ADVERTISEMENT

Why Isn't the EU Giving Ukraine All the Weapons It Needs While the US Twiddles Its Thumbs?

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
We know what's been going on in the US for the last 6 months or so. And we've heard bold language from the EU. Yet Ukraine still lacks the promised support.

Why hasn't the EU filled the void?

We'll get there eventually. I suppose. (Or will we?) But until then, why hasn't the EU delivered everything Ukraine needs? They make the right noises. It's in their back yard. They have the money. What's the holdup?

I get it that some armaments that the EU states could offer came from us originally, and require our authorization. But bullets don't. Nor a lot of other ordnance.

What's the problem?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
the EU knows this war was over before it started. biden smoke and mirrors. they don't want to get involved in the charade .

EU is not totally invested in this fiasco,... They still remember a Ukraine that was a corrupt greasy stain on the map of Europe, not the modern reincarnation of colonial America fighting for it's freedom, as it's currently made out to be...

Reactions: KFsdisciple
We know what's been going on in the US for the last 6 months or so. And we've heard bold language from the EU. Yet Ukraine still lacks the promised support.

We'll get there eventually. I suppose. (Or will we?) But until then, why hasn't the EU delivered everything Ukraine needs? They make the right noises. It's in their back yard. They have the money. What's the holdup?

I get it that some armaments that the EU states could offer came from us originally, and require our authorization. But bullets don't. Nor a lot of other ordnance.

What's the problem?
I think they’ve depleted their own stockpiles (which are nothing like ours, we’ve been at war somewhere for decades), and aren’t willing to go farther until they’re fighting.
Most of the equipment that has been sent has been surplus.
So Ukraine is getting what they can buy abroad or produce.
Germans did say they would move another Patriot battery to Ukraine.

Plenty? Hardly.

They know exactly what's been going in in the US. They should have carried the full load until we came to our senses . . . and they didn't.
How big is the gap between ‘we’ll give you this to fight an injustice’ and ‘we’ll give you this because we fear for our lives’?

What's the problem?
Because paying for everything is America's job

What's the problem?
Why isn’t the UN?

it’s a fair question and one I assume they will be asking themselves if and when Ukraine falls and Russia inches a step closer.

Why isn’t the UN?
Not their job - unless and until the Security Council votes for it.

And they really aren't prepared for serious action.

Besides, it's always a bunch of soldiers from this nation or that, who often don't seem too committed to the effort. Korea being the only exception I can think of off hand.

The UN's weakness in the peace keeping arena is of the things that should be fixed; but it won't be. We'd rather be Lone Ranger or go through NATO. Giving the UN any real power might mean we couldn't always call the shots.

Because the UN is borderline worthless in these types of situations.

The only thing the UN is good at nowadays is humanitarian aid.

Resolving conflicts around the world? Pretty useless
Sad, but true. I wish we (America) could get behind the UN and fix its flaws. But we'd rather keep it crippled, and use it to rubber stamp our international aggression.

Sad, but true. I wish we (America) could get behind the UN and fix its flaws. But we'd rather keep it crippled, and use it to rubber stamp our international aggression.
It’s not the United States fault that a large portion of the member nations are made up of garbage shit hole countries.
Add to that a security council that has China and Russia on it.

Unworkable mess of an organization

All? Of course not. Nor were the only bad actor on the scene. But the American empire - especially after the reconstruction of Europe - owns a lot of the harm done in this world.
There was this country called the USSR.

It engaged in what was called the “Cold War” with this other country called the United States.

These two countries competed for influence throughout the world.

This “Cold War” necessitated some sober geopolitical decisions in order to defeat what the US perceived as the threat posed by a USSR dominated world.

The US eventually won that Cold War and the world is a better place for it.

People like you seem to conveniently forget that this “Cold War” was actually a thing.

Maybe you think the Soviet Union should have won the Cold War…I don’t share that belief.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT