a legitimate argument. Unless you have something other than insults and personal attacks, I am going to assume you can't dispute any of the facts I have written.

Reactions: lr1007

A lot of good it’s done them. Legitimized same sex marriages, no material change in Roe v. Wade, etc.

Just wait another 50 years evangelicals, patience is a virtue.

Seriously?

Yes, seriously. If Trump thought he was on a good pathway for reelection, he would be campaigning like a real candidate. Not making promises to refuse the results and sign EOs banning Biden from office.

Packing the court for his promised challenge when he loses is just another undemocratic assault on our whole system of government.

It is straight up dictator behavior.

Op just wanted to say "ram his pick".

d2486421f18944814450ef5b3b9ba94a.jpg

Reactions: funksouljon
Yes, seriously. If Trump thought he was on a good pathway for reelection, he would be campaigning like a real candidate. Not making promises to refuse the results and sign EOs banning Biden from office.

Packing the court for his promised challenge when he loses is just another undemocratic assault on our whole system of government.

It is straight up dictator behavior.

Mitch knows Trump isn’t going to win. Trump, talks a game, but I’d wager he realizes he’s in trouble.

Trump and all the Republicans ran on putting conservatives on the court.

They're just fulfilling their campaign promises.
Trump doesn’t know his ass from his elbow in this arena. He knows he has a list and nominating a Supreme Court justice is one of the biggest things a president does and he likes that he has had three chances. He probably gets excited thinking it could possibly be known as the Trump Court for years and years.

Seems to me that a man confident in his reelection chances wouldn't need to do such a thing.

I say it is multi-fold. He wants to be able to say one of the major pieces of work he accomplished is 3 SC Judges appointed. Ignoring that it was dumb luck 2 fell in his lap, he wants to say he got 3 in during 1 term. Just like he brags about how many federal judges he has appointed. Again, Cocaine Mitch held up many of those from Obama's term, but Trump brags about his record # of appointments. He doesn't even seem to understand that was due to MM, but you can't debate with stupid.
Two, he wants that judge in place, because I think he is worried about the outcome (his false bravado is just that), I think he likes the idea of the backstop on the election. He has another "of his judges" in place, so it helps the potential law suits to protest if he doesn't win to somehow thinking this will curry favor for him during the appeals process. I think he has been setting the stage for "a stolen election" for at least a year at this point.
Third, cause screw the Dems. He did what they wanted to do, so we get to "stick it to the far left loonies".
Fourth - He does understand the conservative judges help the conservative leaning, so that will bode well for the next 2 months of campaigning. I don't think he really cares about the next 30 years influence, but it might help his kids if they need a judge they can lean on. He views them as "my judges" which implies he might be able to get favors and feels that can be carried to his kids, who likely also believe this has set them up for political runs later. He has already said as much on future Trump candidates.
E. I think in some way, him saying he gave these judges their position, makes him feel better about all the times he was denied a winning decision in court. He gets to have the power that he gave them this positions. All an ego trip, separate but definitely tied the above.

She could of blew out 80 candles and walked away with Obama able to select who ever he wanted. But here we are. September Surprise!!
Lets be honest. Ruth could have retired in 2013 and Mitch would have kept the seat empty for 4 years

Reactions: Torg
ADVERTISEMENT