ADVERTISEMENT

Why it's time to give Padilla a shot

downtown hawk redux

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2006
Lewisville
I don"t plan to spend a lot of time wallowing in the misery fest this weekend, but I think we've reached an inflection point at QB.

First, it's not all Petras' fault. The o-line blocking is just not good and Brian did his offense no favors either. Did we ever even attempt to roll out? That 4th and 1 screamed for a pitch outside and well, I'll just leave it at that.

But we're just too limited with Petras right now. We don't block well enough to give him time and he simply won't step up and climb the pocket to avoid the outside rush and he can't escape and improvise when things break down, as they did most of the day.

I think Padilla would have struggled a little too with that defense, but the difference between him and Petras, besides 4 inches of height. is that he can escape and make a play other than throwing it away.

He's more mobile and can move Around and buy time. If our pass pro is going to continue to play this poorly (a lot of it is youth, but that doesn't cover it all), then you need someone who can extend plays. The play he made by escaping a blitz and making a nice throw late highlights what I'm talking about. Yes, I know it was garbage time, but it is what we need right now.

I like Spencer. No doubt a great kid, hard worker, etc., but he just doesn't have the ability to improvise or buy time and for some reason just doesn't see the field. At this point in his career, he should be more advanced and polished to look like he did in the first half. Our pass pro is just plain bad too, but you can't be a deer in the headlights at this stage. And you can't miss an easy throw when the opportunity arises, however infrequently.

Will it happen? Don't know, but I think, or maybe hope, putting him in with 8 minutes to go was more than just protecting Petras.

Sorry, I know this is a long diatribe, but I think it's time to see what Padilla can do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News