ADVERTISEMENT

Why no smoke on Bob Stoops for Texas?

ukrainehawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2005
There's so much smoke about Tom Herman being forced out at Texas, and who might come next. Why doesn't anyone talk about Bob Stoops for Texas? After the State of Texas sent Hayden to Iowa, shouldn't we send someone from Iowa and Oklahoma (and Ohio) back to them?

There's so much smoke about Tom Herman being forced out at Texas, and who might come next. Why doesn't anyone talk about Bob Stoops for Texas? After the State of Texas sent Hayden to Iowa, shouldn't we send someone from Iowa and Oklahoma (and Ohio) back to them?
What is Bob, 60 or 61 years old? Does he even want to coach anymore ? His age is probably the reason his name isn't coming up .

Reactions: rchawk

Lol

The Horns are in hot pursuit of urban meyer. Not saying they will get him, but he is the number one option

Reactions: CO_hawk
That would be like Fry or Ferentz going to Iowa State.

Reactions: VodkaSam
There is absolutely zero chance or interest Bob Stoops would have ever coaching Texas. His son Drake is currently starting at slot receiver for OU for one thing.

Another thing is that he knows what a dumpster fire the culture is at Texas...they eat coaches alive there. Urban knows that too.

Reactions: frydaze
There was smoke...on the UT message boards where delusional thoughts reign supreme.

Bob is an OU employee to the tune of like $375k a year, or something like that (constantly out golfing with big $ donors and at fund raising events). Lives in Norman, in a crazy mansion as you'd expect, where his kids all go to school (daughter might have graduated actually...and yeah, she's hot). Drake clearly plays and Bob is in the suite every game with wifey. Drake will be a Soph again next year, so 3 more years to play.

Add to it that Bob coached at OU last week (whole D staff out with covid contact tracing - since he's an employee I guess they could easily make the move) and he's remaining in OU's covid protocol in case Riley needs him to coach again. He was prepared to be a position coach on the sidelines last week, if needed. We were all rooting for it to happen.

Plus, he's out pushing the tequila line, which I hear is doing quite well. He might even get involved in the XFL again, although that's just a guess more than having any info. Guy golfs constantly, owns property all over and was traveling a ton prior to covid chaos.

I honestly don't even see Bob taking a college job again and if he did, Iowa is it. Anything else would be shocking. Bob always said he'd retire early and enjoy life after watching his dad die early and unexpectedly. He created the perfect out and transition out of the game and took it. Never a guy who cared about fame and the spotlight. Can't imagine they need more money. I'm sure he misses it, but can't imagine he gives up what he has to coach again.

The Horns are in hot pursuit of urban meyer. Not saying they will get him, but he is the number one option

Texas is so delusional. First, they all thought it was a done deal. The bloggers/writes fed the fire with "sources told me" shit. Then it came out that he wasn't coming. Everyone backed off.

Then they all talked themselves into this just being cover. They're only saying he's not coming at this point b/c the plan is to steal all tOSU assistants and he doesn't want to disrupt the season. So right when the season is done they're going to announce it. That's the current line of thinking.

Reality is, those in the know are saying that it's more likely Herman gets another year. Give it like a month and they'll all have themselves convinced that Herman is gonna get it done and the talent is there and 2021 is their year. Then by this time next year we'll be back here. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Reactions: dekhawk
Scott Frost to Texas....LOL Wasn't he supposed to be a super coach? Maybe he is just in the wrong conference. LOL I don't think Urban would want any part of that train wreck, and Stoops, although he would probably consider coaching again would not be interested in Texas. I think Stoop would much rather be the next Hawkeye coach then the next Longhorn coach.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Scott Frost to Texas....LOL Wasn't he supposed to be a super coach? Maybe he is just in the wrong conference. LOL I don't think Urban would want any part of that train wreck, and Stoops, although he would probably consider coaching again would not be interested in Texas. I think Stoop would much rather be the next Hawkeye coach then the next Longhorn coach.
Well, at least in the big 12, Frost wouldn't have to figure out that "defense thing"....... ;)

Reactions: redghost1974
Bob Stoops to Iowa

Tom Herman to the Titty Bar

Urban Meyer only might come back for ND, nothing else.

I think Meyer only "talked" to Texas to piss Herman off for spouting his mouth during the Zach Smith drama.

Reactions: CarterHall
Whoever the Texas coach is on October 23, 2021, they will be under immense pressure like never before. Texas plays at Ames on that date. If Texas loses for the 3rd straight time to Iowa State, Herman would be fired on the spot. If it's a new coach, he would be questioned/ridiculed by the fan base, donors, and Cowherd about whether or not he was the right choice. Cowherd said weeks ago that Texas should never lose to Iowa State (as if Cowherd knows squat). It's circled on my calendar. Please God, let it happen.

Whoever the Texas coach is on October 23, 2021, they will be under immense pressure like never before. Texas plays at Ames on that date. If Texas loses for the 3rd straight time to Iowa State, Herman would be fired on the spot. If it's a new coach, he would be questioned/ridiculed by the fan base, donors, and Cowherd about whether or not he was the right choice. Cowherd said weeks ago that Texas should never lose to Iowa State (as if Cowherd knows squat). It's circled on my calendar. Please God, let it happen.
Texas should never lose to anyone in any sport. Period. Unlimited money, great facilities, tremendous tradition, and sitting in the middle of the best recruiting territory in America.

Reactions: HawkinK.C.1
Texas is so delusional. First, they all thought it was a done deal. The bloggers/writes fed the fire with "sources told me" shit. Then it came out that he wasn't coming. Everyone backed off.

Then they all talked themselves into this just being cover. They're only saying he's not coming at this point b/c the plan is to steal all tOSU assistants and he doesn't want to disrupt the season. So right when the season is done they're going to announce it. That's the current line of thinking.

Reality is, those in the know are saying that it's more likely Herman gets another year. Give it like a month and they'll all have themselves convinced that Herman is gonna get it done and the talent is there and 2021 is their year. Then by this time next year we'll be back here. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Serious question: Why is Herman struggling so much? All that talent and they should only be losing once a year at the most.

Same thing w/ Harbaugh; he should only be losing once or twice a year, at the most.

Stoops would be crazy to take the Texas job. He's 61 and comfortably retired. Why would he want hundreds of fatcat boosters telling him what he needs to do with his football team? Better to drive down for the OU-Texas game and flip them off while driving home.

Texas has been losing the recruiting battle for in state talent for years. The Adrian Peterson to OU was a once in a blue moon thing, now it is common.

Texas losing recruiting battle

They've still had top 10 recruiting classes for something like 4 straight years. They should still be better.

I think there is something...off, in the whole Texas AD. Mack Brown peters out, then comes back in his late 60s at NC and probably has them as good as Texas. Rick Barnes is completely underwhelming at the end of his tenure for MBB, then goes to Tennessee and does remarkably better than he was doing at UT. Something is going on there and I don't know what.

Reactions: redghost1974
The guy hasn't been sitting in a retirement home since leaving Norman. He has a lot left in the tank. Just last year he was GM/Head Coach of the Dallas XFL team, and would still be had Covid not brought an end to that league. Some people are obsessed that he's sixty and ready to be done, but his own actions have proven that's not the case. I doubt he'd come back to Texas, but if the right situation presented itself in the NFL or Iowa City, I think he'd at least entertain the offer.

GM/HC of XFL is 5% of the commitment of the HFC of Texas or Oklahoma.

I think he would entertain offers. But right now he kind of gets to have his cake and eat it, too.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Serious question: Why is Herman struggling so much? All that talent and they should only be losing once a year at the most.

Same thing w/ Harbaugh; he should only be losing once or twice a year, at the most.

Outside of the middle part of the Mack Brown era, this is who Texas has been since the late 70s. Good to average. Texas expectations are to be tOSU when they're actually more like Wisconsin.

Then you have a whole basket load of challenges. Texas job is wildly political. More so than any job in CFB. Most coaches have challenges balancing the work required there with the on field job. Then Herman himself has proven to be a pretty bad leader and mediocre coach. Some bad schemes...Sam E is a good player, but he's not a good fit for a downfield passing attack. No adjustment made based on the horses they have. Then up front they've been really bad. Have two guys that are really good, one on each side, but the rest are bad. They've missed on most of their plan a and b guys and haven't developed those plan C guys.

This year has been extra special. Coming into the year they talked players out of transferring. They had a player quit mid game and let him back on the team the next day. Then the Eyes of Texas debacle.

Long story short, tons of holes on the roster and poor leadership = another average year.

The guy hasn't been sitting in a retirement home since leaving Norman. He has a lot left in the tank. Just last year he was GM/Head Coach of the Dallas XFL team, and would still be had Covid not brought an end to that league. Some people are obsessed that he's sixty and ready to be done, but his own actions have proven that's not the case. I doubt he'd come back to Texas, but if the right situation presented itself in the NFL or Iowa City, I think he'd at least entertain the offer.

I just don't see it honestly. He was just on a podcast done by former players and said his agent has received a ton of inquiries. Response is always the same...he's retired. He's always said he'd not hang around forever and it looks like he's standing by that.

Could be wrong, but Bob has always been a pretty straight forward guy. I'll be surprised if he's ever a head coach in college or NFL.

Bob Stoops to Iowa

Tom Herman to the Titty Bar

Urban Meyer only might come back for ND, nothing else.

I think Meyer only "talked" to Texas to piss Herman off for spouting his mouth during the Zach Smith drama.
Urban Meyer is Alabama’s next coach. You heard it here first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT